BNY Mellon Reviews | Glassdoor

1,830 Employee Reviews

1. "Project Contributor"

Current Employee - Project Contributor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Project Contributor in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

BNY is a company you have to earn trust to make a truly enjoyable place to work. I have been with the company for 8 years and this last year has been the first time I've ever truly been happy. The other 7; I was stuck in the grind thinking that was all I was worth. The job market was so hard and I was finishing my masters that I just got into the rhythm of dealing with a chaotic and unhealthy work place.

My job now is much better as I was hired because of what I was bringing to the table. My manager and their manager both wanted to see what impact I could have to a large scale project; I was hired to do a single job within this project but allowed to work with implementing changes to make the project flow more efficiently. I finally feel good about my job but its because I was finally hired to do something more than fill a chair.

Cons

Long story short: getting justified merit increases/bonuses/promotions/raises is not possible within realistic time frames for true out-performers.

Far too often you become a paper pusher just doing your job to get through each day. You post out to new jobs to get a 10% raise on a yearly basis; the company has trouble keeping it's best employees because the promotions and raises are impossible for managers to get for their employees even when they deserve it.

I say the latter statement as its a reality that most managers will admit to. The people who decide who gets promoted don't actually manage you; it all comes down to how much your manager is willing to go to bat for you and in all honestly, that sometimes doesn't matter.

Advice to Management

Find a real way to keep your best employees.

2. "It's a great place to work"

Current Employee - Private Wealth Management in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Private Wealth Management in Boston, MA

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Collaborative work environment, supportive management, smart and committed co-workers, flexible work arrangements, decent work life balance...

When you join a new firm, you hope the opportunity will be as good as the recruiter told you it would be. My experience at BNY Mellon has been better.

Cons

Long commute, 2 weeks of vacation

"Friendly and competitive work environment. Very much a "boys club". No girls allowed!"

Current Employee - Senior Compensation Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Compensation Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very competitive and keeps you on your toes. The people are friendly and management usually looks out for their employees. They pay well and the offices are clean and modern.

Cons

As a female, good luck getting ahead! This is very much a "boys club" type of bank. Men will get promoted faster and women in leadership/management positions will be seen as "too expensive" or "not good enough" and let go. Even female management will halt promotion efforts of other females. It's a very strange environment.

Advice to Management

You might want to change your view on women and quit letting go all your women management. It's not a good image.

5. "Poor compensation!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Good work-life balance. Ability to work remote. Decent hours, and not overly stressful.

Cons

Being an employee for over 10 years, you realize that you are taken advantage of in terms of compensation. Yearly increases of between 1% and 3% are ridiculous and do not kick in until that following July! Raises are extremely rare and you need to go through so many levels of upper management approval before even being considered for one that it is almost impossible to get!

Advice to Management

Realize your current employees worth and pay them accordingly, or else people will start jumping ship, as many in my area have already done!

6. "Team Leader"

Current Employee - Team Leader in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Team Leader in New York, NY

I have been working at BNY Mellon (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work where diversity, intergrity and a collaborative enviorment gives you a platform to showcase your skill sets and grow.

Cons

Potential candidates should be given more opportunities for IJPs

7. "Steadily Going Downhill"

Current Employee - Asset Servicing in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Asset Servicing in New York, NY

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance. Benefits are decent.

Cons

Diverse at the bottom, but not at the top. Not a meritocracy, they prefer to bring in people from the outside to fill roles their current employees can fill. Tremendous cost cutting affecting how clients are serviced. No room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Learn about the products your team is selling and servicing . It's embarrassing when senior management goes into a meeting without knowing the intricacies of their own business. Stop promoting people based on what they look like or who their mommy or daddy was.

8. "Currency Hedge Administration Middle Office"

Current Contractor - Currency Hedge Adminitation Middle Office in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Currency Hedge Adminitation Middle Office in New York, NY

I have been working at BNY Mellon as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

There a lot to learn

Cons

Management needs to give more opportunities to contractor

9. "Business Architect"

Current Contractor - Pega Business Architect in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Contractor - Pega Business Architect in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at BNY Mellon as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

everything was good and eorkable environment

Cons

didnt find any negative over here

10. "Eh...."

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of vacation days, a decent 401k match

Cons

Lots of unintended overtime, always getting handed work beyond your scope of ability, if you can do it they add more. Essentially a glorified assistant.

11. "Unique situation"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

management is visible at all times

Cons

not much room for growth due to operations conversion

Showing 1,830 of 3,092 reviews