BNY Mellon Reviews | Glassdoor

Charles W. Scharf

3,719 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "overtimes affect the work life balance" (in 82 reviews)

• "Not much room for growth or learning, not a challenging environment so it is hard to be ambitious" (in 73 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Global Securities Ops"

Current Employee - Global Securities Processing Ops in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Global Securities Processing Ops in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

M-F 8:30am - 5pm, no weekends so far.

Plenty of time to have healthy hobbies after work, study Techy certifications online to open doors for higher paying salaried positions in the tech related field or Fin-Tech related fields of work.. I HIGHLY Recommend preparing your lunch and healthy snacks for your work desk and get your things in order for work the day before so you can be early to work and feel proud each day giving your best.
    Treats me with Respect, non-biased environment, Interview was Excellent and engaging. Even set my new desk up with a new Dual Screen Monitors and new Computer.

Coworkers are pleasant, helpful, and respectful of your personal space by default.

Coworkers genuinely say hello or good morning if you say hello or good morning to them which is good communication environment to start with as opposed to not. Be detailed focused and learn as much as you can, and ask TONS of questions about the older software still being used in the Securities trading game. Its a entire market thing, not by fault of B.N.Y. Mellon by any means.

Making new programs that work for all your clients is time, personnel, and cost intensive, and only a few companies get lucky enough to buy the program they always dreamed of from a MIT student or Stanford student for a low price. \

So its definitely a challenge processing things that are DOS based ONLY because the lack of automation and lack of built in Artificial Intelligence in the Securities game.

There are of course newer programs out there but are not yet widely used, and therefor it would be an immense undertaking for ANY company to make such a switch, especially when the clients and brokers you serve are not asking for the newer programs across the board. So i feel where B.N.Y.

Mellon is coming from. So there in itself lays the challenges of Global Securities Ops jobs in the USA.

Cons

The only way to get in the door, even if you live in the same city as your work location would be, is to apply and professionally network with Temp Agencies whom are contracted with BNY Mellon to Pre-screen potential candidates throught the temp agency instead of directly through BNY Mellon HR. That can be a pro and a con at the same time. Because, if you never thought to apply to this company by means of a temp service, you would possibly wait 1 to 7 years to get hired directly. Depends of course on your background, and who you know in the field you are applying for. (comments are simply based on life experiences)

Advice to Management

Continue being awesome...
    Also thank you for the 5 Gallon Water dispensing unit on our floor, super convenient. It even dispenses HOT water for Green Teas and Instant coffee if you are into the healthy energy boosts.

2. "Proud to work for an American institution that is fundamental to our economy."

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time

Pros

Rapidly changing under Scharf. As Largest Custodian Bank in the World -- this provides some unique project opportunities.

Cons

Bureaucracy, shifting management, silos of work efforts causing much duplication at time.

3. "Financial Analyst"

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time

Pros

work life balance, leaning, good team

Cons

high turnover, uncertainty of projects

4. "VP Program Manager"

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Co and great work life balance

Cons

New hires take higher positions that limit advancement for long time employees

Advice to Management

Good

5. "The work is hard, but the majority of people are extremely helpful and understanding."

Current Employee - Ofac Analyst AML/Kyc Compliance in Oriskany, NY
    Current Employee - Ofac Analyst AML/Kyc Compliance in Oriskany, NY

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Starting with two weeks vacation and a 401k that's matched are two good perks. If you are into overtime, there is plenty of that.

Cons

There is lots of overtime. The work is very hard and demanding. The pay is not all that great, but could be worse. Most days are fast and rushed.

6. "Senior Principal"

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time

Pros

Great business people, genuinely want to do well for their clients.

Cons

Management as always wants to have their say even when they are off base. Communication is lacking and reviews are arbitrary.

Advice to Management

Do Better for your people.

7. "Sales"

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time

Pros

the Best job ever. Love it

Cons

Cant complain just took some time getting use to it

8. "Tough environment for career advancement"

Former Employee - Specialist in Everett, MA
    Former Employee - Specialist in Everett, MA

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work from home, casual work atmosphere

Cons

No opportunity for advancing career

Advice to Management

It would have been nice if loyal employees were rewarded for their service

"Charlie ruined my best job"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people. Most everyone I work with us a joy to spend the day with.

Cons

The pay isn't great, but honestly this company isn't in the same business as a Morgan or a Goldman so I wouldn't expect them to pay the same, and the work life balance is better in general.

Advice to Management

After consistent praise, the most contentment I've ever had at any job in my life, and glowing reviews for my entire time with the company, we get a new CEO whose asinine idea for shaking things up and improving performance is to tell management to downgrade their peoples' midyear performance ratings by not giving 'exceeds expectations' out and mandating a 'below expectations' to 10% of their directs.
    In no way does this incentivize me to do anything other than brush up my resume and ruin the last several years of good feelings I had about this company. And for what? To prepare for end of year lower ratings to save money on raises? You caused me an enormous amount of stress and depression for about a week. I've never been below expectations at any job I've ever had. Quite the opposite.

10. "Good place"

Pros

Like it like it like it

Cons

Dont hate it at all

Advice to Management

Pay more

Showing 3,719 of 4,008 reviews