BMM Transportation Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at BMM Transportation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Young & fast paced work environment
    - Great location in the loop
    - 401k matched by BMM
    - Plenty of opportunity to grow
    - Pop-a-shot in the office

Cons

- Workday is 7am-5pm which is a little long but that's just the nature of the logistics business

Advice to Management

More company Happy Hours! They're always a good time and everyone loves to get out of work a little early so they go hang out with co-workers outside the office

2. "Small business, big operation- Hats off"

Former Employee - Sales Account Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Account Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at BMM Transportation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I read a lot of mixed reviews online and bashing this small business is just not fair. I worked there a little over 2 years and here is what I have to say about BMM:
    - Great experience- I really enjoyed learning from peers and from owners directly. Do owners make mistakes? Yes. Do they have good intentions? I say very much so.
    -Short and effective training program. I think their training program is short, sweet and to the point. The training gives you the knowledge and tools you need. I came from a different brokerage and cannot believe the time I wasted for a whole year at the first place.
    -Great people: the atmosphere at BMM is mostly positive. Most of the guys are motivated to make money which kept me motivated.
    -Location: the location cannot be beat. All modes of transportation available.
    -Salary is average. COMMISSION is AWESOME: the owners and managers do not nickel and dime. They pay out what is deserved. My checks never bounced. Owners are financially aware and plan very well. It felt good knowing my check was good to cash.
    I was offered a management position in near future. If I didn't leave the industry I'd still be there as a manager.

Cons

-Long hours but this is standard for industry. 7-5pm.
    -Office politics can ruin the owners goals and objectives. People tried to give me the "411" when I got there... "Mark (the owner) does this does that.. and Mike does that does this..." I like to experience things my own way. "They" almost gave me a bad impression of owners which is not the case. Again I don't work there anymore and still feel like I had to say that. If anything it's the people that are there just talking bad.. IGNORE.
    -Office is a little cramped. The table set up is not ideal for me but it worked.
    -Numbers. Owners and managers look at numbers sometimes more than the person. But it is sales... mixed feelings on this.
    Back stabbers. I saw a lot of guys really "cool with owners and managers" but inside they hate them... if you don't like it there LEAVE.. not sure why they're still there.. Big con drag the mood down. Always complaining
    Carpet is green.

Advice to Management

o the owners. I know it isn't easy but you guys do a great job trying to please/and tailor your business to everyone. I understand you guys don't like loans or have investors so sometimes pressure is on. Try to relax and focus on goals. Again, I never owned a business but try to give people a longer chance to prove themselves. If you think someone doesn't have BMM's best interest I would get rid of them because they really bring office mood down AND try to influence new employees right away. Managers: be more active... sometimes you take your position for granted and just expect us to pound the phones with no direction. GET MORE INVOLVED. Owners over all CARE deeply about company and employees. They have a business to run. Not a popularity contest. Thanks for the opportunity. I LEARNED A LOT! 5 star!

3. "My Experience Thus Far"

I have been working at BMM Transportation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment and culture. It’s a really relaxed work environment and people generally get along. Management is more relaxed than at other brokerages and not constantly micro-managing the reps. The biggest upside at BMM is the growth potential; It’s a relatively small company, so there are still a lot of great accounts on the table, as opposed to a lot of bigger brokerages I have worked with. I was able to close some fortune 500 company accounts very easily and experiance growth pretty quickly. You can make 6 figures pretty quikly if you work hard. An averege person makes around 45K after the first 6 months.

It is a good place for indeviduals that are self and money motivated. The opportunity of growth is limitless and in your own hands.

Cons

The industry itself can be very stressful. Also, Working 7-5 is a long day, but It’s the industry standard so I guess that just the way the Logistics industry is.

5. "Fast paced company and industry with room for personal and company growth."

I have been working at BMM Transportation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First and foremost the people that work at BMM are great. The company has been growing extremely rapidly which opens the doors for a lot of career opportunities and upward mobility. Since BMM is still growing it's not like stepping into a sales organization with the majority of accounts already spoken for. There is a lot of room for success financially. If you put in the work, you will inevitably enjoy financial success.

The sales managers are great. They know and understand logistics. Management definitely has their finger on the pulse of today's business environment.

The location is great and is an easy commute from just about anywhere in Chicago. The owners have also shown they will invest to scale their business to maintain growth.

