BP Reviews | Glassdoor

BP Reviews

Updated May 26, 2017

US - All Cities

Pros
  • Good environment as work-life balance is well appreciated, a lot of positive vibes from the peers which creates good energy to work (in 316 reviews)

• They have great pay and benefits (in 59 reviews)

"Awful culture"

Current Employee - Senior Leader Safety in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Leader Safety in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

BP is like many other oil and energy firms. They pay well.

Cons

This is the worst place to work. The culture is vile. People don't work together and there's a lot of infighting. After two years of leading a large team (I was an experienced hire) I had enough and left.

Advice to Management

You need to treat external hires better and stop fighting at the top. It's what will ultimately kill the company.

"It's surreal"

Current Employee - Wellwork in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Wellwork in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at BP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

$$$, pension, matching 401k and yearly bonus... only average though compared to local market.
    Company is great when it comes to family or medical emergencies. No thanks to management, I think HR probably forces managers to behave like decent human beings on most occasions.
    Company has clearly done a lot to promote women in the workplace over the last few years.
    Quite entertaining meetings where you'll see and hear what must be some of the most incompetent, try-hard people on the planet spew a lifetime supply of buzzwords and navigate through the endless wilderness of BP corporate processes and re-organization. Much like living in an episode of 'The Office'.

Cons

Sickening to see just how much money is wasted. They may as well be lighting piles of money on fire around here.
    Even with strides made towards promoting women, nepotism and good ol' boy system is alive and well. Hiring and promoting other minorities has clearly fallen short.
    The only real reason to come to work is the pay.
    Spineless, boot-lick middle managers report to type-A bullies. Even the simplest decisions get passed up to the second line and VP positions.
    Pretty sure you need to murder someone before you get fired. Seriously. Incompetent people get passed around group to group (sometimes even promoted) for years.
    Showing up for work, doing your job and trying to protect the business is often under appreciated. If you really want to go places with this company, be prepared to cultivate personal friendships with managers.
    Company coddles new engineers, the 'challenge' program is a joke.
    Process, process, process. BP has a sick obsession with paperwork, checklists, creating do-nothing middle management positions and other non-revenue earning paper pushers.
    The company is like a wounded animal slowly bleeding out after Macondo. They don't seem to understand there is no reward unless you take risk.

Advice to Management

Give up. Sell the company before you blow something else up and kill more people.

3. "safety advisor"

Current Employee - Safety Advisor in Prudhoe Bay, AK
    Current Employee - Safety Advisor in Prudhoe Bay, AK

I have been working at BP (More than 8 years)

Pros

6 months off a year

Cons

its British petroleum, a horrible company

"BP is Going Down the Tubes.........................."

Former Employee - Senior Exploration Geologist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Exploration Geologist in Houston, TX

Pros

Global company; many divisions in many countries.
    Flexible working hours.
    Good compensation and benefits.
    Global exploration and production portfolio

Cons

Value style over substance; engineers are second class citizens; managers are completely political.
    All training has been cut.
    too few people; too much work.
    Expertise is in short supply and not valued.
    Everyone is running scared and playing cover their rear ends.
    too political................Say the wrong thing and you are out of the company

Advice to Management

Stop being so political.
    Stop being so scared.
    Focus on quality engineering and safety.

5. "Transportation"

Former Employee - Transport in Richmond, CA
    Former Employee - Transport in Richmond, CA

I worked at BP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I got hired around October and laid off around February in 4 months ! Managers & human resources were new about company goin to lay off worker but they hired me for I do t know why!!! Didn't tell me anything about it!

Cons

Ppl worked there mostly over 10 years & not so diversified!

Advice to Management

Hurt my back at work & treated very bad & can't even believe they adviced me to loose weight ! Treat me like bcause i am overweight that's why I got hurt my back! Worst experience in my life !

6. "Great place to work only if like chaos!"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Houston, TX

Pros

9/80 schedules, colleagues, overall office culture is good

Cons

Lack of communication, limited direction.

Advice to Management

Consider leading by example...

"All Around Bad, Don't Make The Same Mistake"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Texas City, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Texas City, TX

I have been working at BP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits (when business is good)

Cons

Poor benefits when business is bad (very quick to eliminate the low cost morale boosters i.e. bonuses, lunches, company sponsored events), poor morale, poor leadership, too many chiefs, too much paperwork & forms, too much emphasis on action items and not enough on the work that is actually done, everything requires hand written sign-offs which is very time consuming and outdated, no opportunity for career advancement (at current site), WAY TOO MUCH politics and game playing, each department blames other departments for their mistakes, management is comically delusional and completely disconnected from what is actually going on at the site, WAY TOO MUCH D&I to the point where under qualified personnel are hired/promoted meanwhile they let the qualified/deserving candidates go straight to their competition, no effort to develop talent, no effort to retain talent

Advice to Management

Focus on the important things (keep small things small),

"Great Values, mid-senior management is poor, no work / life balance, no career growth except for ordained few"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at BP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, most employees are dedicated / work hard and a great set of Company Values and goals. Senior management has a good plan that gets lost in the empire building / personal agenda of the middle managers.

Cons

Like many other reviews the middle management is weak and don't live by the Values. There is a back biting style and no work / life balance. Promotions / jobs based on popularity. "High Potential" employee program for select employees leads to these entitled few getting the glory while the rest of the employees actually do the work. Managers who affairs with there subordinates / harass woman / are bullies get promoted instead of fired.

Advice to Management

Clean house at middle management level and drop the "High Potential" entitlement program

"Challenging at best...."

Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits and reasonable salaries

Cons

Unethical and controlling leadership and management

Advice to Management

Treat employes right

"My experience working for BP"

Current Contractor - Anonymous in Houston, TX
    Current Contractor - Anonymous in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place that offer flexible work hours including working remotely.

Cons

This is a very unpleasant place to work for. They do not provide training. It is more like a swim or sink mentality. The department I worked did not not have established policies and procedures that you could refer to. They treat the contractors as “second class citizens” I was never introduced to the department and most co-workers completely ignored me. They do not apply one of their main values, especially the “one team” value. My direct manager worked from home most of the time including my second day of work. She was for the most part unreachable by email or phone calls. I definitely do not recommend working for this company.

Advice to Management

I suggest BP to have a mentor system for new employees that includes also contractors. I recommend training the new employees, not on the skill set they must have to perform the duties of the job, but more on the way, strategies and procedures that BP uses to conduct their business.

Showing 114 of 2,280 reviews