BPA Worldwide Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Career Builder"

Former Employee - Field Auditor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Field Auditor in New York, NY

I worked at BPA Worldwide full-time

Pros

This was my first job after I graduated from college. I learned a tremendous amount about publishing, as well as account management, on both sides of the client relationship. My time at BPA and the experience I gained, set me up for the next 10 years of my career in publishing. I was given every opportunity to interact directly with clients, and made some lasting connections. My tenure with BPA was what set me on the path to success that I've found within the publishing industry.

Cons

The crunch at the end of the May/November audit periods could sometimes involve a few late nights. Travel to the publishers' offices was sometimes

Advice to Management

The company has been stable for a while, and has moved into new technological areas. This is a testament of senior management embracing new technologies, while continuing to serve its traditional market. Continue that evolution.

Apr 7, 2016 – Manager, Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your experience. Working as a Media Auditor is an excellent way to enter the publishing or media industry!

2. "BPA Worldwide offers a great opportunity to gain experience for recent graduates."

Former Employee - Member Relations Manager in Shelton, CT
    Former Employee - Member Relations Manager in Shelton, CT

I worked at BPA Worldwide full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some room for growth/advancement, flexible schedule, benefits, nice people, opportunity to travel, client interaction, decent vacation days, summer hours, and holiday schedule.

Cons

The salaries are not the greatest. If your looking to make $60k right out of college, you should probably look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

All in all, my time at BPA Worldwide was very rewarding. As it was my first job out of college, it provided me with great work experience for my current job and surely my future endeavors as well.

After a couple promotions and 9 years at BPA, it was time for me to move on as there was not much more room to grow. This is a fairly small company after all.

To management, you need to adjust more with the times. Your staff is giving you feedback and telling you what the publishers want. Listen to what is being said and try to be as accommodating as possible.

Apr 7, 2016 – Manager, Human Resources

Thank you for your review and for pointing out some of the pros of working at BPA!

Regarding salaries, BPA strives to offer competitive salaries, but as a not-for-profit organization, we may not... More

3. "Soul Suckers"

Former Employee - Auditor in Shelton, CT
    Former Employee - Auditor in Shelton, CT

I worked at BPA Worldwide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Rich Murphy. He's a very intelligent person who gets how to manage people.

Cons

The list goes on and on, but a few come to mind. On snow days you must use a vacation day. The audit process is outdated and hardly an audit when clients know which month gets audited every single year. Management is too incompetent to get out of their own way and helpless.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like grown adults instead of children.

Apr 7, 2016 – Manager, Human Resources

Thank you for the nice comment about Rich Murphy. I think the descriptor "Soul Suckers", however, is unrealistic and unfair, particularly from someone who remained employed with BPA for more than... More

"Great Opportunity for Growth in a Challenging Industry"

Former Employee - Internal Auditing Supervisor & Member Relations Manager
    Former Employee - Internal Auditing Supervisor & Member Relations Manager

I worked at BPA Worldwide full-time

Pros

The firm is a great place to learn some discipline and work consistency. Working for BPA Worlwide provided me with many opportunities to provide great value and service to its members, and in turn, my efforts resulted in me meeting hundreds of connections within the media industry whom I would have never met had I only worked at one publishing firm. As an auditor, sometimes my audit findings were tough to share with clients, but I was always fair. I always worked with clients to provide them solutions as budgets continued to shrink for audience development management teams. BPA taught me how to achieve that fine balance between serving publishers and advertisers in a way that helped all parties. As a client, I enjoy working with many of the remaining managers at BPA. They continue to be helpful and knowledgable.

Cons

There were some downsides to working at BPA. Often long hours as an auditor. I worked there when we still travelled to see clients. In our Chicago office, we had about 25 auditors. 20 were great. 5 were average. 10 sucked. There were too many bad auditors that BPA management didn't weed out quickly enough, which caused a significant amount of the workload to get pushed to the great auditors. In turn, this caused many of the best auditors to leave in droves. In many ways, I think BPA is still playing catch-up as a result. "Boxed audits" was supposed to fix many of these issues, but clients who now send audit materials to CT, experience ongoing issues with auditors losing materials. Based on my review of comments from former staff who left 1 star, perhaps BPA has finally addressed this issue of weeding out bad auditors to improve client experiences.

