BMO Capital Markets Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
BMO Capital Markets CEO Patrick Cronin
Patrick Cronin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "BMO has a great work life balance and balanced corporate culture" (in 18 reviews)

• "Fast paced work environment with great salary and benefits" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Poor work life balance, as with all investment banking jobs" (in 11 reviews)

• "Analyst and associates have poor work life balance even for investment banking" (in 9 reviews)

"Managing Director"

Current Employee - Managing Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Managing Director in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Management values hard work and productivity and treats people well. Emphasis placed on teamwork and cooperation. Good leadership. Very good place to work.

Cons

Workplace technology needs significant investment. Brand is still building in the US. Limited presence outside North America. Compensation slightly lags street average.

Advice to Management

Bite the bullet and invest in workplace technology.

2. "Good experience"

Pros

Great learning experience. Exposure to clients. A lot of training that is beneficial to any job. If you do well, you will get a return offer.

Cons

Poor work life balance, as with all investment banking jobs.

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at BMO Capital Markets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coverage on desk when sick or on vacation, 18 days vacation, business casual attire, internal opportunities to grow

Cons

pretty corporate in terms of growth - need to follow certain steps. you dont just get a raise after working really hard

4. "The worst job of my career"

I worked at BMO Capital Markets full-time

Pros

You can wear jeans to the office.

Cons

The medical benefits have an extremely high deductible. Micro-managed environment, a great deal of favoritism. Low pay for administrative staff, a lot of turn around - people aren't happy so they stay for a short period of time then move on to a better paying job.

Advice to Management

Train senior management to do their job fairly without being bias. More training is needed to ensure management isn't creating a hostel work environment.

5. "BMO hires a lot of Admin Asst/ Floaters so if that is potentially you, you should really read this!!"

Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at BMO Capital Markets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I went From (contractor) Generalist/Floater to (permanent) Senior Administrative Assistant
    I was brought on as a floater for a few months before being offered a permanent role. I lucked out because I learned quickly that a lot of floaters are not always offered permanent positions right away even though you’re told you will be. So if you’re looking to go permanent within 6 months to a year, be prepared for that not to happen. There are cases where you are made an offer but the majority of the time you are not. Even the good ones are often told to wait several months or sometimes years, with their contracts being renewed and extended over and over again, which can be pretty frustrating when you’re not getting all the benefits that a permanent employee would get get.

Every few months or so we have admin team outings and ‘take a breaks’ where we can step away from the desk for 30 minutes and enjoy snacks in a conference room, complimentary of management. But a part from that the admins often don’t see each other.

Depending on the team you cover the bankers can be super nice and friendly and some others not so much. Often times the bankers can be very demanding and may treat you like a second class citizen. But the nice ones do exist here!

Permanent employees do get an end of the year bonus. But they don’t give them out easily. You have to work very hard and be almost flawless to get a decent bonus.

Depending on which team you support, work life balance can be good. But that all depends on who you support.

Cons

Although I listed some pros, there are a enough negatives that outweigh the good. Such as:

- Very high turnover. In the admin world here it is a revolving door. Literally here today and gone tomorrow.

- very expensive healthcare coverage. I feel sorry for those that have family members to cover for.

- Horrible expense system. Expenses at this company are an absolute nightmare! In order to save money BMO uses a system that isn’t as productive as other popular expense systems such as ‘Concur’. Expenses are never ending, very tedious to do, and you have to have a receipt for items as small as $0.50!! Can you imagine having to call places asking for a missing receipt for fifty cents?? Most
    Companies give a minimum of $25 no receipt needed and often times the bankers lose receipts so it’s easy for you to spend hours tracking receipts down by calling places. 85% of the job as an Admin here is handling expenses. It’s not that they are hard to do, it’s just so many extra unnecessary steps that becomes very time consuming and exhausting. And I must add that the expense team that approves submitted expense reports take a very long time to review your report and often times cards get shut off for non payment while the report you submitted is still sitting in the queue waiting for approval, leaving you with a very angry banker who’s card keeps decking while they are traveling. Also reports get rejected for everything. Which also can be very frustrating. I completely understand that expenses are part of the job, but BMO really needs to improve the way the expense system works. It’s such a big part of our job that you can’t leave us Admins frustrated all the time.. I can go on and on, but hopefully you get the picture.

- Not too many career opportunities for Admins. Although it is very possible to grow and move on to something else. It’s not always a given. You have to raise your hand and push for it.

- in our New York office they hire a lot of contractor admins ‘floaters’ aka ‘Generalists’ to work permanent roles but keep them as contract in order to preserve headcount which is extremely unfair

- We have a team lead who’s supposed to be an “advocate” For the admins but instead will go behind your back and often go against you in order to please the bankers.

Overall being an admin here is just a ‘okay’. It’s hard to stay passionate when the work is redundant and upper management focuses on their higher level employees.

Advice to Management

Please change the expense processing system! When will you see that the way things are just doesn’t work?? Expenses take up 85% of the work we do and it becomes increasingly difficult to like your job when nothing is being done about how bad our expense system is here. Secondly the same way admins get reviewed, we should also get a chance to submit reviews for our managers (specifically our team lead). You know something needs to be done when the majority of your admins are very unhappy with management. The high turnover alone should tell you that.

6. "Senior Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at BMO Capital Markets full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Clear direction from management, friendly work environment

Cons

Lack of internal mobility

Advice to Management

Formalize cross training initiatives

7. "Overall positive experience so far"

Current Employee - Investment Banking Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Investment Banking Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at BMO Capital Markets (More than a year)

Pros

Strong shared culture, not as cutthroat as with certain other large IBs

Finally reached Street comp, reasonable hours (except for M&A team from what I've seen)

Cons

Often not willing to take on certain larger risks, which can lead to losing revenue opportunities with clients simply due to internal red tape

Advice to Management

Management is relatively new into their current position - remains to be seen in terms of effectiveness.

8. "Great Analyst Program"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at BMO Capital Markets full-time

Pros

I worked with very hardworking and intelligent team members. It was a great place to start a career in the capital markets world.

Cons

You have to know what you are getting into in that field. The hours can be very long but, it's a rewarding experience.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the happiness of junior team members. That helps to migtigate the amount of burnout felt through the high velocity work environment.

9. "Director"

I have been working at BMO Capital Markets full-time

Pros

Collegial & more friendly than most other investment banks.

Cons

Consensus-oriented. Lacking diversity at the top.

10. "Vice President"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at BMO Capital Markets full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

BMO has a great work life balance and balanced corporate culture. More career potential then at the bulge bracket firms

Cons

Risk adverse mentality towards taking risk.