BMC Software Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Peter Leav

Pros
Cons
  • a bit lack in work/life balance depending on your department (in 34 reviews)

• Some senior management lack people management skill (in 16 reviews)

1. "Great company, awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Incredible respect for employees, great working environment, challenging business and technical opportunities, good people. I've worked for a number of companies as both an employee and as a consultant, hands down and without any hesitation BMC Software is the best place I've ever worked. It's a large company so you get the benefits and infrastructure of such but it also has a highly focused product set and feels like a much smaller company with easy access to executive leadership.

Cons

It's a large organization so it can be difficult at times to see how your contributions are affecting the bottom line or increasing marketshare.

Advice to Management

More 'promote from within' opportunities would probably make this one of the best places to work in the world.

2. "Good place to work. So-so pay."

Current Employee - Senior Software Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Software Consultant

Pros

Great work life balance. Managers are generally respectful of your personal time and treat you like a professional. Expect to have to learn a lot of new products all the time without being micromanaged. Sales people arepretty good but expect to have to manage them a lot because they are very pushy.

Cons

Don't know yet. Pay and commission is on the industry low side.

Advice to Management

More $$$ for software consultants, in base pay and commission. Involve software consultants more in the account development and relationship process.

3. "BMC is a fun, innovative company to work for"

Former Employee - Event Specialist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Event Specialist in Houston, TX

Pros

VERY flexible, wonderful 401K, excellent benefits (work from home, flex time). Young

Cons

The job deserves more in compensation

Advice to Management

Promote more within the company

5. "BMC is a good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Lots of growth opportunity exists. I have been able to transition across departments and functions easily. It really is good to have this flexibility.

Cons

Compensation advances are non-existent. Too many managers. Too many reorganizations. I believe advancement should come from withing more than from outside.

Advice to Management

Increase base salaries commensurate with industry. Too often we are not compensated enough and this can create dissappointment. Enough said, but still trying.

6. "GREAT PLACE"

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Houston, TX

Pros

Great place to work. Everyone is intelligent because they have good recruiters. Great managers to train you. Great resources available to do your job well. Great work/life balance.

Cons

There really aren't any cons to this job. They expect a lot out of you and so you must deliver on that.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you're doing. The training gets better and better through constant attention and evolution. The morale is very high, great job!

"Amazing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Growth, money, market share, good management, BMC looks for hardworking people and pay for it.

Cons

HEARD of corporate polotics. Doesn't mean it's bad since I HEAR most companies have it worse.

Advice to Management

Some reorg changes don't need to be as often.

8. "Great people and interesting work with lots of career opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Global company with resources but has a small company feel where every person matters and the work you do is important to the Company's success.

Cons

The work is challenging and you will need to stretch yourself.

9. "Among the best of the best"

Current Employee - Senior Software Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

From the day I started, I was extremely impressed with the caliber of individual contributors as well as the leadership at BMC. I was also impressed with the rigor associated with the hiring process and I suppose this is a major contributing factor to my first comment.

Cons

As with any sales organization the pressure to perform can be intense - be ready to be your best and always be looking for ways to improve. This means starting with the first day of interviews and continuing throughout your career. BMC can be a tough company to get into but the rigor of the hiring process becomes immediately evident when you start working with this great team.

Advice to Management

Focus on product marketing and alignment. You've grown through acquisition and your strengths have come from your ability to swiftly assimilate the various products and corporate cultures of the on-boarding companies. As we continue to grow, it is critically important that we maintain this agility but also be consistent with product naming and enforce this through the ranks. Speaking as a former IT professional on the buy side, customers want uniformity and congruity across product offerings, especially considering our primary target customer base: large enterprise, multiple product value-based solutions.

"The best place I ever worked for."

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Houston, TX

I worked at BMC Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talented workforce. Interesting and challenging work. Couldn't wait to get to work in the morning- the work was that much fun.

Cons

Constant layoffs have led to a lot of unproductive politics. I chose to leave for family reasons, even though I was offered the opportunity to telecommute. I knew that I would be endangering my family as the telecommuters are out of the loop so easy to axe when the quarterly statement dictates a cut. I still miss BMC but family first (aging parents)

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the people, products and long term plan -- ignore the quarterly variability. Take a page from Alan mulally's play book.

Stop the constant offshoring to make short term numbers look good, and sacrificing the long term. Remember we were the best little software house in Texas because of the dedicated people working non-stop voluntarily.

"Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Senior Software Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at BMC Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Value employees who contribute and get rid of those who don't

Cons

Need to make sure people know what you do and why you add value

Advice to Management

Focus on core product strategy of high-value (solve real problems) and are high-quality and easy to use. Continue to provide the best personalized support on the planet.