Advice to Management

I would recommend that the management team continue to look at ways it can reinvent the company. Technology, new media channels, assessing what's important to advertisers and media firms. She'd the dead weight and occasional mentality of "it's always been done this way" and "one solution fits all" approach. Yes, rules and bylaws are critical to establish guidelines and consistency in the market, but they often fail to adequately address new opportunities if they remain the only focus. Continue to seek diversity in your hiring of new auditors. Hire individuals who aren't afraid of change, but more importantly, they must be solution-focused. They should be consultative and not just analytical.

Apr 7, 2016 – Manager, Human Resources

Thank you for your thoughtful review.

"Interesting and varied"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

I found this to be a challenging environment, where you get what you give. It was definitely a hard working environment, but, that also translates as opportunity. Opportunity to learn best practices that are applicable in other industries if you are so inclined to transition, opportunity to learn new skills at a rapid pace, and an opportunity to separate yourself from the less motivated. No matter where you work, you're going to have to navigate a corporate structure and learn how to prioritize. Certainly BPA was a great training ground for me, I was always stretched in a good way. You can do well here, but, doing well is always based on hard work. I enjoyed the cast of characters I met, it is a worldly company with excellent connections in the media and advertising business worldwide. Analyze the opportunity then get busy taking advantage of it. In the end I spent quality time here where I'd like to think both BPA and I were beneficiaries.

Cons

The auditing schedule can cause spikes in workload that can at times feel lopsided. It's the nature of the beast here. Proactive folks can minimize the impact. Any time you work in a corporate environment there are personality challenges, it's not always sunshine and roses. After a few job changes I can tell you the grass is not always greener, it is what it is.

Advice to Management

Keep evolving. Listen. Take that occasional leap of faith. Involve everyone as much as possible in all areas of business. Trust in your people.

Apr 7, 2016 – Manager, Human Resources

Thank you for your review. Yes, it is a challenging environment, but in a good way! Plenty of opportunity to learn and grow.

Changes have been made to the audit process to even out the cycle... More

6. "Media Auditor"

Pros

Nice Starting Pay and Benefits

Cons

Work Environment very stale, meeting quota is not enough to keep employment

7. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Team Leader/Senior Auditor in Shelton, CT
    Former Employee - Team Leader/Senior Auditor in Shelton, CT

I worked at BPA Worldwide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

BPA Worldwide is a great place to work, whether you're looking to stay in one place or find new experiences in the publishing industry. I started out as an entry-level auditor, but because of the culture at BPA, I got the chance to show senior management what I could do right from the start. Within a year, I was promoted to a management position and given special projects that made a difference company-wide. There were plenty of travel opportunities, both domestically and abroad, and my own work ethic determined my semi-annual bonuses.

Cons

Though BPA Worldwide is an international brand, the company is relatively small. As such, opportunities for advancement may be limited. However, I found that senior management likes to promote from within when possible—and they pay attention to the contributions being made by even the newest members of the team.

Advice to Management

Audits are only as good as the auditors who conduct them, so it's worth doing what it takes to keep quality people on board.

8. "Solid Company"

I worked at BPA Worldwide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They have great hours, decent pay and good benefits. It is the perfect stepping stone into the publishing industry. They do provide training to new employees and continued training for more experienced auditors. Also, when I was there, management was receptive to new ideas and making changes that would make the company more efficient.

Cons

Since it is a small company, if you are not interested in auditing, the job options are very limited. Unfortunately, I left for this exact reason.

Advice to Management

Provide a better plan for people who are interested in moving up within the company.

Feb 3, 2016 – Manager, Human Resources

Thank you for your review. BPA continuously seeks to improve efficiency and customer service, and suggestions from employees are always welcome and will be considered. Most of our employees do... More

9. "Administrative Assistant"

Pros

Great company - Glenn is an awesome individual and a great mentor for those that have the opportunity.

Cons

I worked there a long time ago and I'm not sure what the culture is now.

Jan 27, 2016 – Manager, Human Resources

Thank you for your positive feedback!

10. "Media Auditor"

Former Employee - Media Auditor in Trumbull, CT
    Former Employee - Media Auditor in Trumbull, CT

I worked at BPA Worldwide (Less than a year)

Pros

the hours fit my schedule

Cons

managers weren't clear on exception and set an environment to fail. guidance was limited, communication between teams, members and management was lacking.

Jan 26, 2016 – Manager, Human Resources

We are pleased that the position’s hours fit your schedule. BPA is proud to be able to offer part-time Media Auditor positions to college graduates seeking meaningful work with a schedule that... More