BRMi Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
BRMi President Mike Battle
Mike Battle

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"A Company with Great Culture and Direction"

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

Pros

As the title states, the company and the employees from Senior Management to new associates have a great work culture. Everyone on my team is extremely friendly, highly accomplished, and hard working. The company has a lot of team building and social opportunities outside of work with little to no cost to employees. Outstanding benefits including education assistance and full medical, dental, vision coverage. Training is available in nearly every field in business, which is a big plus. As a recent college grad, I couldn't have found a better place to start a career. There are many opportunities for advancement for recent grads and experienced professionals as well.

Cons

I can only speak from my experience but it did take a considerable amount of time (7 months from interview to hire date) to start working. When you contract with the federal government, onboarding can take a long time.

Advice to Management

Outline the responsibilities of the new employee on the first day, especially if it took a long time to onboard the employee. Continue with the QAHMs, community service opportunities, and social events.

"Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Fire"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

Pros

Flexible hours, ability to work from home, benefits package was pretty good. Happy hours.

Cons

Lack of diversity training, sr. management lacks direction and communication with team, poor agile project skills, claims to be 8A and community oriented company but does not honor MLK holiday, african-americans barely hold any management or VP roles, salaries are low balled, and pray you receive your "bonus."

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees when there is a suggestion about project planning or direction & take heed of all mentioned roadblocks. Speak with your team before you promise the customer a product, and the timeline for that delivery. Weekly team meetings for status updates and anything the team may need to talk about. No favoritism, at least openly from Sr. Management, it does not lead to good team moral.

BRMi Response

Sep 2, 2016 – Human Resource Manager

As stated in our Open Door Policy, BRMi greatly values open communication at all levels within the company. We also welcome honest, constructive feedback from all current and former employees in the... More

3. "Solid Small Firm"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chevy Chase, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chevy Chase, MD

Pros

The company hires individuals that are extremely smart and capable at their specified roles. The small firm atmosphere allows employees to create their own opportunities if they have the initiative to do so, and if there is a need for it.

The family medical insurance benefits are also a huge plus.

Cons

The firm is organized in a project management type way, so employees spend a majority of their time only with coworkers on their project. This means that employees will only spend time with a handful of coworkers, even though the total firm size exceeds 100 employees. The employees that have been at the firm for multiple years tend to only socialize with each other, so it is a little difficult for new hires to establish themselves and get to know others.

Advice to Management

New initiatives from senior management need to be more organized across the board for them to be successful. Also, communication seems to be lacking unless you are in the right position or know the right person. Internal politics will take a long time to figure out.

4. "Solid small company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chevy Chase, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chevy Chase, MD

I have been working at BRMi full-time

Pros

Great people, teamwork, volunteer experiences. Lots of opportunity to learn and grow. Good benefits, especially for a small firm.

Cons

Primary business is as a Federal contractor, and is beholden to the Federal procurement process. Owner seems disconnected from the staff, though the management team is great.

5. "Principle Consultant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at BRMi full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees are smart, personable and social. Very work hard/play hard type of culture. Teams know how to work their butts off to deliver high-caliber, high-quality products for clients, and then party like rockstars afterwards.

Cons

Decreased government funding, government shutdowns and fierce competition have inhibited BRMI to grow their profits. Business development is left to fully billable employees.

Advice to Management

Break into the private sector. Solidify identity and foundation of service offerings.

6. "Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at BRMi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Truly great, people focused company. Leadership is extremely accessible and listens to their employees. Staff are all smart, successful consultants who bring something unique to the table. Great mix of work and social activities on a regular basis. All staff have the ability to learn new skills by participating in non-client facing, corporate tasks (ex: marketing, communications, IT).

Cons

I do not have any cons. I came from two very large consulting firms and have been extremely impressed with everything BRMi has to offer.

Advice to Management

Continue to find ways to get the most out of the staff. Grow the mentorship program so that new staff can learn both about BRMi and the work that we do from experienced colleagues.

7. "Excellent culture within this company!!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at BRMi (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent company culture! Always encouraged to grow and expand in any areas to learn additional/marketable skills. Small company with big goals and big heart

Cons

Employees are spread out at various different client sites but you find that with any consultancy and BRMi makes a strong effort to organize frequent company-wide events.

Advice to Management

Stay the course and continue to value your employees the way you do today.

8. "Great Place to Work and People to Work With"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at BRMi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at BRMi is like working within a family. The management has worked to maintain that closeness that comes with a start-up even though it is growing beyond that point at the moment. The people here work hard and they work together instead of against each other as I've seen in other consulting companies.

BRMi is a place where you can create opportunities and create new roles for yourself if you only have the drive to do so. Upper management does listen to your ideas and will support (with time and resources) you if you want to create something; you just have to have the initiative.

I honestly didn't know I was going to stay here for as long as I have when I got here, but the people, the ability to grow, and what they're trying to build as kept me here.

Cons

BRMi is still trying to figure out exactly what kind of a consulting company it is going to be. The culture is strong and the values are throughout, but there is some structure needed in the go-to-market strategies and consistency across projects and management styles. I think those are correctible as more standards are put into place and created, but it's a little loose right now.

Advice to Management

Continue to find ways to invest in your employees. Whether through additional training and learning opportunities or programs where they can connect and grow as the company grows.

9. "BEST company I have ever worked for."

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at BRMi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Feels like a big family, management is always there if there is an issue. I have worked for a lot of consulting firms and they all consider their employees to be just a number to fill a spot. It is great that BRMi takes extra steps to ensure we are all happy. I could go on and on but to keep it short - this is the best company to work for from my experience and it has been a pleasure to be a part of such a wonderful group.

Cons

There are no downsides pertaining to BRMi however, it is tough being a contractor and supporting the government because the contract change or something else happens to the point we cannot do our work as normal.

"BRMi - Great Developing Ground for the Inexperienced; Avoid if You are Experienced"

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at BRMi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Developed Junior Staff; Young and Vibrant Happy Hours, Events, and Team building; Good pay; Good Benefits; Good HR.

Cons

Lack of respect and focus among senior management; desire to sustain those in positions rather than to hire out when necessary to augment skills and knowledge gaps. Senior Management will hire a more senior person to support a poorly performing VP if they feel the VP will be improved -- but there's no reciprocal concern for the senior that was hired. They are used like a pencil and discarded.

Advice to Management

Don't hire senior staff to "teach" VPs and expect them to remain. Better to tell them upfront and then let them consult for the term needed and specifically for the deficiencies observed.