BNY Mellon "work environment" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

BNY Mellon Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated Dec 3, 2019

3.1
BNY Mellon CEO Todd Gibbons
Todd Gibbons
Pros
Cons
  • "Senior management just like every corporation pays lip service to retaining top talent at the same time that talent is being shown the door(in 136 reviews)

• "Extra hours during tax seasons are hard on that work life balance(in 126 reviews)

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time for more than a year

Pros

The BNY Mellon office I worked in was a comfortable working environment

Cons

There really isn't anything negative I could say about my career working for BNY Mellon

BNY Mellon2019-11-21

"Great pay & benefits but toxic work environment & very poor management."

Current Employee - Vice President Cybersecurity Incident Response

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great pay and benefits overall. -College tuition benefits. -Outside training benefits. -Health care benefits appeared to be above average. -Retirement benefits were above average.

Cons

-Mid to upper management is the worst that I have been exposed to in any sector and anywhere. -Toxic work environment overall - mostly due to a lack of top-down leadership. -Unprofessional managers at the upper-mid levels. -Pidgin holing is commonplace. -Work life balance is non-existent. You are considered to be working 24/7/365. -Disjointed communications between managers and groups leading to constant... conflict and animosity. -Mandatory "bottom 10%" employee rating system - regardless of how long employee had been aboard or size of group. -Very poor CISO - somewhat technically proficient but a poor leader.

Advice to Management

A complete overhaul is in order with a focus on mid to upper cybersecurity related management, to include holding accountable and releasing management that is not effective or where their group has high turn-over rates. When there are issues with one or two individuals, there is an employee related problem. When there are issues with several or more employees within the same group, there is a leadership problem... - that is the case at BNYM. At BNYM, there are very few leaders and the focus is heavy on "managers". Many of those managers "rule" via fear mongering to include outright badgering, yelling, screaming and a host of other unprofessional acts, to include personal insults that could or should lead to hostile work environment complaints. I am far from a "snowflake", nor am I sensitive to this in any way. BNYM must properly address and relieve those managers that manger with those styles, IF BNYM is to retain above average employees. Average and below average employees are consistently being rated at average or above average due to their desire to please management while performing their tasks incorrectly or in a manner that has the potential to harm the reputation of BNYM. I have witnessed more than one manager continuously turn a blind eye to those that are truly incompetent for those employees that are "yes men" while penalizing experienced professionals that are expressing a professional concern, in an effort to uphold the security and reputation of BNYM. The currently utilized employee rating system in place (20/70/10) is absurd when attempting to build or rebuild entire groups, especially where groups are small in size. A group containing three members must rate one of those three as unsatisfactory even in situations where the employee has just been hired. This alone makes BNYM a toxic environment and is a direct indicator of poor leadership. Though that system may work with well established groups, it is a complete failure otherwise and why so many companies have abandoned that practice. It is impossible for an employee off a three to five member unit, where the employees have just been sought out for their talents and have been recruited, to assume that one of those three must be evaluated as unsatisfactory and therefore significantly reducing or negating bonuses and potential for Either there is a "misunderstanding" between the C-Level suite and mid/upper managers or there is an ignorance of proper leadership and implementation at the C-Level. This is evidenced by the continuation of this rating system and has forced some of the most talented individuals in the industry to leave BNYM for better opportunities. BNYM is hemorrhaging top talent and has allowed poor management to continue this situation. Mid management antics must be addressed or BNYM must accept that they will soon fall victim of their own hubris and be in a previous situation where they possessed no talent and their security program was the laughing stock of the financial sector. Throwing more money at this problem is not the solution and if stock holders knew the actual security posture of BNYM, there would be serious consequences that the CISO would not be able to continue distorting. The CISO is one of, if not THE significant stumbling blocks at BNYM due to his lack of listening skills and what appears to textbook narcissistic behavior. Though he is competent from a technical perspective within his narrowly focused experiences, he uses every circumstance to further his personal gains, putting himself first and BNYM second or third while berating those below. CIO, I would suggest a more robust fact checking system for information received from the CISO and the now current deputy director of OPS, former global manager of incident management and forensics. They are one-in-the same when reporting the "facts". This will come around to hurt BNYM and you as the CIO in the future. The tone at the top (ish) is deplorable and embarrassing overall. The CEO turnover does not instill faith and the constant changes due to that turnover creates turmoil.

BNY Mellon2019-12-03

"Not Bad"

Current Employee - Senior Representative - Middle Office in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

WFH capabilities, good work environment, nice benefits

Cons

Between job displacements of team members/ offshoring work and high turnover onshore and offshore the workload is crazy.

Advice to Management

Communicate more often and regularly with staff. Hire QUALIFIED candidates.

BNY Mellon2019-09-11
  4. "Analyst"

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time

Pros

Good work culture, friendly work environment.

Cons

Bad food quality at Pune cafeteria.

BNY Mellon2019-08-23
  5. "Experienced AML Investigator"

Former Freelancer - Investigator in Oriskany, NY

I worked at BNY Mellon for more than a year

Pros

Work environment is great as are the people

Cons

Pay was not on par for jon

Advice to Management

Increase salary for ofac II investigator

BNY Mellon2019-08-07
  6. "Relaxing work environment"

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Relaxing work environment, good work- life balance.

Cons

Low salary, bad deliverable schedule depending on clients.

BNY Mellon2019-07-27
  7. "Great"

Current Employee - Data Analyst

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time

Pros

Great work environment for everyone

Cons

No cons that I could think of

BNY Mellon2019-07-25

"Was at one time a great place to work."

Former Employee - Systems Analyst Team Lead in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

We had a great team working environment. We got a lot done and our systems always worked very well.

Cons

Work environment changed. People we not replaced if they left. Team was split up.

BNY Mellon2019-07-20

"Train Wreck"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits, big company recognition

Cons

1. Toxic work environment, constant layoffs 2. 'do a lot more with less' philosophy. 3. Frequent weekend/evening work. zero career progression 4. Expect major audit/security issues in the next few years as the bank is running with a lot less employees than it should have. Everyone is overworked, rushed and frustrated - great recipe for disaster. 5. Charlie is still clueless - as he was since day one.

BNY Mellon2019-06-22

"Disappointed in senior leadership"

Current Employee - Vice President in Everett, MA

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great people, casual and friendly working environment. I used to love this company and always felt that my direct managers valued my contributions and fought for my career growth.

Cons

Bny has always paid on the low end and bonuses and promotions were downright depressing. With that came a flexible work life and job stability. The new senior leadership kept the bad and did away with the good. They tout a ‘pay for performance’ attitude by force-ranking and laying off the dead weight but they forgot to actually pay the good people. And now they are continuing to cut too deep and losing extremely... smart and talented people. Loyalty to my direct manager is the only thing that has kept me here and that is only going to last so long.

Advice to Management

Technology may be the future for BNYM but it certainly is not the present. Stop acting like the ideas you think up that are not even close to being implemented have already created a cost savings that you can realize through more layoffs. You will quickly lose your best people and clients.

BNY Mellon2019-07-27