BT Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 11, 2017

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Good company but will dispose you at a blink of an eye."

Former Employee - Global Account Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Global Account Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at BT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Global services and products. Knowledgeable professionals. Provides training and the adequate internal tools to perform your job. Solid market reputation.

Cons

Not a diverse company in the US (if you are a latino, prepare to be a fish out of water). Line manager gave me no feedback for one year, one day out of the blue he had an one on one call painting the picture black (about my funnel, which happened to be huge just a few weeks before and dropped considerably after losing an important bid) - I told him I would come up with a plan and would present it to him on our next one on one call two weeks later. Well, two weeks later he fired me. I had no feedback about my work for one year, everything was fine, and suddenly, as a big surprise I was out. The hiring process was super professional and fast, the dismissal, the opposite - it was the most disrespectful process I've ever seen. I received one email and that was it. No information whatsover regarding my receivables, my healthcare, vacations, etc - I was sent back and forth from Peopleline to HR a million times, I had to chase information for a month. I felt like a number. Disposable. That's not the right way to treat people. They should work on a respectful way to dismiss employees with a justifiable business reason (not just a phone call and one email), and have quarterly reviews about performance, to avoid surprises like mine (I was at 130% attainment of my sales quota by the way).

"Inept Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at BT full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Vacation package and work from home

Cons

Same directors are shuffled around at the top so no improvement happens. Obvious they are gearing up to sell Global Services

BT Response

Aug 15, 2017 – Social Media and Content Co-Ordinator

It’s a shame to hear you feel we are not making improvements. We move our Senior Management team to make sure they’re able to have a positive impact on different business areas, but we’ll make sure... More

3. "Report Writer and Technical Desk Support"

Current Employee - Report Writer & Technical Help Desk in Folsom, CA
    Current Employee - Report Writer & Technical Help Desk in Folsom, CA

I have been working at BT full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I am very happy with the flexible hours, stability of the job, stress free environment, and benefits I have received from BT Conferencing.

Cons

Although BT Conferencing has been great, it lacks room for advancement in many jobs, they have had a high turnover rate in management, and certain off site positions have slow work flow communications with the main US site on the east coast.

Advice to Management

Develop a better process to help minimize high turn over rates for managers and work on better communication/work procedure documents for off site employees.

"Global responsibility for infrastructure operations."

Former Employee - Head of Global Information Technology in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Head of Global Information Technology in Princeton, NJ

I worked at BT full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible company to work for

Cons

Organizational issues needs to be resolved

BT Response

May 9, 2017 – Social Media and Content Co-Ordinator

Thanks for your feedback, we like to pride ourselves on flexible working so we’re glad you felt that and were able to make the most of it. We’re always working to make improvements to the way we work... More

"Company doesn't always embrace their workers abroad"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at BT full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When the job market is tight in the UK the company does what it needs to do to outsource and hire regular employees abroad, taking whatever steps necessary and paying a pretty handsome salary for talent based on local market rate.

Cons

When the UK job market goes south, the company looks to put UK workers back to work and makes US based employees redundant no matter what their ability level is or how much they produce. They've replaced key US workers on projects with lesser qualified UK workers and have set projects behind needing to bring those replacements up to speed.

Advice to Management

Don't just look at the UK talent pool to backfill roles when needed. Make sure you have the proper talent aligned with job need.

"Head of FTS Sales, Global Banking and Financial Markets"

Former Employee - Head of Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Head of Sales in New York, NY

I worked at BT full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

18 years and I was treated well, until regional restructuring and matrix management took over.

Cons

Pushing for generalist role, no interest is vertical specialization.

Advice to Management

Cannot only pursue the big binary deals, not how the business will grow. Customer satisfaction and key customer relationships at Ll level in the customers organization is key. You cannot just focus on CEO meetings, not all business is conducted at the C suite.

7. "British Telecom"

Current Employee - Senior Client Services Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Client Services Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at BT full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work with major global IT telecommunications leader

Cons

Recent developments in the news regarding BT Italy and leadership accountability

"Service Delivery management is a disaster. I've never seen such disrespect towards employees from management"

Current Employee - Director, Client Management in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Director, Client Management in Houston, TX

I have been working at BT full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible working environment (remote work)
    Challenging work environment (good for out of the box thinkers)
    Good technical staff - the people that work are excellent to work with.

Cons

Zero support from upper management. You ask for help and get put down for it.
    This company is quick to sacrifice employees if it will save a contract.
    No effort to fix underlying problems but will toss resources at them.
    Favoritism- there is a tight click in place & no one but them gets support
    HR is no help

Advice to Management

Your only as strong as your weakest link- you should be strengthening your people and helping to promote them up & not be pushing them out. You impact delivery when you loose good people

9. "It's OK."

Current Employee - Delivery Project Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Delivery Project Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at BT (More than a year)

Pros

BT management is nice to work with and always takes a constructive approach to issues. Very approachable.

Cons

BT management can be slow to act.

"BT Work Experience"

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at BT full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many technology variations and customers globally beyond "big telco." Good health plan. Good time off, 4 week with seniority. Good sick leave, 401k match, stock options, work from home option. Global multinational work experience. Fair compensation. Market leader in business to business communication, outsourcing, call center, security, consulting, finance, government and military.

Cons

Technical work not always sold with designed support. Complex bureaucracy and processes. Big head count and layered management; senior managers not sufficiently aware of direct reporting team operation details and challenges. Under tight cost control.

Advice to Management

Stay in touch with direct reporting teams to enable and support the work requested from them.

Showing 2,050 of 2,135 reviews