Cons

-The work week can be long but this also weeds out employees who are not motivated.
    -Work life balance could be better. Possibly a little flexibility on when you start and end your day would go a long way with employee retention.

Advice to Management

Keep on the same path but continue to improve policies and flexibility with employees. A break during the day can lead to more productivity not less productivity. Trust your current employees that they will get the job done that is expected of them.

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Customer Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at BMM Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free coffee and easy transportation. Potential for good money. You get what you put in. You work in the loop.

Cons

Training isn't well crafted. Hard to understand what you do without seeing it. Communication wasn't well crafted between management and what is expected.

Advice to Management

Better communication

"Brutal work, bad managers, worse owners"

Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at BMM Transportation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your coworkers are fun to talk to about sports and your dress code is non existent, which is nice, if you like looking like you work in an arcade.

Cons

The owners are, to put nicely, awful people and they run an incredibly shady business. I can personally guarantee that any of the good reviews written were created with the owners over the employees shoulders, as I saw it happen on multiple occasions. Their business practices are shady and dishonest and I saw them withold payment to clients and drivers for no reason regularly. Also, after I quit, I had to personally follow up with the owners multiple times just to get the rest of my commission I was owed.

Advice to Management

Management tries their best but their hands are tied by the awful owners. Learn to be ethical and trustworthy in business will go a long way. Until you get new owners, you will always be known as a shady establishment across the industry.

"Textbook definition of a "churn 'n burn"; DO NOT APPLY HERE"

I worked at BMM Transportation full-time

Pros

Everyone in sales is super laid-back, work environment can be fun. Commission portion of salary is relatively competitive in the face of the meager $30K salary they couple it with.

Cons

Where do I even start:

1. Say goodbye to any social life you have: Office hours are 7-5 Mon-Fri with an unpaid hour-long lunch, more than an hour longer than the industry average.

2. Commuting is equivalent to the Lord of the Rings series; Unless you actually live downtown, weekly commute totals up to about 200 a month which they will NOT reimburse you for.

3. Monkey on your back: I never knew what the term "micromanagement" meant until this job, and now I understand why it ISN't a good tool for leading a business. To start, management will literally stand over your shoulder/listen in on your conversations, no sense of privacy whatsoever. In addition, sales managers have absolutely no idea how to motivate or educate their team member aside from insults and harsh criticisms whenever they encounter something they believe as "wrong" with all the understanding and flexibility of a political dictator.

4. Office Politics: If you aren't one of the "Bosses' favorites" don't expect any actual help from any of the managers, regardless of sales made, revenue earned. If you have a question, better ask a coworker because the managers will berate you for having to ask them, regardless of whatever question you actually have. If you ARE one of the "office pets" however, feel free to do whatever you feel like doing as long as you look like you're working.

5. Gordon Gecko's Paradise: dishonesty and morally questionable conduct found in the workplace as well as when dealing with clients or potential customers: countless claims by previous clients and even former employees citing short-payment for services rendered, portions of sales commission withheld without reason or compensation, and the implementation of a new office policy completely negating the Department of Transportation's mandatory "less hours or more pay" legislation. In short, these guys are only concerned with money and not actually growing their business or their employees; one bad week and they'll show you the door, whether you've been there a week or a year.

Advice to Management

Realize human beings are people and money is an object, not the other way around if you actually want to see this company expand. Also lose the sports posters on the windows, it's an office not a dungeon

9. "Customer account executive"

Current Employee - Customer Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at BMM Transportation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great casual atmosphere for all new hires. Whether it's from people in similar positions all the way up to the owners.
    Casual dress and familiarity makes it easy to get along and communicate with your coworkers.
    Great commission structure that starts day 1.

Cons

The hours can be long to start out with when you begin because of the work and time you have to put in to become successful.

"Fun people"

I worked at BMM Transportation full-time

Pros

Great people to work with
    If work hard, you will make money
    Great location

Cons

Not much help
    Owners are on you like sharks
    People argue way too much
    What have you done for me lately type place
    Try to get you to compete with your coworkers and not like each other
    No room for growth

11. "Great atmosphere and good work"

Former Employee - Carrier Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Carrier Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at BMM Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work hard for your money
    Fun-loving people
    Independent

Cons

Start with low pay
    Good amount of arguing between co-workers