BMO Harris Bank "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

BMO Harris Bank Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Dec 28, 2019

3.3
BMO Harris Bank CEO Dave Casper
Dave Casper
Pros
  • "Great benefits, diversity is very important, cares about employees needs(in 77 reviews)

• "good benefits, fair starting salary(in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • "The sales goals were incredibly high for the small branch that I worked at(in 53 reviews)

• "Upper management it horrible, incompetent is an understatement(in 28 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Very Good Entry Position"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at BMO Harris Bank part-time for more than a year

Pros

The company benefits, decent pay, flexibility and consideration of employee feedback

Cons

Upper management is a bit meh

Advice to Management

Try to stay consistent year to year

BMO Harris Bank2019-12-28

"Dead End Roles for Undervalued Talent"

Current Employee - Billing Specialist in Brookfield, WI

I have been working at BMO Harris Bank full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The benefits are decent/OK but very limited. They only have maybe two high deductible plans and no option for PPO. Their out-of-nextwork maximums are decent in comparison to other companies (I think $8k for employee + spouse, whereas other companies might be $10-20k), but nobody wants to pay out-of-network so that's not likely something to really consider. There is an employee discount program called "BMO Marketplace" where you can find pretty good deals on various things through different retailers as a perk of being an employee. I bought a laptop for a really reasonable price that I couldn't beat elsewhere. It also offers things like discounted hotel rates, but it's a limited offering of hotels and locations, and definitely not budget hotels but more like executive business stays so it's a little pricier. Sometimes you can find deals for national touring musical productions that might be coming through one of the major cities. Things like that. The larger business unit I have worked in will hold usually a quarterly event which includes a nice lunch and some activity. For the holidays, the combined multiple departments hold a luncheon in the larger cafeteria, order catering, and we usually do a gift raffle, sometimes a "Secret Santa," and they also fundraise for local charities. The company also has an annual UPAF drive (United Performing Arts Fund) which they might bring in some speakers and entertainment from local performance companies/communities to help motivate and encourage people to donate. Our business unit has also hosted a little "carnival" with some games including a dunk tank where you can donate a couple bucks to see if you can dunk a manager. There's also a United Way giving campaign which they usually try to entice you with snacks/refreshments and an hour long presentation. And there's an annual company zoo outing which is now about $15/person but it includes parking and a tailgate kind of meal (cheap burger or hotdog, side, and soda). So there are some nice social aspects. I've also had very little issue or push-back from requesting time-off. I've been able to participate in activities outside of work and keep my job in the office without taking it home.

Cons

As a bank, they're very focused on revenue and invest more in departments that can quantify sales and income. For those of us working in roles that are not sales, it's often hard to prove how much we benefit the overall company. The work we do in my particular department is vital in capturing revenue from treasury management services and sales, so while we don't work on the front lines making the sales and contracts, we're at the other end making sure we can collect the money from the sales. And, because upper management isn't entirely sure or familiar with the entire scope of our function, they don't see the need in providing us a lot of support. They're resistant to hiring replacements, as they are under the impression we can streamline processes and eliminate the need for those roles. As more of our senior team members retire, the work load will end up on the shoulders of those left behind. They're also very slow to invest in updated technology and tools to help us get our jobs done. We're still operating on Windows 7 and my computer is 7 years old. Updates roll out very infrequently. We've been promised new PCs and laptops for about 3 years now, still waiting. Considering how quickly technology is updated and evolving, it's hard to work efficiently when your PC runs slow as molasses. The company merge between M&I and Harris into BMO was very rocky, and still to this day we continue to have outdated processes. Many departments are still trying to function the way we did prior to the merge, and this has presented a problem with process improvement. It's a problem between not having the tech and access to software tools that would facilitate change, as well as redistribution of job duties and reorganizing team structure. Many departments, like mine, are still reliant on paper and haven't been able to transition to paperless. Many departments, like mine, do not have ticketing systems/software for processing requests, so it's harder to trace requests. Because many departments, like mine, have not been given access or authorization to the ticketing systems that are out there and available to other departments. The overall bank is hesitant to issue licensing of software to more business units because of the cost. So, when they cut corners, the rest of us are stuck trying to make due with what we have. They expect us to work on process improvement and function with fewer employees but they won't invest in providing us the tools because of things like licensing costs. I've applied at several positions within the company, and expressed interest in two other positions within my department, and haven't had any movement or change. My managers really appreciate the quality work I do where I currently am, so they're afraid of losing me from that role. Hence, why I can't move around. I'm stuck because they won't invest in cultivating more skills in their other employees. Also during the trifecta merge of M&I-BMO-Harris in 2011-2012, legacy employees were afraid of being culled in layoffs, so everything was hush-hush to hide weaknesses. Now we've got some employees who have no interest in learning anything new and just want to skate by until retirement, so they haven't developed new skills or taken on new tasks, while the young eager ones are picking up the slack and speeding into burnout.

Advice to Management

Already gave them an earful at my exit interview.

BMO Harris Bank2019-11-21
  3. "Staffing"

Former Employee - Customer Services Representative

I worked at BMO Harris Bank full-time

Pros

The people that I worked with at a branch level were great.

