BPA Worldwide Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Glenn J Hansen

1. "BPA Worldwide offers a great opportunity to gain experience for recent graduates."

Former Employee - Member Relations Manager in Shelton, CT
    Former Employee - Member Relations Manager in Shelton, CT

I worked at BPA Worldwide full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some room for growth/advancement, flexible schedule, benefits, nice people, opportunity to travel, client interaction, decent vacation days, summer hours, and holiday schedule.

Cons

The salaries are not the greatest. If your looking to make $60k right out of college, you should probably look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

All in all, my time at BPA Worldwide was very rewarding. As it was my first job out of college, it provided me with great work experience for my current job and surely my future endeavors as well.

After a couple promotions and 9 years at BPA, it was time for me to move on as there was not much more room to grow. This is a fairly small company after all.

To management, you need to adjust more with the times. Your staff is giving you feedback and telling you what the publishers want. Listen to what is being said and try to be as accommodating as possible.

Apr 7, 2016 – Manager, Human Resources

Thank you for your review and for pointing out some of the pros of working at BPA! Regarding salaries, BPA strives to offer competitive salaries, but as a not-for-profit organization, we may not ... More

2. "Soul Suckers"

Former Employee - Auditor in Shelton, CT

I worked at BPA Worldwide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Rich Murphy. He's a very intelligent person who gets how to manage people.

Cons

The list goes on and on, but a few come to mind. On snow days you must use a vacation day. The audit process is outdated and hardly an audit when clients know which month gets audited every single year. Management is too incompetent to get out of their own way and helpless.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like grown adults instead of children.

Apr 7, 2016 – Manager, Human Resources

Thank you for the nice comment about Rich Murphy. I think the descriptor "Soul Suckers", however, is unrealistic and unfair, particularly from someone who remained employed with BPA for more than ... More

"Interesting and varied"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

I found this to be a challenging environment, where you get what you give. It was definitely a hard working environment, but, that also translates as opportunity. Opportunity to learn best practices that are applicable in other industries if you are so inclined to transition, opportunity to learn new skills at a rapid pace, and an opportunity to separate yourself from the less motivated. No matter where you work, you're going to have to navigate a corporate structure and learn how to prioritize. Certainly BPA was a great training ground for me, I was always stretched in a good way. You can do well here, but, doing well is always based on hard work. I enjoyed the cast of characters I met, it is a worldly company with excellent connections in the media and advertising business worldwide. Analyze the opportunity then get busy taking advantage of it. In the end I spent quality time here where I'd like to think both BPA and I were beneficiaries.

Cons

The auditing schedule can cause spikes in workload that can at times feel lopsided. It's the nature of the beast here. Proactive folks can minimize the impact. Any time you work in a corporate environment there are personality challenges, it's not always sunshine and roses. After a few job changes I can tell you the grass is not always greener, it is what it is.

Advice to Management

Keep evolving. Listen. Take that occasional leap of faith. Involve everyone as much as possible in all areas of business. Trust in your people.

Apr 7, 2016 – Manager, Human Resources

Thank you for your review. Yes, it is a challenging environment, but in a good way! Plenty of opportunity to learn and grow. Changes have been made to the audit process to even out the cycle ... More

5. "Career Builder"

Former Employee - Field Auditor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Field Auditor in New York, NY

I worked at BPA Worldwide full-time

Pros

This was my first job after I graduated from college. I learned a tremendous amount about publishing, as well as account management, on both sides of the client relationship. My time at BPA and the experience I gained, set me up for the next 10 years of my career in publishing. I was given every opportunity to interact directly with clients, and made some lasting connections. My tenure with BPA was what set me on the path to success that I've found within the publishing industry.

Cons

The crunch at the end of the May/November audit periods could sometimes involve a few late nights. Travel to the publishers' offices was sometimes

Advice to Management

The company has been stable for a while, and has moved into new technological areas. This is a testament of senior management embracing new technologies, while continuing to serve its traditional market. Continue that evolution.

Apr 7, 2016 – Manager, Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your experience. Working as a Media Auditor is an excellent way to enter the publishing or media industry!

6. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Team Leader/Senior Auditor in Shelton, CT
    Former Employee - Team Leader/Senior Auditor in Shelton, CT

I worked at BPA Worldwide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

BPA Worldwide is a great place to work, whether you're looking to stay in one place or find new experiences in the publishing industry. I started out as an entry-level auditor, but because of the culture at BPA, I got the chance to show senior management what I could do right from the start. Within a year, I was promoted to a management position and given special projects that made a difference company-wide. There were plenty of travel opportunities, both domestically and abroad, and my own work ethic determined my semi-annual bonuses.

Cons

Though BPA Worldwide is an international brand, the company is relatively small. As such, opportunities for advancement may be limited. However, I found that senior management likes to promote from within when possible—and they pay attention to the contributions being made by even the newest members of the team.

Advice to Management

Audits are only as good as the auditors who conduct them, so it's worth doing what it takes to keep quality people on board.

