Babcock International Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Archie Bethel
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Many of the senior management appear to be ex-civil service or ex-forces (in 17 reviews)

• Poor management that clearly had never undertaken any management training (in 5 reviews)

1. "Bad leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Johannesburg (South Africa)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Johannesburg (South Africa)

I have been working at Babcock International Group full-time

Pros

Small company in South Africa with great people

Cons

Culture is old and inflexible. Management are money driven and you just a number

Advice to Management

Move with the times and have flexible working hours

Oct 9, 2017 – Head of Social

Thank you for your review. We’re sorry you feel this way. Your role is important to us at Babcock and we highly value what you think. We’re keen to better understand your experience so we can learn... More

2. "Would not recommend!"

I worked at Babcock International Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relatively good working hours - although this seemed wholly dependant on location and department. Large company, with exposure to cross divisional relationships. Some realy nice people work here.

Cons

Some of the senior management (Directors), certainly on the Skills and Learning side of the business are unsupportive, pressurising and unpleasant to deal with, sadly. It's very much a 'face fits', bully type culture and if you dare disagree or challenge as part of your role, you may as well have written your resignation.

Limited support, lots of deadlines and decisions take a lifetime. You could put in hours and hours of work for various contracts/ bids, for this never to come off, therefore wasting time.

One of the Directors is notorious for being rude, obnoxious and demanding, never saying thank you and is therefore, incredibly awkward to work for.

Another, in a field you would expect a level of engagement and specialist knowledge, is limited when it comes to interpersonal skills and lacks credibility amongst her peers.

Lots of gossiping about other departments and people, in general.

Advice to Management

Become more people focussed. Realise that engaging with all employees, on all levels, makes a huge difference with moral, respect and productivity. Realise the reason you employ a team or an indivisual, is so that you also learn and develop and that if they provide a consultative approach, then this is only a good thing, for all concerned.

Sep 13, 2017 – Head of Social

"Old Boys Club Mentality"

I have been working at Babcock International Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work itself is fairly rewarding...

Cons

...when you're actually allowed to get on with it.

The mentality that time in the job = best at the job is so overdone here it's pitiful. Ideas get kicked to the curb because they've not been put forward by someone who's not been here for >5 years.

Advice to Management

Listen to everyone, not just the old sweats.

Sep 12, 2017 – Head of Social

4. "Promises promises"

Former Employee - Service Desk Analyst in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

Pros

Great location, other than that its really hard to go to work with a smile. Its a big company so varied areas of the company to deal with daily.

Cons

Micromanaged to the point of having to ask to take a leak.
    All sorts of promises from courses to work experience in other teams are never fully followed through fully.

Advice to Management

Actually offer something proactive for staff to gain valuable skills to take them forward

Sep 4, 2017 – Head of Social

Thanks for your feedback. We’d like to assure you that our team are listening and take all reviews very seriously. We’re sorry you’re no longer at Babcock, but we wish you every success in your... More

5. "roll the dice"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leatherhead, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leatherhead, England (UK)

I have been working at Babcock International Group full-time

Pros

the staff are dedicated to helping the customers
    there's plenty of staff keen to get on and do
    they take health & safety and equality & diversity seriously across all divsions

Cons

certain divisions pay is benchmarked externally, others isn't or pays very poorly
    certain divisions have a robust talent management and succession, others don't have either
    leadership in senior management of certain divisions is noticeably poor

Advice to Management

If you want to keep talent, you need to recognise, develop and encourage it
    If you want growth, understand your senior management also need to be excellent leaders

Aug 29, 2017 – Head of Social

Thanks for your review. Your feedback is extremely valuable to us to provide the best experience possible for our employees.

6. "Dead man's shoes"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at Babcock International Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Line Manager was fantastic.
    Good proving ground if you have the right attitude mixed with right place, right time.

Cons

Ridiculously high staff turnover.
    Progression based on time served as opposed to competency.
    Very lethargic promotion & rewards structure of good employees.
    Expense system is a joke and takes weeks to reimburse expenses of £100's.
    Very little training.
    Bad planning.
    No support for problem child projects.
    Old guard protecting their own positions (reiterated to me by several Senior former colleagues).
    Just not a happy place.
    Building, facilities and resources not up to scratch.

Advice to Management

Begin to recognise that not all engineers are created equal, there are some star players (it's inevitable) and they need to be recognised or they will continue to leave for better opportunities.

Aug 24, 2017 – Head of Social

7. "My view"

I worked at Babcock International Group full-time

Pros

Some decent people who want to do a good job

Cons

Too many career climbers who are just out for themselves

Advice to Management

Trust the staff you have and promote from within

8. "Poor Management"

I have been working at Babcock International Group full-time

Pros

Can't think of any pros that stand out

Cons

Poor management, bad working conditions, slow pace of work

"Great if you are senior management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Babcock International Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are average to good
    Lot of good people work there
    Government has an apparently inexhaustible supply of money to throw at it

Cons

Babcock Canada - This is the most two-tier structured company I've ever worked - there is one rule for the executives and senior management, and one for everyone else. This wouldn't be so frustrating, but the company has a huge surplus of 'senior managers' and 'directors' and 'vice presidents' that don't actually seem to DO anything.

This varies by department - according to the org chart, one department has 4 directors and 3 employees (Business Dev) while other departments don't seem to have any executives (mainly the various support departments who are left to fend for themselves at the table)

The 'executive' class seems to get all kinds of lovely bonuses (personal trips, huge bonuses etc), while everyone else has to cut costs constantly.

Every team is in it's own little silo while middle-managers fight to stake a bigger claim for themselves. Virtually no inter-department communication.

Advice to Management

Keep riding that gravy train! You guys have it MADE!

10. "Chaos"

Current Contractor - Assistant Project Manager in Rosyth, Scotland (UK)
    Current Contractor - Assistant Project Manager in Rosyth, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Babcock International Group as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Babcock is a short commute from Edinburgh and has a number of interesting projects

Cons

The management seems to lack basic understanding of how to succesfully run commercial projects. The fire from the hip attitude and lack of planning creates chaos.

Advice to Management

Introduce the type of processes that succesfully companies (who don't rely on MOD) use