BP Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Avoid at all costs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at BP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is industry standard which is high for oil industry. recently seeing some better business decisions being made.

Cons

Long history of poor management despite having some great people from the Amoco era.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your human resources as an asset not just a FTE to cut with low oil prices.

"Favoritism at its finest"

Former Employee - Cashier in Hermiston, OR
    Former Employee - Cashier in Hermiston, OR

I worked at BP part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will get a pay check. Aside from that, there are no pros to being employed by Devin Oil Co.

Cons

Favoritism and backstabbing. No set schedule for those who are a "favorite". You'll pay for anything you're associated with as if you're the wrong doer.

Advice to Management

Find new management.

"Possibly the worst work environment in the entire oil and gas industry"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whiting, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whiting, IN

I worked at BP full-time

Pros

- The base salary and cost of living within the surrounding area

Cons

Working at BP Whiting requires a certain amount of incredulity - you'll perpetually slap the back of your hand to your forehead and say "I can't believe this is how it is here! How is this allowed to go on?"
    First and foremost, the company culture is extremely resistant to change. In most companies, metrics are used to measure progress towards a goal. At BP, the metrics are the goal. This was the fundamental issue at Deepwater - where employees were pressured to keep quiet about safety concerns (survivors later testified about this to Congress) so as to make the KPI (key performance indicators) look good. This tradition is alive and well at Whiting, where all attempts to improve safety, morale, and efficiency are met with managerial or HR obstruction. The "post hoc fallacy" is essentially the office slogan, as management will attribute the causes of momentary drops in hand-injuries or slips/falls on safety initiatives, when in reality its just the law of averages, and if they're down one month, they'll rise the next. At one point, the refinery was becoming so dangerous that a refinery-wide "safety suggestion" meeting was held, where employees were permitted to offer suggestions on ways to reduce hazards. Every suggestion was shot down, even those that are performed as industry norms or are common at other oil/chemical refineries. Instead, the supervisors pushed the solution of stronger metrics. No attempts are ever made to change the safety culture.
    If you have the misfortune of knowing BP Whiting's HR department, you'll understand why this is. Like most businesses, all BP locations have a "speak-up line", where you can call to report harassment, threats, health/safety/environmental concerns. The company freely admits that BP Whiting is the #1 source of speak-up calls. When I first started working there, a veteran employee pulled me aside and stated outright that if I call the speak-up line, I would be fired. There is a long history of employees calling the speak-up line to report harassment by their managers, after which the manager would work in conjunction with HR to terminate the employee. That's not conjecture or guesswork - it's verifiable. This policy ends up breeding an extremely toxic environment, where some managers have full leave to harass and scream vitriol at their subordinates, berate them loudly and aggressively in front of others, and abuse their ability to assign workload well over 40 hours per week (heck, I've seen certain managers assign 75 hours/week worth of work to individuals). Remember, at BP Whiting, HR always looks the other way when management engages in unprofessional behavior. There are department supervisors/managers who have remained in the same position for literally decades, all the while presiding over teams that suffer consistent 15-20% annual turnover to get away from them. There are departments with 10-20 people in them, where no one has been there for more than 5 years as people are more apt to walk away from the money/insurance/pension in order to achieve peace of mind and get away from harassment. How the HR employees are able to collect a paycheck and not be paralyzed by guilt or embarrassment is beyond my understanding. In any case, only two types of people can flourish in such a culture: sociopathic bullies and people who are just "going through the motions" and have given up any sense of ambition.

If you are considering working here, know this: Every year, dozens of employees walk away from very attractive pensions and salaries in favor of finding a professional environment to work at. And every other year, this includes the refinery manager. The BP corporate office will continually install some new accomplished, hardworking and efficient leader into the head role at the refinery, but after a year or so of experiencing the obstructive and morale-reducing culture perpetuated by the department "leadership" and the laissez faire attitude of HR, they too walk away from the company, deferring the pay, pension and stock benefits in favor for the two things you cannot find at BP Whiting: peace of mind and professionalism.

"PE"

Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Big BP company is a great place to work. Developments and benefits are competitive. Opportunity for growth is great. The people are great to work with and highly technical.

