BLITZ Agency Reviews | Glassdoor

Ivan Todorov

1. "Software Developer"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at BLITZ Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Truly a great place to work, fantastic all around.

The tech department is great, full of smart, capable people who love to learn and get stuff done. It's headed by a great manager who encourages everyone to be their best and is a really great leader.

Other departments are solid as well, and working with everyone was always a pleasure.

The company's leadership is very much present "in the trenches". Both of the co-founders know everyone's name and are personable and approachable.

Cons

At times it felt like clients controlled the agency, as numerous "bad" (for a variety of reasons) requests/demands were heeded to without question.

Advice to Management

Keep the feeling of a small, close-knit group as much as possible, and perhaps make it more obvious to employees that you have their backs when dealing with clients. Few things are as frustrating as compromising quality of work knowing it doesn't have to be that way.

2. "staff"

Former Employee - QA Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - QA Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at BLITZ Agency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and fun to work at

Cons

Merger with the larger company caused stress. IMO working out how BLITZ and the other newly acquired companies will work together has taken too long. I understand this my be working at the higher levels, but not in the lower levels.

"Great people but sub-par leadership and corporate culture."

I have been working at BLITZ Agency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Blitz is interesting. Like many agencies, they hire really great and smart people. Everyone I've worked with has been collaborative and have definitely made working seem less like "work".

The office is in the howard hughes promenade in Culver City and is in a beautiful building. Plenty of parking which is a severely underrated perk.

Blitz is generally transparent about company happenings which is a great quality. They keep the group informed about updates with the company and the CEO talks to employees directly about changes to the company which is nice

Work/Life balance is generally better than other agencies I've worked for.

Cons

The culture varies depending on which department you're in. Are you a developer? Work from wherever you want. Account Manager or Project Manager? Better ask for permission first! Company policies are enforced at will and at the discretion of each department head...and some department heads focus more on policing employees than trying to create great work for some reason.

The client list and work isn't all that sexy. Blitz loves taking on clients that "keep the lights on" instead of trying to create campaigns that are interesting, innovative or creative. All work is uninspired (at client direction most times) and they lose talent because of it.

Advice to Management

Rather than give advice to management (as if they even read this or care), I'd rather give advice to potential BLITiZens...

You WONT enjoy working here if...
    - You value doing work that you can put in your portfolio. Blitz doesn't do work that will get you hired at bigger agencies.

- You enjoy a "we hired you because you're smart, so we'll get out of your way" culture. Blitz loves ruining the creative process with corporate policy and work-style policing. Some in Blitz leadership are incapable of seeing the bigger picture and understanding what's truly important, but this varies from team to team, which makes it even more poisonous as it breeds resentment. Larger agencies are better at this (*cough* 72andSunny *cough*)

- You enjoy streamlined processes. Doing simple things is such a process of involving 3 or more parties and forms. The lack of autonomy and freedom is stifling.

You WILL enjoy working here if...
    - You genuinely enjoy technology. Blitz seems to actually value working on bleeding edge technology. Unfortunately many clients on their roster don't have budgets to do anything interesting, but internally there is often lots of opportunity to explore up and coming technology.

- You like working with really bright and collaborative people. And if you want to laugh, visit the crew in the "backrow".

- You generally enjoy a good work/life balance. Blitz as a company supports a great work/life balance, however that's not to say that some clients or account person won't try to step over that line. You'll still need to defend your own time occasionally.

Overall, younger agency professionals will enjoy Blitz more than the older and more experienced veteran.

5. "Web Developer"

Former Employee - Web Developer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at BLITZ Agency (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, management was easy to work with, laid back environment, fun company. Company events were always fun, you get paid time off between Christmas and new years.

Cons

Although everyone is friendly, every department tends to stick together. The commute to Santa Monica sucked from anywhere outside of Santa Monica, although I think they moved by now.

6. "Good Company"

Former Employee - Web Developer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Great team, friendly and knowledgeable people.
    Their mind is always on the latest tech.

Cons

Projects could be better
    long hours sometimes

"Nice Welcome, Better Goodbye"

Pros

The people and work/life balance.

Cons

The culture was great until the company was acquired and many employees left because the office became more "corporate." The location used to be located right on 3rd street promenade, but then the office moved to the Howard Hughes Center. They didn't offer much training and it was learning on the job, which wasn't the most efficient.

Advice to Management

Don't be too busy to answer questions and help out others.

8. "Great Company!"

I worked at BLITZ Agency full-time

Pros

Recently acquired by new management - things took a very positive turn!
    Very friendly, outgoing people

Cons

I was working in the wrong position for my interests, thats really the only downside I had

9. "An agency I called 'home'"

Former Employee - Senior Director, Business Development in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Director, Business Development in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

BLITZ is one of the most creative and tech-forward agencies I have had the pleasure of working at.They are made up of an exceptionally talented team of individuals who continuously strive to be the best, even after they achieve it. The confidence and belief that the leadership place in the rest of the team is unparalleled...with this comes a camaraderie and closeness that brings a feeling of family to the agency. The work is amazing and fun, the clients top notch. They helped me grow and beyond a career I received an education during my 4 years at the agency. Definitely a great place to work!

Cons

The cons are what they would be at any company, everyone has their own frustrations and issues with their teams, employers and direct reports, especially during growth. There aren't that many cons I can think of.

10. "Smart work, good energy."

Pros

I enjoyed walking in to the office every day. I felt valued and respected. I liked the people I worked with and the hustle and care that shaped all of the work that's created. As a working parent, I was also grateful for the ability to have boundaries with working hours and after hours. There is good process in place and tons of enthusiasm to push boundaries in digital.

Cons

I'd be reaching to find cons big enough, in my opinion, worth noting.

11. "Being a BLITiZen Rocked"

I worked at BLITZ Agency full-time

Pros

To say my experience at BLITZ was anything short of awesome would be an understatement. While I worked at BLITZ I saw the company go through peaks and valleys, grow in size and capabilities, and morph into the one of a kind full service agency it is today.

The culture is top notch and talent is, well, uber talented. The overall company atmosphere is fun and creative.

The brands you get to work with are pretty great too. While at BLITZ I had the opportunity to work with many well known brands on some pretty cool stuff. Definitely work that I am extremely proud to say I was apart of and because of the culture and talent at BLITZ I got to work with some of the best teams and people in the industry.

Cons

Just like an other agency/company BLITZ did have some areas of weakness. While having the opportunity to grow and work on more was always available, being recognized with promotions was tough. Also, because of the fast paced environment and clientele, there was a tendency to work long hours.