BPR Properties (CA) Reviews in Palo Alto, CA | Glassdoor

Palo Alto, CA

3.4
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Former Hotel Front Desk Agent"

Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at BPR Properties (CA) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of downtime when you get to read and play on the internet. The management is also very good.

Cons

Not enough instruction about what expectations are at the Hotel and about what you should and shouldn't be doing.

Advice to Management

Give employees more instruction about what they should be doing on their job.

BPR Properties (CA) Response

Sep 8, 2017 – Senior VP Operations

Wow! Thanks for your candor. And, the timing is great as we are about to launch a thorough review of our new team member on-boarding process. While I am confused by the title of your review (as... More

2. "Evolving Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at BPR Properties (CA) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Evolving company with changes in a positive direction regarding staff, benefits and technology used to make job more efficient.

Cons

Still have some time ahead on the path that is going to be bumpy due to lack of processes and procedures.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, the path you are on is going to make the company stronger.

BPR Properties (CA) Response

Jun 13, 2016 – Senior VP Operations

Thank you for your review. I appreciate knowing you recognize some of the positive changes taking place. We are determined to fix what is broken, and introduce clear processes and procedures. Our... More

3. "Intent to make things better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at BPR Properties (CA) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I cannot dispute anything that has been written here. I regret that former employees have been left with this impression and have been made to feel this way. I’ve joined the company to do something about this. And I can attest that I have the ownership’s commitment to make things better. Going forward I will personally respond to each review. I believe in partnership with our new Executive team and our owners we will make this right. I have tremendous faith in and respect for our employees. We are in service to each and every one and we are passionate about creating a sense of belonging. We have much to accomplish and while there is much to do we are committed to making the BPR Properties’ work environment a positive one.

Cons

Our history as noted in reviews posted here makes a belief that things will be better challenging...but not impossible.

"Toxic Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at BPR Properties (CA) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great teams to work with.
    - Expanding Company.

Cons

- Being overworked for low pay, scolded when not completing said work.
    - High turnover.
    - Company takes advantage of you.
    - Below Market pay.

Advice to Management

It appears that all the forced work and toxic environment are leading to good workers leaving. If you are going to provide so much work for an individual at least match the compensation.

"High-turnover and constant state of transition"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at BPR Properties (CA) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growing company focused in the bay area. Property leaders seem nice and engaged with employees.

Cons

Lack of culture and trust of employees and management. The high turnover should reveal and encourage some big time changes to the organization. Benefits and wages are below market.

6. "Nobody Ever Stays....and there is MANY reasons why"

Former Employee - General Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at BPR Properties (CA) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are very little pro's to working with this company, there is a small company feel which at many times has many benefits.
    Owners often vibrant and positive
    Managers allowed to lead
    Input valued
    Opportunity to grow (mainly due to so many employees leaving)

However the CON's dwarf the pro's

Cons

The company turns over employees more than any company in the Bay Area. Employees leave the company, or are terminated frequently and consistently and did so every year when I was employed VP's of all departments rarely last over 1 year either from a culmination of toxic company culture, low wages and benefits, or ownerships failure to think larger than a pinch a penny diet. One half of the company works in limited service properties and is neglected, the other half work in full service properties but have expectations like the Ritz Carlton but are given no money to provide it. So major infighting and jealously exist, and the worst part is whenever a culture issue is addressed never is anything done about it. The company thinks revenue only and cares little about anything else, and this is a hospitality company.

Employees watch as management to line level staff flood out of the company every month and every year and the culture problem is never addressed. All the people who do/did promote any kind of bond have been eliminated by employees who have bad mouthed keystone employees who help build the company to where it has reached and though promising greater heights only took the company to its lowest retention levels ever and smallest revenue gains. However that is not of any concern.

Cons -
    Wages under market averages
    Average employment under 1-2 year (my fair guess)
    Culture? Toxic and non existent
    Management non responsive
    Understaffed Properties
    Stress levels and depression in most employees
    Ownership focused on revenue first, employees last
    Recognition minimally done, and unequal
    Dishonest Corporate Managers
    Discrimination present at hotels and headquarters(often overheard jokes/comments about employees in regards to sexuality, physical looks)

Advice to Management

Wake up and put your employees first, there is a reason you are always hiring people at every level, something has been broken there for a long time and the things you truly want to achieve will never be realized unless you create a real solution to your inability to keep people and dealing with people who have shuffled out all the people who made you once great. Key ideas, proper wages, proper amounts of staff, and a focus on employee satisfaction and behavior first. Until then, I would never recommend employment at this company.