BMC Software Reviews in San Jose, CA | Glassdoor

3.5
Peter Leav

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • a bit lack in work/life balance depending on your department (in 34 reviews)

• Slow growth in revenue, lack of appreciation in the middle management (in 16 reviews)

1. "Principal Solution Engineer with 17+ years experience"

Current Employee - Principal Solution Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Solution Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Invest in new technologies constantly

Cons

Quick changes at the leadership

"Not competitive salary compared to other bay area companies."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good work life balance. Workload is manageable most of the time except near the end of release.

Cons

Salary is not competitive. Bonus is always paid at 50% because of unsatisfactory company performance even though employee performance is above expectation.

Advice to Management

Please compare salary with other bay area companies and revise salary to retain employees. Also it does not match when we get a rosy picture of company performance throughout the year and then pay 50% bonus at the end because of not achieving target. Please be honest with employees while sharing updates on company performance.

BMC Software Response

Jul 20, 2017 – Employee Experience Coordinator

Your feedback is greatly appreciated. We are thrilled you, like many others at BMC, appreciate the great work/life balance we foster in our culture. Its a huge selling point at BMC. Thank you also... More

"As Many Mid-sized Tech Companies go in the Silicon Valley- Not great, But Not bad"

Current Employee - Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been with BMC for 4 years now and I've seen so many changes during this time. The Flexibility of working from home is absolutely ideal. My commute into the Santa Clara office can sometimes be as long as 2 hours, so this flexibility is huge for me. The people of the SCC campus team are great, friendly and very knowledgeable. Free lunch is provided 4 days a week, so that saves time and money, and the pantry area is always stocked with snacks, fruits and breakfast items to keep you going. There is also free Soda, coffee & Tea. We've been in the SCC offices for about 18 months now, and they are nice and bright with windows everywhere. The workstations are fully adjustable allowing both standing and sitting. Although a very open-concept workspace, it is fairly low in the noise level. The Sr. Management offices are in the interior, allowing all others the floor to ceiling window views, which is quite nice.
    The benefits package is pretty good with decent choices. Lots of Informational gatherings about industry standards and cutting edge technology. Great supportive sessions for women in the workplace and guest speakers coming onto the campus.

Cons

There has been several Sr. Executive layoffs over the past 4 years. In 4 years, I've had 4 bosses, seen at least 6 Sr. executives get laid off. Every April there are layoffs, and you never know if it'll be your turn (there doesn't seem to be a method to the madness). Although we have a twice annual bonus structure, in 4 years I have only seen a 100% payout once, it usually only pays out 50%, then depending on your ratings (can be less than that). In 2017, moral has been super low, we've seen the President or our division get his walking papers, and so many more changes within the SCC location , it seems most people have doubts or uncertainties about their future here. The current overall climate is quite and no-one talks about the most recent changes out loud. Sr. staff attempts to give reassurances, but I can tell folks are questioning their future with BMC. No where enough cultural diversity. The scales are tipped drastically in favor of "cheap labor." Making it impossible to hire more diversity within the USA. There is a new company president, so lets see how things finally shake up.

4. "Volunteer at BMC"

Former Employee - UI/User Experience Intern in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - UI/User Experience Intern in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Always very clear about to do. So you work fast and efficient. She is one the female leader for tech. She gets strong background of everything you would talk about.

Cons

Nothing much. She is a great leader, and a great adviser,very easy to talk to and friendly. She always clear about what to do for everyone.

Advice to Management

Work or talk with her if you have a chance. She is the smartest woman I have ever seen.

5. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at BMC Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefit and people to work with, flexible work hours.

Cons

lots of wasteful spending, people travel are used as rewards as to business required.

"Standard Software company"

Former Contractor - Marketing in San Jose, CA
    Former Contractor - Marketing in San Jose, CA

I worked at BMC Software as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

BMC has nice people and friendly environment. Although working in office is encouraged, there is flexibility to work remote when needed.

Cons

The company has too many meetings. It sometimes felt like there was a meeting just to pick a time for another meeting. Little time is left to do the actual work discussed in the meetings.

"The Donald Trump of tech."

Current Employee - Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like Donald Trump, this is the place for you. His style is what BMC execs would consider nuanced and sophisticated.

Cons

Most of the executive team appears to have graduated from Donald Trump university. There's a reason why this company is dying.

Advice to Management

A more ridiculous group of execs is hard to find. So no advice for them.

8. "Senior Product Developer"

Former Employee - Senior Product Developer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Developer in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Stay ahead of technology, motivating managers.

Cons

Try to get work done with fewer employees. So work load is always heavy.

9. "life at BMC"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in San Jose, CA

Pros

balanced work and personal life

Cons

in efficient management of resources

"Salesforce Architech"

Former Employee - Salesforce Architect in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Salesforce Architect in San Jose, CA

I worked at BMC Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good work culture and policies

Cons

Innovate new product or technology

Advice to Management

Innovation

Showing 64 of 1,024 reviews