BMO Financial Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1,626 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Private Bank (Trust Administration)"

I have been working at BMO Financial Group full-time

Pros

Pleasant co-workers, knowledgeable co-workers, good teamwork, community focused, opportunities to do volunteer work, generous vacation time, diversity focused, decent benefits.

Cons

Too many manual processes.
    The different technology systems don't talk to each other.
    Some of the tools available to perform certain functions are inadequate or unreliable (i.e. Excel spreadsheets for tracking).
    Veteran employees are too comfortable with the manual processes and don't seem to be open to changing a process or making a process better.
    The noisy work culture interferes with productivity.

Advice to Management

Improve technology for your employees.
    Provide adequate and reliable tools to employees.
    Provide training to employees that is thorough and relevant.

"Large Company Woes"

Former Employee - Retail and Corporate Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Retail and Corporate Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at BMO Financial Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked at BMO for over 7 years. BMO is willing to promote within. While it helps to know someone, it is possible to land you next move without having a connection. BMO is an advocate for hiring culturally diverse talent. Being a large financial institution, it often pays salaries above national average (especially in corporate roles). I made many friends over the years that I keep in contact with.

Cons

Despite the higher salary, you should be prepared to juggle a multitude of responsibilities. Work-life balance can be difficult at times. Retail sales positions are highly competitive and it is difficult to meet goals. There is a lot of turnover in retail. Management is often weak in both retail and corporate. My most recent direct manager had over 70 people reporting to her (this is just poor structuring). My manager prior to that was verbally abusive and unsupportive. It was really difficult to get the attention needed as a growing professional.

Advice to Management

Give management the ability to spend more time with their teams by taking away some of their responsibilities. Don't reward under-performing employees by promoting them. A happy, well trained team means happy clients. Create a sales training for entry level retail employees. If you don't teach your employees how to engage with customers and offer solutions they will never hit their goals. Fix your technical server issues, the systems were always freezing up and crashing, this often impacted the clients in both retail and corporate. Constantly remind your employees how far the company has come from it's humble beginnings.

"analyst"

Pros

work-life balance is pretty good except for fiscal year end, salary paid reasonable

Cons

management turn over a lot with lots of transitions year to year, no sufficient training and career development. almost no horizontal rotation opportunity

4. "Technical Writer"

I worked at BMO Financial Group full-time

Pros

Convenient downtown location. Three weeks vacation standard. There is a very good selection of online training courses that are free.

Cons

High deductible health care plan. It is hard to switch positions. It is hard to get training to learn new skills that is provided outside of the online courses. Executives who treat employees badly are allowed to remain employed.

Advice to Management

Tuition should be provided for career training opportunities that do not directly apply to the individual's current position.

5. "bmo asset management"

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Whitefish Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Whitefish Bay, WI

I worked at BMO Financial Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

large organization with plentiful resources

Cons

primarily a commercial/consumer bank - little expertise in asset management

Advice to Management

needs to focus, needs to allocate more resources to sales

"Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at BMO Financial Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

17 Days Paid Vacation the day you start. Up to 7% 401(K) match with 5% contribution.Flexible work hours. Great diversity, and you are treated with respect.

Cons

There are some workplace prisoners there who sometimes challenge the change in the organization.

Advice to Management

Replace some of the outdated internal technologies. Focus to engage the workplace prisoners to better manage the performance.

"Work balance and salary"

Former Employee - Illinois in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Illinois in Chicago, IL

Pros

Depending on your manager very flexible schedule and life balance

Cons

Don't feel like the valued employee I did when starting. Few raises or bonus in the past few years although the company did very well.

Advice to Management

Do what you can to keep employees rather than keep training new ones

"Company that stands behind their employees and customers!"

Current Employee - Customer Contact Center Personal Banker in Buffalo Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Contact Center Personal Banker in Buffalo Grove, IL

I have been working at BMO Financial Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Full variety of benefits offered, infinite number of opportunities from operations, to retail banking, to management. Management and company treats the employees like they are valued to the company

Cons

Under payed for having a college degree and very strict adherence policy when it comes to the call center. If you have no choice but have to go to the bathroom, depending on your manager, you might get in trouble. They go cheaper when it comes to holiday parties...

Advice to Management

Salaries for the employees need to be raised. I have a bachelor degree in business management, and I am a call center personal banker. Change salary to least 39,000.00 base start for someone with experience and a college degree. Also change the annual bonus to a quarterly bonus when it comes to making product referrals
    To the consumers.

"Ok"

I worked at BMO Financial Group full-time

Pros

Long-term employee who was let go due to corporate restructuring, they had been a fairly decent employer for a while but the termination process was a bit impersonal.

Cons

Not allowed to take the contents of my desk and had to have them shipped to me as did my entire department. They cherry picked what they thought I needed and kept a lot of my personal items.

Advice to Management

Try not to treat employees who were not being terminated due to wrong doing as if they are criminals and show them a bit of respect.

10. "Good Opportunities"

Pros

There are many different opportunities for growth and professional development. Well diversified financial services org.

Cons

Sometimes feel disconnected from home offices in Canada. Be sure to make connections with someone in the Canadian home office to help keep in touch.

Advice to Management

Try to improve communication to offices outside of Canada. Remember that we operate differently here and try to recognize th differences.

Showing 1,626 of 1,747 reviews