BT Reviews | Glassdoor

BT CEO Gavin Patterson
Gavin Patterson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Poor Management and failure to pay benefits."

Former Employee - P&P Engineer in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - P&P Engineer in Kansas City, KS

I worked at BT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary and benefits were competitive.

Cons

Unless you work in sales you are treated as the bottom of the barrel. Management makes excuses for not being available to support employees.
    Failure to pay vacation and HR fails to respond when vacation days are removed from employees profile.

Advice to Management

You will continue to loose your best employees which is a shame. Every company meeting recognizes those in sales however if you are in a support job you don't exist. The failure of HR and managers to make sure employees are paid for and obtain the benefits they are promised is unacceptable.

"Global Account Director"

Current Employee - Global Account Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Global Account Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at BT full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hard working field people. Can do attitude within field teams.

Cons

No new technology. No resources. Unattainable sales goals with no strategy.

Advice to Management

Focus on retention, new technologies, realistic goals. Sales teams that don'r make money don't stay long. turnover will crush them.

"Great experience"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Reston, VA

I have been working at BT full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been at BT for more than 11 years, things have been going just okay. Unfortunately there has been a change in management that has caused several long-time employees to leave.

Cons

no work space boundaries, no job security.

"Good company but will dispose you at a blink of an eye."

Former Employee - Global Account Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Global Account Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at BT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Global services and products. Knowledgeable professionals. Provides training and the adequate internal tools to perform your job. Solid market reputation.

Cons

Not a diverse company in the US (if you are a latino, prepare to be a fish out of water). Line manager gave me no feedback for one year, one day out of the blue he had an one on one call painting the picture black (about my funnel, which happened to be huge just a few weeks before and dropped considerably after losing an important bid) - I told him I would come up with a plan and would present it to him on our next one on one call two weeks later. Well, two weeks later he fired me. I had no feedback about my work for one year, everything was fine, and suddenly, as a big surprise I was out. The hiring process was super professional and fast, the dismissal, the opposite - it was the most disrespectful process I've ever seen. I received one email and that was it. No information whatsover regarding my receivables, my healthcare, vacations, etc - I was sent back and forth from Peopleline to HR a million times, I had to chase information for a month. I felt like a number. Disposable. That's not the right way to treat people. They should work on a respectful way to dismiss employees with a justifiable business reason (not just a phone call and one email), and have quarterly reviews about performance, to avoid surprises like mine (I was at 130% attainment of my sales quota by the way).

"Company doesn't always embrace their workers abroad"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at BT full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When the job market is tight in the UK the company does what it needs to do to outsource and hire regular employees abroad, taking whatever steps necessary and paying a pretty handsome salary for talent based on local market rate.

Cons

When the UK job market goes south, the company looks to put UK workers back to work and makes US based employees redundant no matter what their ability level is or how much they produce. They've replaced key US workers on projects with lesser qualified UK workers and have set projects behind needing to bring those replacements up to speed.

Advice to Management

Don't just look at the UK talent pool to backfill roles when needed. Make sure you have the proper talent aligned with job need.

6. "Project Manager"

Former Contractor - Deliver Project Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Contractor - Deliver Project Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at BT as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Worldwide organization supporting very large manufacturing company. A lot of complex PM methods and procedure to learn and follow.

Cons

Processes and procedures always changing to better support the client but training was limited and difficult to get ahold of someone to help. A lot of overtime and weird hours and weekends involved. Difficult to do the job 10-12 hour days were normal and expected. Overtime had to be pre-approved. Office environment not that friendly or supportive.

Advice to Management

Better methods and procedures in place before serious client relationship develops and goes south. PM expected to be completely involved with change management thru entire changing process.

7. "Crappy company"

Former Employee - Event Management in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Event Management in Chesapeake, VA

Pros

Pay isn't bad and it's weekly

Cons

No direction, bad management, policies not enforced, favoritism etc

Advice to Management

Get it together

8. "savings instead of sanity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Braintree, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Braintree, MA

I have been working at BT full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great people...nice office...good vacation schedule

Cons

lack of leadership and project direction

Advice to Management

demonstrate that you value your employees...don't just talk about it

"BT Hates Salespeople"

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at BT full-time

Pros

BT does hire nice people. Co-workers are excellent, and very nice folks:

Cons

Quotas are unachievable; products are obsolete, pedestrian and overpriced. I would say 1 out of 4 people achieves quota. At quota BT pays specialists above market, but don't worry, you won't hit quota. You have to hit all of 4 different numbers to get accelerators. Don't worry, you won't. Even if by some miracle you hit every milestone and quota, bt can (and will) take money away because they don't want to pay you that much. Plain and simple.
    Also. Bt doesn't promote. They'll hire some stuffed shirt for you to report to. Likely a British male.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing Solely on divisional profit. Margins are high enough, and the products are overpriced according to the market. Operations is cut to the bone so they are clearly very profitable. Start hiring Ops people so they can actually deliver what was sold.

"Downhill...FAST!"

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at BT (More than 5 years)

Pros

Telecommuting, depending on line manager.

Cons

Very poor planning and methodology in terms of reporting and requirements. For the past year expectations have been severely unreasonable, multiple last-minute requests, and all urgent.

Recent offshoring immensely decreased employee morale and those teams have been unable to deliver quality work. In certain positions you are expected to be "on call", as we have to report to UK, so hours are long.

Two years in a row with none to minimal bonus payout (except for C-level). Upside is that every year around bonus time we get taken out to the parking lot go have hot dogs & burgers, so there is that.

Salaries are around 15% below market.

I have to agree with other reviews that since going to an open environment to "stimulate collaboration", everyone seems to be less enthusiastic about going in to the office. Maybe it has been this way for a while, now we just get to see it more often.

Advice to Management

Advice to management is pointless. This has been provided via internal surveys for years and nothing is taken into account. If they don't consider internal advice, why would they even read this?

Showing 330 of 2,140 reviews