BNY Mellon Reviews | Glassdoor

Charles W. Scharf

3,593 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "No flexibility, no regard for work/life balance or employee needs" (in 75 reviews)

• "Not much room for growth or learning, not a challenging environment so it is hard to be ambitious" (in 72 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Global Securities Ops"

Current Employee - Global Securities Processing Ops in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Global Securities Processing Ops in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

M-F 8:30am - 5pm, no weekends so far.

Plenty of time to have healthy hobbies after work, study Techy certifications online to open doors for higher paying salaried positions in the tech related field or Fin-Tech related fields of work.. I HIGHLY Recommend preparing your lunch and healthy snacks for your work desk and get your things in order for work the day before so you can be early to work and feel proud each day giving your best.
    Treats me with Respect, non-biased environment, Interview was Excellent and engaging. Even set my new desk up with a new Dual Screen Monitors and new Computer.

Coworkers are pleasant, helpful, and respectful of your personal space by default.

Coworkers genuinely say hello or good morning if you say hello or good morning to them which is good communication environment to start with as opposed to not. Be detailed focused and learn as much as you can, and ask TONS of questions about the older software still being used in the Securities trading game. Its a entire market thing, not by fault of B.N.Y. Mellon by any means.

Making new programs that work for all your clients is time, personnel, and cost intensive, and only a few companies get lucky enough to buy the program they always dreamed of from a MIT student or Stanford student for a low price. \

So its definitely a challenge processing things that are DOS based ONLY because the lack of automation and lack of built in Artificial Intelligence in the Securities game.

There are of course newer programs out there but are not yet widely used, and therefor it would be an immense undertaking for ANY company to make such a switch, especially when the clients and brokers you serve are not asking for the newer programs across the board. So i feel where B.N.Y.

Mellon is coming from. So there in itself lays the challenges of Global Securities Ops jobs in the USA.

Cons

The only way to get in the door, even if you live in the same city as your work location would be, is to apply and professionally network with Temp Agencies whom are contracted with BNY Mellon to Pre-screen potential candidates throught the temp agency instead of directly through BNY Mellon HR. That can be a pro and a con at the same time. Because, if you never thought to apply to this company by means of a temp service, you would possibly wait 1 to 7 years to get hired directly. Depends of course on your background, and who you know in the field you are applying for. (comments are simply based on life experiences)

Advice to Management

Continue being awesome...
    Also thank you for the 5 Gallon Water dispensing unit on our floor, super convenient. It even dispenses HOT water for Green Teas and Instant coffee if you are into the healthy energy boosts.

2. "Best Experience"

Pros

The people around you are always available to help. There is no bad question.

Cons

Some of the upper level managment can seem hard to reach but through the different channels you cam get a message across.

BNY Mellon Response

Dec 19, 2017 – Executive Talent & Development

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate both your positive feedback and constructive comments.

A key priority for BNY Mellon is to ensure that we have a strong... More

"Good experience in the right department"

Former Employee - Accounts Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Accounts Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are really nice and the culture was pretty positive most of the time. The work was mind numbingly easy, which was good and bad. Got paid for overtime in my department, which came in handy every few weeks. You can buy additional PTO and the health/dental/vision plans are pretty decent. 401k match is good too. But they aren't really going above and beyond any other companies I've worked for. Great resume booster and people still highly regard the fact that I worked there. Most departments can work from home 1-2 days a month after you've been there for a year. Also once you've hit one year you can move around within the company fairly easy and there are lots of opportunities.

Cons

Really no perks that you won't get at any other major company nowadays. Not a whole lot of "fun" stuff either. We had a company picnic every year, which was just a free lunch pretty much. Some departments had free coffee and others didn't, which was annoying. The desks, chairs, technology, etc were really dated on most all of the floors, which made it a really depressing place to come into sometimes. Most of the work is mind numbingly easy and boring. My manager was the "good, robotic worker" who got promoted. Nice enough and very competent, but she had absolutely zero people skills, as did a lot of other employees there. A fairly old fashioned company honestly. Not very fun to work for and the pay wasn't a lot, but it was better than most jobs you'll find out there. Compensation is low, but not bad, depends on department though.

Advice to Management

Do a renovation in the Pittsburgh building! Buy us some new chairs, some new desktops. Let us work from home sooner and more often. Give us all free coffee, not just some of us!

4. "Analyst"

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time

Pros

Great place to work at

Cons

Salary is a little lower than expected

5. "Not a good place to begin your career"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Opportunity to move into portfolio management
    - Decent 401k match
    - Good people overall

Cons

-Office politics
    -Lack of growth
    -Poor Training
    -Company does little to invest in this position

Advice to Management

Invest more in your sales associates and genuinely appreciate them.

6. "BNYM"

Former Employee - Embedded Control in Everett, MA
    Former Employee - Embedded Control in Everett, MA

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work arrangement/work life, fantastic people overall

Cons

salary, career growth, slow tech improvements

Advice to Management

Manage your talent and pay accordingly. Don't always look towards low cost centers to solve op ex issues.

7. "Its Okay"

Former Employee - Performance Analyst in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Performance Analyst in Orlando, FL

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time

Pros

Great benefits (although I heard it used to be better). 401k match, Tuition reimbursement. Several diversity and inclusion groups and the idea that all is welcome.

Cons

The company itself is great on paper. In reality (in my department), its a stressful environment with a lot of turnover. Don't be surprised if you are working long hours

8. "Lead Representative"

Former Employee - Lead Representative in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Lead Representative in Wilmington, DE

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

good environment. excellent benefits. free parking.

Cons

Low salary for region. does not promote within very much. No bonus money at end of year or quarter.

9. "Client Service Admin"

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time

Pros

Great co-workers and awesome work environment.

Cons

The location in Brooklyn is a bit inconvenience.

"Risk Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent Pay and Yearly Bonus
    Decent Corporate culture
    Free Cab and Food coupons

Cons

Low Worklife balance as need to stretch at times
    Yearly hike can be better

Advice to Management

Immediate replacement or new recruitment needed when there is a job vacancy

Showing 3,593 of 3,876 reviews