Cons

Upper management was terrible, and we never had enough staff to make the branch function normally.

BMO Harris Bank2019-08-08
  4. "Retail relationship banker..not worth it"

Former Employee - Retail Relationship Banker in Chicago, IL

I worked at BMO Harris Bank full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

If you have a good manager and team your life will be a little better.

Cons

Upper management it horrible, incompetent is an understatement . They don't care about you if you're performing and life will be hell if you're not performing. Annual raises..hahaha no one knows what that is. Good luck trying to get one. Whatever your starting salary is be prepared to be around that figure for a while. Technology on the customer side is ok, on the employee side can feel like you're in the stone age at times. Incentive SUCKS!!! Good luck with trying to reach your goal and once you do you won't believe how pathetic the amount is.

Advice to Management

Leave, give someone else a chance to turn things around before all your talent leaves..if they haven't already

BMO Harris Bank2019-07-24
  5. "recovery"

Former Employee - Recovery Specialist

I worked at BMO Harris Bank full-time

Pros

pay, hours and location, benefits

Cons

mergers, upper management and policies

BMO Harris Bank2019-05-20

"Contact Center Banking Associate"

Current Employee - Contact Center Banking Associate in Brookfield, WI

I have been working at BMO Harris Bank full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They offer a variety of different shifts so make sure to choose the one that fits your schedule best because it is hard to change this later on as senority plays a big role in schedule changes.

Cons

There has been a lot of layover the last 2 years. Upper management is always super stressed and disorganized. You are pretty much a line worker so working here you wont have time to take a comfortable bathroom break. The manager will literally follow you to the bathroom and hound you if you are not on the phone talking with a person.

BMO Harris Bank2018-04-09

"A GREAT Opportunity for Growth"

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Palatine, IL

I worked at BMO Harris Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was happy to hold the job with BMO Harris Bank for the duration that I did and I would recommend this organization to anyone.

Cons

I exceeded expectations in many facets of the job, but I did not feel appreciated in all that I did. I would definitely recommend to the Upper Management to review "The 5 Languages of Appreciation in the Workplace" by Gary Chapman & Paul White.

Advice to Management

Please, see above.

BMO Harris Bank2018-01-12

"McDonalds of banks...."

I worked at BMO Harris Bank part-time

Pros

Give me a week and I might think of something...

Cons

If upper management isn't buddy buddy with you, no matter how hard you work, or how good you are at your job, you will NEVER advance. Nobody has a clue what they are doing, no direction from the top, ask a question of two different you will get three different answers. Very understaffed due to the fact they treat people like garbage. Alot of snitching, belittling, sabotaging and backstabbing among co-workers, especially the ones that have been there 10+ years and think they somehow own the place and the rules don't apply to them. Very little practical training. Alot of politically correct/liberal views are forced on staff for whom it might violate their beliefs (don't pressure staff to wearing pink shirts, for example).

Advice to Management

Hire more people. Give people clear direction. Make sure communication is open and clear. Demand that your employees be treated with respect by management. Don't make all your decisions in Montreal, give more autonomy to the local districts on how best to handle things.

BMO Harris Bank2018-01-29

"Going through some bad restructuring..."

Current Employee - Senior Service Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at BMO Harris Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Vacation time is one of the only real pros from the company aspect. -I have a good Branch Manager who tries to do everything in her power to keep her employees happy, within her authority. -Good co- workers -Able to work with a lot of different kinds of people daily.

Cons

Communication between back office and branches is horrible. Upper management could really care less about the branch level employees. Branches are already severely understaffed, and they're eliminating even more positions now, which in turn are causing major problems. We have branches in our market with ZERO tellers, and upper management will not allow overtime to cover the losses, so those branches are s.o.l. Turnover rate is going down the drain. Busy branches don't have enough staff. Career advancement is basically non-existent now, where as the company use to be for promoting. You basically have to know someone higher up to be promoted into a better position, and that's the ONLY way to move up. Goals are outrageously high and difficult to obtain, especially in a CRA branch. Health insurance coverage used to be good, but they are switching to high deductible plans now that will in turn make it completely unaffordable for some to continue working for the company in 2018.

Advice to Management

BMO Harris use to be a company that valued its employees. However, now that they're being "cost conscience" they seem to have lost sight of that. There are longtime employees who are deciding to leave and retire early mainly because of the lack of job security, and the health insurance changes. How about listening to your employees at the branch level. Instead of focusing so much on saving money, how about investing more into career growth and development. BMO is the largest local Chicago bank, and the largest Canadian bank, so they aren't running low on funds anytime soon.

BMO Harris Bank2017-09-07
  10. "Bad Company"

Former Employee - Service Representative in Naperville, IL

I worked at BMO Harris Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Paid government holidays. That's about all the pros are for this company.

Cons

Not very good company to work for. They do not compensate employees for hard work, no advancement opportunities available. Very unprofessional and idiotic upper management.

Advice to Management

Hire professional people that have at least a little bit of common sense. Your upper management it quite idiotic. There is no respect from your employees for upper management.

BMO Harris Bank2016-10-06