BP Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 13, 2017

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The work-life balance I espoused in the section above is sometimes thrown out of wack (in 43 reviews)

• Job security is highly sensible to oil price having constant layoffs than its competitors (in 59 reviews)

1. "HSSE Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - HSSE Administrative Assistant in Texas City, TX
    Former Employee - HSSE Administrative Assistant in Texas City, TX

I worked at BP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is a lot of work and projects to get involved in; Peers are easy to talk to and willing to help others; great benefits

Cons

Going through too many changes and re-organizations; too much work and responsibilities for one employee to handle; no room for advancement;

Advice to Management

Before making big major decisions that affect positions that you've never worked in before, ask those who have.

"Use Caution Before Accepting An Offer"

Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at BP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

BP offer excellent salary, benefits, and perks however none of that can makeup up for some of the things that need fixing at BP. Also in general BP top management is in general okay.

Cons

I worked for BP for 5.5 years until my boss decided he wants to let me go so he can bring in his own friend to take over my job despite the fact that I I took over the job of a person 2 level higher than me with much higher salary with absolutely no salary increase and a lot more workload and the workload kept adding up in the 3 years afterward with the same salary. During my time at BP I was on the receiving end of 3 cases of violation of what they call their code of conduct and although they say they investigate but they do nothing about it. I had many bosses during the 5.5 years ranging from the total manipulative one at the end to one that was a bully to one that only worried about his advancement. Issue at BP is not top management but the middle management and extreme case of corporate politics and advancement based on who you know and how well you can manipulate and bully people rather than merit. BP tends to move from one spending extreme to another spending all the time and money when time is good managing quality, performance, and cost and then cut everything when oil prices go down putting themselves in the same situation than DeepWaterHorizon.

Advice to Management

Manage your middle management don't let them waste the talent and enthusiasm of a great workforce. Manage your money better and think more long term. Be closer to the people who do the actual work and for God sake get ride of all these levels of management. Management does not get work done and does not find the oil, drill the well, and produce it regular employees do. Why does an engineer need to count 15 people to get to the CEO?

"Questionable culture"

Former Employee - Procurement in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Procurement in Naperville, IL

Pros

Great employee benefits. Company has potential to be great. Safety first is embraced. Ability to telecommute depending on manager. Certain managers are good but can be handcuffed by red tape at higher levels.

Cons

Questionable culture. Work in silos. Many seemed to be treading water until certain benefit milestones are hit or until something better comes along. Strategy and goals often don't align. Sometimes the overall point is missed because there is too much focus on details.

Advice to Management

Better culture and working as cohesive teams will only work if coming from the top down. This usually works best if you lead by example.

"Hostile work environment"

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at BP full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Medical benefits are excellent with free fitness facilities and trainers on campus. Generally flexible working environment enabling reasonable balance between personal and professional lives, particularly for women with children.

Cons

HR has created a hostile work environment by acting as BP's 'progressive police'. A once wonderful work environment now boasts the likes of speech/behavior codes, mandatory 'diversity' training (think Google), and policies requiring employees to call out any and all 'perceived' offenses by colleagues and managers. Numerous employees are routinely 'written up' by HR under the broad offense of 'disrespectful behavior'. I was once proud to work for BP and remain saddened by it deterioration into a 'witch hunt' environment.

"Better Opportunities Now"

Former Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at BP full-time

Pros

A) Excellent pay and benefits.
    B) Experience gained working with field operations was invaluable, second to none.

Cons

1) Weak mid-level management. Company standards inconsistently enforced and often bypassed in many areas.
    2) Target fixation on short-term profitability, at the expense of long-term viability.
    3) Excessive cronyism.
    4) Most of my team has found other employment.

Advice to Management

Per cons listed, work to ensure accountability at the management level, and reduce obsession on quarterly returns.

6. "Measurement Analyst"

Current Employee - Measurement Analyst in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Measurement Analyst in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at BP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They do a very good jop with Pay

Cons

they could do a better job with the Work Family balance

Advice to Management

You need to reward the work that is done

"A Diminishing Industry that is fading quickly"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at BP full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Average to good compensation and benefits

Cons

good ole boy network, constant churn, high bureaucracy, people are managed and judged by rumor and hearsay and not by tangibles.

Advice to Management

Listen to the organization, stop playing favorites, do the work in restructuring business that make sense versus loping heads to fill quotas on reducing numbers to claim savings and success. walk the talk on values, its not just for the employees but leaders as well. Look closer at your leadership and management, especially during reorganization and not just the senior employees.

8. "Worst company by far"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Homewood, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Homewood, AL

I worked at BP (More than a year)

Pros

There are none to give

Cons

Everything if I could give this rating no stars I would

Advice to Management

Get new management one is racist and the other is a sec offender

9. "Really Great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

I have been working at BP full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People are helpful and amiable
    Trying to build diversity
    Manager is very good.
    Benefits are very good and considerate of evolving world
    Many all around great respectful people

Cons

Constant changes which is good and bad
    Can be long hours

10. "Financial Manager"

Current Employee - Finance Performance Advisor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Finance Performance Advisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great working environment, fosters teamwork and learning. Ability to add value whenever possible.

Cons

Challenge to escalate to upper levels.

Advice to Management

Encourage and promote development.

Showing 2,233 of 2,513 reviews