BUCA Reviews | Glassdoor

BUCA Reviews

Updated May 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • It was a great work environment and would recommend it to anyone looking for a good company (in 12 reviews)

• Good food & a little pricey so tips are usually pretty decent (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Blatant fraternization between management & upper management (in 9 reviews)

• Being promoted is easy if you want to work long hours for bad pay (in 8 reviews)

1. "being a server"

Former Employee - Host/Server in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Host/Server in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at BUCA (Less than a year)

Pros

Being apart of weddings and graduations and being able to show them a great experience

Cons

it could get too hectic at times

"Lead Banquet Server"

Current Employee - Lead Server in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Lead Server in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at BUCA part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- During peak seasonal times, can be a wildly exciting experience for large groups to engage in excessive eating and drinking, like a medieval feast
    - Large checks and expensive drinks lead to high check averages for serving staff
    - Opportunity for growth in responsibilities and great overall learning experience in customer service

Cons

Unfortunately, Management is overly concerned with profit margin and overheads, and not on guest experience. This creates ineffectiveness for servers and disallows them from anticipating & acting on basic guest needs to better serve their clientele. In our three-story restaurant, they have removed the floor servers' dishwashers, forced customers to ask specifically for butter, refills, extra sauces, to-go boxes & bags, locked the serving supplies in a closet with the key granted only to the head chef, and forced a manager's approval for every basic task required by a server including by not limited to splitting checks, reauthorizing or changing customers' methods of payment, and entering coupons... this creates the frustrating illusion of server "inattentiveness" that hurts the entire restaurant experience and forces customers to spend their money in other restaurants in which the workforce is actually trusted. For a restaurant chain that "loves any reason to celebrate", the serving staff - like a 12 year old planning their own birthday - is perceived as incompetent to facilitating the party.

Advice to Management

Create new and seasonally relevant dishes and drinks to attract the crowds! No one wants to come back for the same bland dishes if you don't switch up the menu atleast once a year! Ex. Spring dishes should focus on fresh salads, light pizzas and antipasti varieties, not meatball-paste cannolis and hot pepper spice pasta dishes... And a chocolate manhattan, seriously? what demographic is THAT?

"Great customers, terrible management"

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Roseville, CA

I worked at BUCA part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The customers were my favorite part of the bartending job at Buca di Beppo. The customers were always friendly and fun.

Cons

The Worst part of the job was the terrible management that was in place when I worked there. They hired unprofessional upper management and promoted people from within the restaurant to managers who never belonged being in charge.

Advice to Management

Hire more professional leaders

5. "Great work family"

Former Employee - Service Supervisor in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Service Supervisor in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at BUCA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fairly transparent business model. You take home what you make, and they give you opportunities to move up. I started in November, and was promoted twice by May. If you're smart and you work hard, your efforts will be rewarded.

Cons

Buca is open on every holiday. So you have to work at least 2 of the 3 major holidays in winter.

6. "Heavy Lifting"

Former Employee - Wait Assistant in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Wait Assistant in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at BUCA part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked for tips, and Buca typically has large parties which is great. Got a lot stronger too from the weight of large entree plates and bowls

Cons

Parties mean big messes, and Buca family style entree plates are very heavy

"Hostess"

Former Employee - Hostess in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Hostess in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at BUCA part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are not many pros. I guess the customers were nice. They say if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all ...

Cons

Worked there for about three weeks. They never provided me any formal training, and just expected me to know everything from the get go. When asked for training, they were very snobbish and rude. They pretty much forced me to quit.

Advice to Management

Please train your employees. Create a positive atmosphere for the employees instead of breading a terrible place to work.

8. "Good restaurant job"

Former Employee - Take-Out/Curbside in Mira Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Take-Out/Curbside in Mira Mesa, CA

I worked at BUCA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked here for a few years at a couple locations. The company invests a lot of time into their managers, and communication between managers was always pretty solid, making it easier to work under them. It was a great place to get restaurant experience, and many co-workers are still friends today - many considered like family.

Cons

Just like any restaurant, you need to know how to work with customers. Kitchen can get hectic, and wait times can cause angry customers.

Advice to Management

Offer incentives in pay for long-time workers.

9. "Loved it"

Former Employee - Server in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Server in Buffalo, NY

Pros

I really enjoyed working with the company. The concept, for and management were all quality. It was a great work environment and would recommend it to anyone looking for a good company.

Cons

You have to enjoy working with people and appreciate over-the-top decor!

Advice to Management

Continue to treat the staff with compassion and integrity.

"Great Atmosphere, great team"

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Appleton, WI

I have been working at BUCA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unique Restaurant w/ a unique menu. Fun warm inviting staff and management. Great location by the mall.

Cons

It is the hospitality industry..work a lot of weekends, but thats when your busy, so all hands on deck as they say.

Advice to Management

Try to get lower drink prices, too expensive for the fox valley. Word of mouth marketing works the best.

"Not the best"

Current Employee - Server/Waiter/Host/Bartender in Wheeling, IL
    Current Employee - Server/Waiter/Host/Bartender in Wheeling, IL

I have been working at BUCA part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere with my coworkers, fun atmosphere, the money is great, the food is awesome, and the discount is nice.

Cons

You can't work more than 30hrs per week, there are no benefits offered what so ever, be wary of managers stealing tips...

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees, not stealing tips would be nice.