BMO Financial Group Reviews | Glassdoor

1,435 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,435 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance has gotten worse over time (in 39 reviews)

• Stressful sales targets and pressure to achieve target but if you're good at your job that shouldn't matter at all (in 50 reviews)

"Eh..."

Current Employee - Compliance in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Compliance in Chicago, IL

I have been working at BMO Financial Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Life at BMO is all about your immediate manager. If you have a good one you'll have a great work-life balance and your day to day job can be pretty great.

Cons

Raises just don't exist here. If you're considering a job at BMO, negotiate a salary that you will be happy earning for several years (until you can get a different job/promotion within the bank or elsewhere). They recently decided to eliminate the pension entirely. The health insurance is pretty awful and expensive. Our technology is a total joke. Senior management is sadly out of touch and often holds "town hall" meetings that do nothing but waste time and allow management to pat themselves on the back. Everything here is very bureaucratic and there's a ton of red tape for even the most simple things.

Advice to Management

How about getting techology that works and doesn't waste tons of employee time every single day? Think through the "improvements' you are making. For example, we no longer have paper cups, instead each employee uses 5+ paper towels and wastes a lot of time daily washing a reusable mug. Is that really an improvement when you factor in all the waste time because there is only one sink for 75 people? Stop holding extremely long meetings just to pat yourselves on the back. You're great, wow, we're so impressed. Can we just get back to our jobs now? Please factor in that it takes 20 minutes to turn my computer on and I'll have to wait in a line to wash out my mug before I can get anything done. There's more than enough time being wasted.

"Branch capture associate"

Former Employee - Service Representative in Cedarburg, WI
    Former Employee - Service Representative in Cedarburg, WI

I worked at BMO Financial Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, plenty of departments to work in

Cons

Not much room for growth in some departments, always have the fear of being laid off

Advice to Management

Be truthful when you know people will be let go

"RUN AWAY FROM THIS PLACE"

Former Employee - Universal Banker in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Universal Banker in Madison, WI

Pros

It is hard to think about the pros of this company.. I guess it paid the bills.

Cons

This company is terrible! They do NOT care about their employees, they are just numbers to them. Management is horrible.. They are disrespectful, not caring, do a lot of unnecessary micro-managing, turn on you when they feel like it. They are not organized, always short-staffed, not willing to hire more people when needed. Their "help desk" is not helpful, processing requests to people you cannot contact and follow up with. The pay is decent if asked for it at the time of hiring. They hardly ever give raises and their goals are nearly impossible to reach. They will work you until you cannot take it anymore. There is so much stress in this company that you will start talking those problems home/personal life.

I read bad reviews when I got my interviews for BMO but I still gave it a try.. Big mistake.. NOT worth it, not worth it at all!!! Please take the time to educate yourself about this company before you make the commitment to work for them. Go to their branches and look at how their employees and how unhappy and stressed they are. They will offer products down people's throats to be able to make their numbers and not be yelled at by management and being forced to do outbound calls to make more sales, sales, sales.

Management ALWAYS has something to point out that your doing wrong and no matter how hard you work, it will NEVER be good enough. I worked for the company for about three years and they were very ungrateful to everything I had contributed to the company. I was never given a significant raise and when I asked for it, I was decided multiple times.

The list goes on........ RUN AWAY FROM THIS HORRIBLE FINANCIAL INSTITUTION!!!

Advice to Management

Stop focusing in sales and offer the customer service your customer's deserve, not only the wealthy ones but all of them. Stop pushing sell's down people's throat's. Stop micro-managing and burning out your employees, apprecite them. Start to truly believe in your core values, be happier, allow employees to have a normal and fair life outside of work.

"I am a Senior Premier Banker. They promise the world and deliver abuse."

Current Employee - Senior Premier Banker in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Premier Banker in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at BMO Financial Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I do not see one pro in working for the BMO organization.

Cons

Micro manage, nothing is ever good enough from any Banker throughout the entire organization. They lead with fear based tactics.

Advice to Management

Look at your management style. I do not know one satisfied employee regardless of what the surveys say. They are only anonymous within your group and when u have a group of 10 to 12 the fear based tactics work.

"Stay AWAY!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at BMO Financial Group (More than a year)

Pros

A handful of colleagues actually knew what they were doing and were very helpful. The IT group was great, as were the Telecom team.

Cons

Team "lead" was a a total bully. Never a word of encouragement, nor a word of praise for a job well done. Perceived "mistakes" were pointed out constantly. The "manager" didn't have the skills to motivate the communications group. It was the "management by fear" style. This was the absolute worst experience in a workplace I've encountered in my 20+ years as a professional.

Advice to Management

Pay close attention when hiring and promoting individuals who are in the position to manage others. So happy to have moved on to a company who respects their employees.

"Heart breaking"

Current Employee - Universal Banker in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Universal Banker in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at BMO Financial Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent compensation and benefits, though benefits stress being adjusted to match market norms. Offers wide variety of financial services.

Cons

Middle management is prone to cronyism and favouritism and it's destroying morale. Uneven handling of risky, noncompliant or even unethical behavior if they are friends with the right person. Too much staff turn over. Too little staffing. A suffocating amount of micromanagement to three point that there is no room left for employees to have ownership off their jobs. Focused only on numbers and reports and not people, counter to their brand's goals. If senior leadership is aware of what middle management is doing they aren't fixing it. If they aren't aware they should make it their job to be. The vision of the bank is great, but the disconnect between what the top says they want to be and what the middle forces the bottom to do is unnerving. Little promoting from within. Too much hiring of staff from certain banks knows for unethical behavior.

Advice to Management

Senior management needs to find out what frontline employees think about their middle managers, take it seriously, and act on it. Also, stop putting so much focus on reports. Focus back on people (customers and employees).

8. "Solid company"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at BMO Financial Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunities to grow your career; good culture

Cons

There have been significant cuts to health care and pension benefits in the past year.

"Analyst Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Flex schedule is nice as well as work/life balance.

Cons

Taking away pension, increased health insurance premium as well as increased the deductible and out of pocket amount.

"Senior Compliance Officer"

Current Employee - Senior Trust Officer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Trust Officer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at BMO Financial Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to take on new projects without out micro-management.

Cons

Corporate politics seem to an issue.

Advice to Management

Availability to team members.

"You can do better..."

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at BMO Financial Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Balanced treatment of women in the work place, process oriented and non-traditional. Change is constant.

Cons

Organized chaos, employees come in dead last in order of importance and well, if it's not Canadian it's Crap!

Advice to Management

It would be great to see some non-Canadian leadership in the mix for a balanced perspective of what global really means.

Showing 1,435 of 1,532 reviews