BMM Logistics Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Mike Stanojevic

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Company Trending in the Right Direction"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at BMM Logistics (More than a year)

Pros

BMM is a growing company that has a fun and exciting atmosphere. They continue to expand by bringing on new employees and creating opportunities for current ones. BMM promotes from within so you can make manager in less than 3 years if you come in and make an immediate impact on the company. There is unlimited earning potential and uncapped commission.

Free breakfast every Monday and lunch at the end of every month. Poker tournaments, costume contests and end-of-quarter celebrations make for an awesome atmosphere.

I am in the Illinois National Guard and the owners couldn't be more supportive. I had to step away from the company for four months to attend training over the summer and Mike and Mark held my position. While I was away, management continually checked up on me and managed my customers. When I came back to BMM, I was given all of my customers back and was greeted with open arms. I couldn't be more thankful for the support Mike and Mark provided during the process.

Cons

7am-5pm makes for long days, but it's the industry standard. Cold calling can be a grind when you first start, but management will provide you with leads and hand you smaller accounts if you show that you're working hard.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. The company is moving in the right direction so make sure you keep the dedicated employees around.

2. "Good casual work environment for those fresh out of school."

Former Employee - Carrier Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Carrier Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at BMM Logistics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual work environment and dress

Cons

Long Hours (Industry standard)
    Cut throat sales environment
    Very result driven, with revenue metrics not being told to employees.
    Low base salary with "ok" commission

Advice to Management

Greater transparency with what is expected of Reps in terms of metrics or sales goals

3. "Not Terrible, but not for me."

I worked at BMM Logistics full-time

Pros

Location is great. I find most everyone who works there, managers included, to be very nice, very good people. Some of them displayed incredible patience with some employees that probably shouldn't have even been there to begin with. which reflects positively on them as people. There are some good office perks such as the coffee machine, free lunches, and poker tournaments. I definitely had many good days there, which for a corporation is probably about as good as you can hope for.

Overall it's a good starter job for kids fresh out of college who may not know exactly what they want to do, or want to see how they fare in sales, not as great for serious career salesmen due to the low base pay and lack of advancement opportunities.

The corporate world however is not for me.

Cons

Lack of focus and clarity. Frankly those things probably stem from a lack of clear direction on the part of management. It's still a rather small operation despite it's exponential growth. It's growing in employees, however stymied in terms of earning potential. They have trouble keeping customers (for a variety of reasons) and retaining employees (mostly due to the horrid hours and low base pay) and at some point one and or both of those problems will need to be addressed if they want to grow. It's fine to offer low rates and take the loads no other company is going to want, but if you want to grow eventually you have to take some risks and spend money on things other than fancy new computer stands and coffee machines. Those will make your office look nice, but what's it matter if customers never actually come there anyways?

The four stars is in general taking it for what it is; a small business that seems more like a training ground for first time corporate workers and recent college graduates. I think it would be nice to see them expand beyond this since guys like Auggie, Scott, Andrew, Brian, Country and Eric, and even some of the interns a newer guys like Will, Morgan and Jeff are clearly very talented.

Advice to Management

Change the office culture and create more incentives (*cough* higher pay *cough*) to retain your employees. The hours and work may suck, but people will shovel a lot of cow dung if the price is right. The job is highly complicated and cannot be done by stupid people, nor are stupid people working there. Make your employees feel valued beyond simply telling them they did a good job. Drop the ego about the company image and allow it to grow and change beyond your vision of what you think it should be. You and your employees will benefit. A rising tide floats all boats.

Also start being more mindful about your competition. You're still playing small ball like your new to the game when you've been playing the game for near a decade. Other companies have expanded well beyond you in half that time. You have the desire, but are not creating the opportunities.

4. "Inside Sales"

I worked at BMM Logistics full-time

Pros

Fun environment, great people in the office.

Cons

7 to 5 are terrible hours. Pay is only 30k base.

5. "Great job, great company that continues to grow!!"

I have been working at BMM Logistics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Commission starts within 30 days (other logistic companies wait a year or more)
    -Great location for people from the suburbs or from the city
    -Top of the line coffee machine!
    -With the company growing comes new roles being implemented. (I became a manager after being with the company 9 months)
    -For competitive people, this job is for you! Sky is the limit if you feel comfortable talking to people.
    Lunch bought for the entire office multiple times a quarter
    -1 hr lunch

Cons

-Hours are 7am to 5pm but is standard for this industry. (As mentioned above, coffee machine is amazing and used often)
    -Office is freezing in the summer but for some people they love it. I am not one of them

Honestly, hard for me to come up with more cons.