7. "Solid company for starting off and developing new skills"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Shelton, CT
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Shelton, CT

I worked at BPA Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

BPA encourages employees to be involved in industry events and continuing education programs. The company was relatively small (maybe 50-75 people) when I worked there so it had a family atmosphere with a collaborative environment.

Media auditors were held to a goal (individual and team) - one that is achievable. The team experience was solid so if one person did need help, others were there to help.

The internal audit team was very by the book and understood that integrity and accuracy needed to be maintained at all costs.

With the changing times, BPA continued to evolve their business to be a full spectrum media company focused on publisher data integrity.

I would recommend anyone starting out in their career to consider BPA. You will be challenged, educated, and gain a granular understand audience trends. Those that may be mid to senior level in their career, set roots at BPA and continue to develop the voice of the customer while maintaining integrity of the business.

On the fun side of BPA, they celebrate in many ways, birthdays, EOQ/EOY wins, and of course BPA Day (annual company picnic/celebration).

Cons

BPA is a smaller company with many employees that are new to the workforce. The gossip mill can sometimes be strong. Leadership does their part to minimize that. The opportunity to move into different roles can be limited, but achievable.

Advice to Management

I would encourage the leadership team to invest in their managers. First time managers and even seasoned ones could use some external coaching to ensure they understand the best methods for effective leadership.

Glenn, I know you don't like jeans in the office. I remember it being brought up in every lunch the team had with you. Maybe consider allowing it 1x a week, it is a minor employee benefit that may go a long way.

8. "Media Auditor"

Former Employee - Media Auditor in Trumbull, CT
    Former Employee - Media Auditor in Trumbull, CT

I worked at BPA Worldwide (Less than a year)

Pros

the hours fit my schedule

Cons

managers weren't clear on exception and set an environment to fail. guidance was limited, communication between teams, members and management was lacking.

Jan 26, 2016 – Manager, Human Resources

We are pleased that the position’s hours fit your schedule. BPA is proud to be able to offer part-time Media Auditor positions to college graduates seeking meaningful work with a schedule that ... More

"Worst job ever"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

I worked at BPA Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None, insurance was ok. I really can't say anything positive here

Cons

They are extremely top heavy,upper mgmt.is favored. 3 departments are run by the same miserable woman. Pay is awful. Your accomplishments and positive feed back from clients goes unrecognized

Advice to Management

Be nice, most of you are inconsiderate whose heads are up their butts

Jan 26, 2016 – Manager, Human Resources

We are sorry you found your work experience at BPA Worldwide to be less than optimal. There are, however, many employees here who feel differently as evidenced by their longevity with the Company ... More

10. "BPA was raised by wolves"

Former Employee - Auditor in Shelton, CT

Pros

it's very quiet
    builds character
    builds tolerance to character assassination
    makes you appreciate your last job a lot more

Cons

managers are not qualified to run their departments and no one cares
    inconsistent environment, different rules apply at random times
    impossible to advance in this company
    minor mistakes thrown in your face for years, at the same time accomplishments are ignored
    for a small company I am amazed at the lack of communication within your own department, and with other departments
    at first you wonder why everyone is so miserable but you don't want to hang around long enough to find out

Advice to Management

just because you can't see customer service, it still exists
    treat your employees well and they will work well for you
    a high turn over rate is not a good thing, hold on to your experienced staff, they are not as replaceable as you claim them to be
    you can all afford a small gift of appreciation at Christmas time. You could have a pizza party at the end of an audit cycle where your replaceable employees worked late nights and weekends.. A thank you would be better than nothing

"Good Company - Challenging Industry"

Current Employee - Manager in Shelton, CT
    Current Employee - Manager in Shelton, CT

I have been working at BPA Worldwide full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

BPA is a good company to work for and one can have a satisfying career at any level. For people early in their careers BPA offers a competitive comp, training, comradery, and opportunities for advancement. The company generally promotes from within so middle and upper management have long histories with the company. The company is structured in teams, with access to supervisors readily available, but there is a lot of individual independence. Like all work there are challenging elements and boring elements. The workload is not excessive and most employees work a 37 - 40 hour week. There are even some people who work flexible schedules, including shorter weeks, days from home, etc. Comp is fair - the company recently conducted an independent comp study to ensure comp is competitive. Some salaries were adjusted accordingly. People like working for BPA and turnover is low. While this is good - it does limit opportunity. See cons.

Cons

BPA's primary business is the measurement of magazine and newspaper audiences, and that market is shrinking. As a result, BPA has been shrinking and there are fewer opportunities in the main business line. This is a macro economic issue, not necessarily a BPA specific issue. The CEO is trying his best to develop new revenue streams, but so far these have not been able to offset the loss in the primary business. Since the core business is shrinking there are fewer opportunities to advance in this business line. However, opportunities do come around, and all employees are invited to apply for all roles. If you are not selected after several opportunities, you should probably consider moving on. The company does not force people out, but if you do not advance, you will soon be on COLA increases. There is more advancement opportunities in the new business lines and these have been filled with both internal and external candidates. Revenue has stabilized, but growth is still elusive. I guess you can say that about many businesses/companies.

Advice to Management

Communicate more. Create more realistic expectations for new business opportunities. Recognize individuals and departments for jobs well done.