Cons

No cons for the big BP. However for BP L48 (spin off version of BP) is not very good. They brought the mafia from Sandridge with guys that had only a few years of experience taking on management positions that have no idea what they are doing with no technical background. Their only justify their decisions based on what the boss like. This is no difference from hiring a high schooler to run the place.

Advice to Management

Please don't run the company to the ground like you did with Sandridge.

5. "Leadership capability and training is sorely lacking"

Former Employee - Planner/Superintendent in Whiting, IN
    Former Employee - Planner/Superintendent in Whiting, IN

I worked at BP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well, paid. 9/80 for those that prefer to work that. Stable company.

Cons

Little management training. The union runs the company too much. So much is about coddling to the unreasonable demands of the unions to foster relationships. Even if it makes no sense. The union is about the union, not the people or the company they should be working for to represent.

Advice to Management

Very little true control over expenses. Visibility of subordinate spending is poor and authorization is after the fact, at best. Leadership is lacking and management has no clue how to build and motivate high-performance teams. Performance was regular motivated by threats. My management totally undermined me with my people and the union.

6. "Dirty"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at BP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Thats where it ends :)

Cons

Highly questionable ethical behavior.

Advice to Management

It is no secret that hard work is not valued as it should be. Less talk and more walk needed to implement the cultural shock that this needed to build a motivated workforce.

7. "Worst O&G Company"

Former Employee - Trading Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Trading Analyst in Houston, TX

Pros

Only pro is if you are a cut throat middle aged white male with no family, kids or pets, etc.

Cons

No gender or race equality. No work life balance. Overworked and underpaid. Lots of manipulation, tattletales, and throwing others under the bus.

Advice to Management

Have management training for new managers. Don't allow non work related complaints or petty childish tattle telling to take place

"After 8 Years of Employment, BP Houston"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at BP full-time

Pros

Pretty flexible with working hours

Cons

I had over 12 Line Managers within my 8 years with BP - Lots of turnover and re-organizing
    With each new Line Manager, I had to reprove myself which made it very difficult to move up in the company. I had 3 Line Managers that lied on my yearly Performance views stating that I missed key milestone dates on my projects but when asked what dates I missed, they couldn't name any. I reported them to HR with little to no response. If you are a woman or other minority, then you are more likely to advance in the company. During 2015, when BP was cutting over 20% of their people, I over heard HR telling someone on the phone that they could NOT let any women go. You must watch your back while working at BP because the managers will throw you under the bus. Important note: I wasn't laid off by BP. I left on my own and I'm actually found a company that respects their employees. There are much better companies than BP to work for.

Advice to Management

If your in management, then more than likely you are over your head and shouldn't be in that position. So, there isn't any point giving advice that you wouldn't understand. For example, look up the term "Leadership". It doesn't mean getting things done or going out of your way to lead a Safety Moment. It means inspiring others to exceed and helping them obtain the skills to do so.

9. "Category Lead PSCM"

Former Employee - Delivery Lead PSCM in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Delivery Lead PSCM in Anchorage, AK

I worked at BP full-time

Pros

Good pay and good benefits. Some people have opportunities but not most.

Cons

Upper and mid management are yes people. Lots of arrogance. Everyone trying to move up the ladder. Disgusting. People under them are not treated fairly.

Advice to Management

There no advice that you could read that would jolt you out of your selfish, short sidedness. You need the price of oil to go back up so you can be just as wasteful but then turn a profit due to the high price of oil.

10. "GBS - Be careful what you wish for..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warrenville, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warrenville, IL

I have been working at BP full-time

Pros

Working from home two days a week is great. People are allowed to flex their working hours. Some great people, depending on the team you are in.

Cons

1. Way too much red tape.

2. Stair monitoring is a joke.

3. Everything is measured to an absurd level, there are way too many metrics including phone calls, emails, speed, accuracy, timely, frequency and on and on.

4. Pay scales are much lower that real BP jobs. You get what you pay for.

Advice to Management

Increase the pay scales to keep the good talent. Stop the constant cost cutting and reorg exercises to satisfy upper management. Stop sending jobs offshore.

Showing 115 of 2,316 reviews