Advice to Management

None at this time

6. "Standard B2B Sales Position"

I have been working at BMM Logistics full-time

Pros

No base sales before earning commission
    Nice Human Resources People
    Business to Business sales - not selling an annuity to grandma
    Downtown Chicago

Cons

Very difficult to start building your book of business
    Three month training period before you really start earning commission
    Extremely low base pay

Advice to Management

Try to give your employees a little more financial security. It is a sales job, but you can afford to pay people more than 35,000 base to live in Chicago

"Wait....are we still in high school?"

Pros

While it is going good for them it's good for you, but if the wind changes or you are on the wrong side of the gossip ring you will probably move on for something serious.

Cons

The hours are long and the atmosphere is like being in high school all over again. It's the kind of place you work while looking for something else.

"Small business, big operation- Hats off"

Former Employee - Sales Account Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Account Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at BMM Logistics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I read a lot of mixed reviews online and bashing this small business is just not fair. I worked there a little over 2 years and here is what I have to say about BMM:
    - Great experience- I really enjoyed learning from peers and from owners directly. Do owners make mistakes? Yes. Do they have good intentions? I say very much so.
    -Short and effective training program. I think their training program is short, sweet and to the point. The training gives you the knowledge and tools you need. I came from a different brokerage and cannot believe the time I wasted for a whole year at the first place.
    -Great people: the atmosphere at BMM is mostly positive. Most of the guys are motivated to make money which kept me motivated.
    -Location: the location cannot be beat. All modes of transportation available.
    -Salary is average. COMMISSION is AWESOME: the owners and managers do not nickel and dime. They pay out what is deserved. My checks never bounced. Owners are financially aware and plan very well. It felt good knowing my check was good to cash.
    I was offered a management position in near future. If I didn't leave the industry I'd still be there as a manager.

Cons

-Long hours but this is standard for industry. 7-5pm.
    -Office politics can ruin the owners goals and objectives. People tried to give me the "411" when I got there... "Mark (the owner) does this does that.. and Mike does that does this..." I like to experience things my own way. "They" almost gave me a bad impression of owners which is not the case. Again I don't work there anymore and still feel like I had to say that. If anything it's the people that are there just talking bad.. IGNORE.
    -Office is a little cramped. The table set up is not ideal for me but it worked.
    -Numbers. Owners and managers look at numbers sometimes more than the person. But it is sales... mixed feelings on this.
    Back stabbers. I saw a lot of guys really "cool with owners and managers" but inside they hate them... if you don't like it there LEAVE.. not sure why they're still there.. Big con drag the mood down. Always complaining
    Carpet is green.

Advice to Management

o the owners. I know it isn't easy but you guys do a great job trying to please/and tailor your business to everyone. I understand you guys don't like loans or have investors so sometimes pressure is on. Try to relax and focus on goals. Again, I never owned a business but try to give people a longer chance to prove themselves. If you think someone doesn't have BMM's best interest I would get rid of them because they really bring office mood down AND try to influence new employees right away. Managers: be more active... sometimes you take your position for granted and just expect us to pound the phones with no direction. GET MORE INVOLVED. Owners over all CARE deeply about company and employees. They have a business to run. Not a popularity contest. Thanks for the opportunity. I LEARNED A LOT! 5 star!

9. "My Experience Thus Far"

I have been working at BMM Logistics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment and culture. It’s a really relaxed work environment and people generally get along. Management is more relaxed than at other brokerages and not constantly micro-managing the reps. The biggest upside at BMM is the growth potential; It’s a relatively small company, so there are still a lot of great accounts on the table, as opposed to a lot of bigger brokerages I have worked with. I was able to close some fortune 500 company accounts very easily and experiance growth pretty quickly. You can make 6 figures pretty quikly if you work hard. An averege person makes around 45K after the first 6 months.

It is a good place for indeviduals that are self and money motivated. The opportunity of growth is limitless and in your own hands.

Cons

The industry itself can be very stressful. Also, Working 7-5 is a long day, but It’s the industry standard so I guess that just the way the Logistics industry is.

10. "Fast paced company and industry with room for personal and company growth."

I have been working at BMM Logistics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First and foremost the people that work at BMM are great. The company has been growing extremely rapidly which opens the doors for a lot of career opportunities and upward mobility. Since BMM is still growing it's not like stepping into a sales organization with the majority of accounts already spoken for. There is a lot of room for success financially. If you put in the work, you will inevitably enjoy financial success.

The sales managers are great. They know and understand logistics. Management definitely has their finger on the pulse of today's business environment.

The location is great and is an easy commute from just about anywhere in Chicago. The owners have also shown they will invest to scale their business to maintain growth.

Cons

-The work week can be long but this also weeds out employees who are not motivated.
    -Work life balance could be better. Possibly a little flexibility on when you start and end your day would go a long way with employee retention.

Advice to Management

Keep on the same path but continue to improve policies and flexibility with employees. A break during the day can lead to more productivity not less productivity. Trust your current employees that they will get the job done that is expected of them.