BUCA Reviews | Glassdoor

BUCA Reviews

Updated July 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • It was a great work environment and would recommend it to anyone looking for a good company (in 12 reviews)

• Good food & a little pricey so tips are usually pretty decent (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Blatant fraternization between management & upper management (in 9 reviews)

• Being promoted is easy if you want to work long hours for bad pay (in 8 reviews)

1. "Assistant General Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Honolulu, HI

I worked at BUCA (More than a year)

Pros

Great Company, Great Food, Great Atmosphere.

Cons

Only one location in Hawaii

2. "Server"

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Waldorf, MD
    Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Waldorf, MD

I worked at BUCA part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people that I worked with were great and the management seemed to really be on my side. They were friendly and helpful and really seemed to make sure that I learned a lot.

Cons

Certain tip-share policies weren't ideal. I had to share my tips with some of the other positions that didn't do as much work as me and it didn't seem fair at times.

Advice to Management

Review and adjust the tip sharing policy. The servers there work really hard and sometimes they have to split tips with people that are making more money hourly and aren't doing as much as the servers.

3. "Delivery Driver"

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

The staff is laid back and friendly. Nobody takes themself too seriously and everyone tends to get along. They aren't strict if you come to work and do your job half way decently. The pay was good too 13.5/hr.

Cons

They limit your hours to under 30 so the don't have to give you certain benefits.

4. "District management is poor"

Former Employee - Server in Greendale, WI
    Former Employee - Server in Greendale, WI

I worked at BUCA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers
    Family style menu
    Great management (until they fired all of them)
    Lots of money to be made

Cons

District Management is crappy, they set their in store staff up for failing by denying important supply orders. They are never around for the day to day operations during the busy holiday season, which is when they're really needed but would rather enjoy their Christmas and huge bonus checks. All they care about our surveys, not solving the issues causing the bad surveys.

Advice to Management

We need new district managers.

5. "Server"

Current Employee - Server/Waiter in Orland Park, IL
    Current Employee - Server/Waiter in Orland Park, IL

Pros

Good tips, great fellow coworkers

Cons

Lack of managers, running out of needed items

Advice to Management

Hire more assistant managers

6. "Assistant General Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Shenandoah, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Shenandoah, TX

I have been working at BUCA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Delicious food every day.

Great support from the CEO, HR, and DVP's.

Encouraged to manage your way to get the results desired.

Encouraged to use your PTO.

Cons

It can be hard to get approval for larger R&M even if it's critical. (Air conditioning)

Work ALL holidays. Be prepared to do 12+ hour shifts on most.

Last minute coupon offers that leave miniscule amounts of time to order/inform for proper execution. (Not all offers, but some)

Advice to Management

Return to compensating your FOH and HOH staff with family meal and trainer meals. You are in a great position as a desirable place to work for highly skilled servers/line cooks, a reduction in passive incentives could be the difference in retaining or losing them.

You need to continue to attract the top tier workers for those positions. You don't want to become an Applebee's.

7. "Catering Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Bloomington, MN

I worked at BUCA (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food, fun place, nice people

Cons

low pay, work you like a horse

Advice to Management

take care of your people

"AGM's Perspective"

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at BUCA (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Amazing co-workers. Seriously, the best part about this job is bonding with and maintaining a positive relationship with your staff. You get so much more out of them when you are respected and it translates into sales!
    -Food is pretty good in moderation. If it wasn't for the enormous amounts of calories, I'd love to eat it every day.
    -Pace is great if you like to lead by example. Being one of the top stores in the company, you need to know how to work fast, efficient, and proactive. Having the challenge of being able to make quick decisions is fantastic.
    -Development is there if you are WILLING TO LEARN. I have learned so much in my time as an AGM and I feel like I would be ready to run my own store.

Cons

-Benefit to hours ratio. Our salaried paychecks are displayed as 80 hours biweekly, however we work more than 100 hours bi-weekly and our insurance is EXPENSIVE. Getting 80 hour level insurance for working 100 hour level is tough.
    -Longer hours will strap you for time, leaving not much wiggle room to do anything else. It's extremely difficult to take classes, other jobs, or make plans because you can be called in at any moment. Which makes a 10 hour day into a 14 hour day, or a 5 day work week into a 10 day stretch.
    -Small division leads to minimum management staff, so it's difficult to get vacations approved without another store short handing themselves to help.
    -Corporate always seeming to be around, leading upper management to micro manage, lowering morale.
    -Bonus structure INCREDIBLY imbalanced between AGM's/Sous Chefs, and GM's/Executive Chefs. Talking in the THOUSANDS of dollars range, there is no motivation to achieve bonus if the reward isn't there.
    -Lower to average pay compared to other AGM positons in the market.

Advice to Management

-Invest in your teams! We work unbelievably hard to make the higher ups look good. We deal with constant equipment going down, vendors not getting paid, and payroll issues.
    -Positive reinforcement is the BEST reinforcement.

9. "Very long work hours. Company is in the red"

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Exton, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Exton, PA

I have been working at BUCA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you like the people you work with you will love your job. There is always potential to move up in the company.

Cons

The company takes forever to pay its vendors so it's hard to get people to help us because we take longer than 3 months to pay them. Also the hours are way more then they say. You must work every holiday no expections

Advice to Management

You're very strict about making sure we work our 50 hours a week but you aren't appreciating the ones who are working 60 hours.

10. "Okay place, but going downhill"

Former Employee - Server in Utica, MI
    Former Employee - Server in Utica, MI

I worked at BUCA (More than a year)

Pros

The people that work there are usually great--at least they were in my Buca.

Cons

The cons are that the place is going downhill. They're cutting out family meal, discounts, and other small things that made it a good place to work at. In our Buca, the kitchen was always crashing, nothing was spec anymore, food was constantly running out. A mess.

Advice to Management

Care more about your employees. If you care more about your employees, then the guests will have a better experience.