BUCA General Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

BUCA General Manager Reviews

Updated Nov 12, 2016

Found 18 reviews

Robert Earl
  1. "Assistant General Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Honolulu, HI

I worked at BUCA for more than a year

Pros

Great Company, Great Food, Great Atmosphere.

Cons

Only one location in Hawaii

BUCA2016-11-12
  2. "Assistant General Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Shenandoah, TX

I have been working at BUCA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Delicious food every day. Great support from the CEO, HR, and DVP's. Encouraged to manage your way to get the results desired. Encouraged to use your PTO.

Cons

It can be hard to get approval for larger R&M even if it's critical. (Air conditioning) Work ALL holidays. Be prepared to do 12+ hour shifts on most. Last minute coupon offers that leave miniscule amounts of time to order/inform for proper execution. (Not all offers, but some)

Advice to Management

Return to compensating your FOH and HOH staff with family meal and trainer meals. You are in a great position as a desirable place to work for highly skilled servers/line cooks, a reduction in passive incentives could be the difference in retaining or losing them. You need to continue to attract the top tier workers for those positions. You don't want to become an Applebee's.

BUCA2016-09-16

"AGM's Perspective"

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at BUCA for more than 5 years

Pros

-Amazing co-workers. Seriously, the best part about this job is bonding with and maintaining a positive relationship with your staff. You get so much more out of them when you are respected and it translates into sales! -Food is pretty good in moderation. If it wasn't for the enormous amounts of calories, I'd love to eat it every day. -Pace is great if you like to lead by example. Being one of the top stores in the...

Cons

-Benefit to hours ratio. Our salaried paychecks are displayed as 80 hours biweekly, however we work more than 100 hours bi-weekly and our insurance is EXPENSIVE. Getting 80 hour level insurance for working 100 hour level is tough. -Longer hours will strap you for time, leaving not much wiggle room to do anything else. It's extremely difficult to take classes, other jobs, or make plans because you can be called in at...

Advice to Management

-Invest in your teams! We work unbelievably hard to make the higher ups look good. We deal with constant equipment going down, vendors not getting paid, and payroll issues. -Positive reinforcement is the BEST reinforcement.

BUCA2016-08-25
  4. "Very long work hours. Company is in the red"

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Exton, PA

I have been working at BUCA full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you like the people you work with you will love your job. There is always potential to move up in the company.

Cons

The company takes forever to pay its vendors so it's hard to get people to help us because we take longer than 3 months to pay them. Also the hours are way more then they say. You must work every holiday no expections

Advice to Management

You're very strict about making sure we work our 50 hours a week but you aren't appreciating the ones who are working 60 hours.

BUCA2016-08-22

"Great Atmosphere, great team"

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Appleton, WI

I have been working at BUCA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Unique Restaurant w/ a unique menu. Fun warm inviting staff and management. Great location by the mall.

Cons

It is the hospitality industry..work a lot of weekends, but thats when your busy, so all hands on deck as they say.

Advice to Management

Try to get lower drink prices, too expensive for the fox valley. Word of mouth marketing works the best.

BUCA2016-01-20
  6. "great concept"

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Clarksville, TN

I worked at BUCA full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

quality food great atmosphere, wonderful guests

Cons

need better communication from uppermanagement

Advice to Management

this is a great concept . point us in the right direction

BUCA2015-09-04
  7. "Restaurant Level Managment"

Current Employee - General Manager in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at BUCA

Pros

Good pay, good opportunity to become GM, if assistant

Cons

Hours are way to long for management usually 12-16 per day, 3 weeks this year no day off

BUCA2015-06-26

"So so. If you can handle the chaos."

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager

I have been working at BUCA full-time for less than a year

Pros

Upper management is positive.

Cons

Not sure what direction the company is taking. Budgets are very low and unachievable. Morale is low due to recent changes and micro management from upper managers. Bonus are difficult to hit.

Advice to Management

The systems in place are not set in each location. Standards need to be defined from above and accountability needs to happen so that all restaurants are consistent with brand.

BUCA2015-05-31

"Assistant General Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager

I have been working at BUCA full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay is good as is the management on the restaurant level. Reataurant was closer to home as opposed to my previous restaurant.

Cons

Everything else! Management is expected to adhere to impossible labor percentages, standard practice is one cook in the morning and two in the evening to make the labor goals. Your labor is also based on net sales rather than gross, when you have $500 in coupons in a day that is $500 less in your gross sales which in turn makes your labor appear to be higher than it is. If the chef wanted a prep person or a dishwasher...

Advice to Management

Allow your managers the opportunity to actually manage the restaurants, rather than micro manage their every move. Stop spending so much money on pointless and cheesy marketing schemes and actually invest some money back into your restaurants.

BUCA2015-07-01

"GM"

Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at BUCA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free food, made my own schedule. The paid me a lot but ultimately wasn't worth it

Cons

Company is tanking. No trust. Money is so obviously tight. Micro management at its highest.

Advice to Management

Just sell the locations to Carrabas or Olive Garden. No one knows who Buca is anyway.

BUCA2015-06-27