Cover image for BOLD

BOLD

Engaged Employer

BOLD

Add a Review

BOLD Employee Reviews about "business model"

Updated Sep 21, 2021

3.9
BOLD Co-CEOs Doug Jackson and Jamie Freundlich
Doug Jackson and Jamie Freundlich
Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email

There are no reviews matching your search at this company.

Add a review It only takes a second to share your experience. Your information will always be anonymous.

What people are saying about BOLD

Join the conversation on

Single & Ready to Mingle

5d

a

Senior Associate

Been dating an accountant and I wish he liked to have more S E X cuz I need it like once or twice a day. Im lucky if I get it twice spending Friday-Sunday at his house. The struggle. Oh was that bold? Woops.

7 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "business model"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Intern, less than 1 year

Awesome Place to Work

Sep 20, 2019 - Intern - Hourly in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Amazing people to work with! -Fun environment, new office -Stocked with snacks and drinks/ coffee machine -Proves breakfast/lunch 3/5 days of the week' -New office has a gym -Flexible hours

Cons

-Revenue/business model could be better

Be the first to find this review helpful

Manager

Thank you for your review. We're happy to hear you enjoy the office here in San Francisco!At BOLD we continually strive to make our offices productive, engaging environments where we transform work lives.Again, thank you.

2. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

A lot of room for improvement

Aug 27, 2021 - Senior User Experience Designer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Warning: All the good reviews you see are because HR encourages new employees to submit a Glassdoor review in their first 90 days, before the cracks show below the surface. If you want a more realistic view of BOLD, I recommend your sort "Lowest Rated" - Pretty good work/life balance if you don't have to work with remote teams - A lot of smart and kind people - Company is profitable (but for how long?)

Cons

- CEOs are completely out of touch. - The business model is basically a dark pattern. Not ethical. Tricks customers into buying a subscription that has little value and hopes the customer doesn't notice they are being charged. - No structured career path. Difficult to get promotions. Employees end of feeling stuck and frustrated. - Lack of vision

8 people found this review helpful

Senior Director, Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to write us. We appreciate what you have to say regarding your experience and we will share this with our team. We want to leverage what we do well like, hiring great people, and cultivating an environment where people can do great things. So thanks for your time with us and for the feedback.

3. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

scam artists all around

Sep 21, 2021 - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Not much of anything. Pay was decent.

Cons

Very unethical business model. It is surprising that they have not been caught for shady business practices. The business would get into ethical dilemmas if their business strategy was found out. Managers have no experience or business managing and come from mediocre schools- which is shown through their lack of intellectual depth and curiosity.

12 people found this review helpful

Senior Director, Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We are sorry your experience was not as good as you would have liked. We take this feedback seriously and will look at areas we can improve upon.

4. 2.0
    Former Employee

Unethical business model

Jun 9, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

What many of the reviewers have said is true: Bold does employ very nice people, offers generous salary and bonuses, and provides a great work/life balance.

Cons

Bold's business model relies on its users not checking their credit card bill for the monthly subscription fee. These users typically are unemployed people who work in lower-paying professions and can scarcely afford it. The way these users are converted to subscribers is sort of a bait-and-switch that should be illegal but isn't. This is what pays for the salary, bonuses, and work/life balance.

14 people found this review helpful

Senior Director, Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your feedback as we do share it with our leaders. Our subscription model is similar to a lot of subscription services and we are always looking at opportunities to provide enhanced services and customer experiences. We appreciate your comments and look at other ways to continue to show value to our customers and review a lot of different approaches.

5. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Old technology and dishonest business model

Jan 30, 2020 - Product in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Flexible work schedule - Some great colleagues - Potential for international travel

Cons

- Old technology that won't keep you current in SF tech - Crazy hours working with India team - Arrogant management who doesn't listen to managers - Terrible C-levels with two disconnected founders and a marketing leadership who can't get anything done well/should all be fired - Entire business model based on google allowing us to mislead unemployed people and hope they forget to check their credit card statement

24 people found this review helpful

Senior Talent Acquisition Leader

Thank you for your feedback!

6. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Poor management and in fighting

Dec 20, 2019 - Email Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The benefits and perks - Access to public transportation - Some really good people

Cons

- Middle managers who exist only to micro manage and blindly follow their VP's whims - Managers with very poor people skills and drive people away - A lack of respect for the ideas and opinions of women - Managers who make racial stereotype jokes & comments - A business model that is built on deception and people forgetting they have a subscription - After many years with the company, there have been no significant or lasting changes. The product and business model are stagnant.

8 people found this review helpful

Manager

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to read of your negative impressions of BOLD. We strive to transform work lives and that endeavor begins here at the BOLD offices. As we continue to grow and thrive, we also continue to develop and implement policies to assist our employees in their career growth. We are also extremely proud of the millions of people who have used our online products to assist them in finding the employment opportunity of their dreams. We wish you luck in your future endeavors.

7. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

BOLD is lost...avoid...

Jul 30, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Unlimited PTO Occasional trip to Puerto Rico

Cons

Turnover seems endless Upper management misaligned Career progression is non existent, and if there is any it's based on favoritism or to keep employees from leaving Sketchy business model Too many meetings not enough execution Favoritism for certain functions Constantly changing strategies

13 people found this review helpful

Manager

Thank you for your comments. As BOLD has rapidly grown in the last few years, we have continually invested in our employees. From ensuring our people have some of the most comprehensive benefits that can be found anywhere, to a great work/life balance for our staff as well as providing a pleasant environment for people to work, we want our employees to feel engaged, productive and valued. Are we perfect? Not yet. But we are continually honing our processes and policies to reflect our core value: Transforming work lives. That is our purpose as a company and a deeply held belief for our BOLD people.

8. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Nice Company, Shady Business Model

May 26, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Guaynabo, PR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Cool office space in downtown SF. Plenty of social events. International growth.

Cons

Business model seems largely based on users forgetting that they subscribed.

4 people found this review helpful

Manager

We are pleased you appreciate the time and effort BOLD puts into providing a dynamic workplace and organizing fun events for our employees and families. As you noted, we are also increasing our global presence by hiring quality people around the world. It is unfortunate we have failed to convey our true business model to you. Our true mission is to transform work lives and we spend an inordinate amount of time, money and hard work in promoting the professional success of our subscribers. We believe we create the best tools and content available on the web to assist in that transformation. We are proud of the millions of people that have been helped by our presence. Thank you for your comments.

9. 2.0
    Former Employee

Pros

- Decent Pay and benefits - They hire a lot of entry level people, so if you are trying to get started in your career this could be a good jumping off point

Cons

- Their product is dependent on Google's SEO requirements. Every time Google updates their requirements there is a major fire drill to get everything adjusted. - Shady business model. They try to get their users (who are job seekers) to sign up for a reoccurring subscription fee but they only say that it's reoccurring in the fine print. - Many of the executives are frequently ageist. They often discount the ideas and work of colleagues due to the fact that they are young or have less experience than them. - The Co-CEO's tend to say that they don't want to be involved but then before launch, they want to re-examine every product, design and copy decision which adds a lot of stress and work to be redone.

5 people found this review helpful

ExCom Member

Your candid feedback is appreciated. We firmly believe that great ideas can come from anyone and are actively working on improving our ideation and innovation pathways. We have also taken this input on late stage rework seriously. The good intentions are there and we are committed to addressing it. Thank you for your perspective.

Viewing 1 - 0 of 0 English Reviews