Backcountry.com Reviews in Park City, UT | Glassdoor

Park City, UT

3.2
Jonathan Nielsen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people to work with, Awesome gear discounts, good benefits (in 56 reviews)

• Work life balance is stressed here as well (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • The few women that are in upper management are single or childless (in 16 reviews)

• Work life balance can be improved (in 7 reviews)

"Blaze your own trail"

Current Employee - Manager of Finance in Park City, UT
    Current Employee - Manager of Finance in Park City, UT

I have been working at Backcountry.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

True meritocracy with plenty of upward mobility for top performers, fantastic people to work with (level-headed, approachable, helpful, talented, down to earth, social, happy), upper management all top notch talent (former bankers, consultants, top MBAs, etc.), company is growing at a very healthy pace when the rest of outdoor retail is flat Y/Y (doing some truly disruptive things in the marketplace), interesting problems to solve with plenty of data to support proper analysis, fantastic deals on gear, dog friendly office, flexible time off and working hours, all employees encouraged to get outdoors (even during working hours as long as you get your work done)

Cons

Q4 gets busy, pay is competitive but not top of market, small target bonuses, no equity compensation for most employees because private equity owned, limited investment money for making improvements to infrastructure (e.g., database management) and other strategic initiatives, some employees more interested in getting outdoors than actually getting work done (lack of loyalty to the company)

Advice to Management

Increase bonus structure to incentivize employees to achieve growth targets, pay higher salaries up front to attract and keep top talent at all employment levels

"Lots of Potential - Keep Getting In Their Own Way"

I have been working at Backcountry.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good gear discount and opportunity to do lots of different tasks. There are some really great people that work at Backcountry that are extremely kind and intelligent.

Cons

A lot of employees are over worked and underpaid. The constant state of chaos and whiplash from the last directional change simply wears on employees. The pay and benefits are not competitive with other job markets in the US. There is also a lack of women in leadership positions. The few women that are in upper management are single or childless. Backcountry does not support a work life balance, so holding a senior position with a family where both parents work is impossible. Also a general lack of diversity that leads to group think. The worst interpersonal relationships I have ever witnessed. Professionalism in interactions is not valued.

Advice to Management

Pay your workers a nation-wide competitive rate, increase your benefits and work life balance so that you can diversify your workforce. Enforce your culture and do not allow a few bad apples to sour things for everyone.

"Great People but Needs Some Love and Care"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Park City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Park City, UT

I worked at Backcountry.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked in a few different departments/locations while at Backcountry. While working here, you'll meet a ton of people who love the outdoors. If this is also a love of yours, it's a great way to make friends. Plus you'll get an amazing discount/proforms etc. Other perks of the job include the flexible time off policy, decent benefits, snack closet, and a modern working space with ergonomic chairs.

In terms of direction, there is a growing emphasis on the gearhead program as a way to differentiate in the market. I see this a plus, because it means Backcountry will continue to become more customer focused.

Cons

The main con I feel is Backcountry has a history of trying to do great things while not investing in their employees and technology. Pay is usually around 10-20% below what you'll see listed on glassdoor for the job title. Teams are often much smaller than they need to be to get the job done or are overly outsourced to agencies and consultants. These combined with many changes in leadership the past few years has led to a ton of turnover. In turn this has created knowledge gaps in many departments. I personally feel a lot of this is due to the Backcountry leadership being at the mercy of the current share holding equity firm. It feels that many of the great leaders of old have been replaced with non outdoorsy banker types who care not for what the goat used to mean, but how they can turn the company public for the equity owning firm to cash in. I think this is part of the reason you'll rarely see BC take on any ethical stances in the manner of Patagonia or REI.

Advice to Management

First, I want to say thanks. BC gave me some grey hairs at times, but overall I enjoyed my time there. I gave you 3 stars, because I think you're batting right at least 60% of the time. Advice:

Invest in people. This means paying better than market rate, providing ongoing training (coaching, conferences), and removing leadership that sees employees as cogs in a wheel to manipulate. I witnessed a ton of talent leave the company from 2015-2016. Sure things went well for awhile, but you're running out of the equity you built getting BC ready to sell in 2015.

Invest in tech. BC used to be an engineering company at heart. At some point, new branding became more important. Consider if this is the best path forward.

"Great Company—Hotrible Executive Team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT

I worked at Backcountry.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers are awesome, great industry discounts. The best part of working here- is the job you get after you leave. Great work experience if you can handle the daily BS.

Cons

Executive team is not from the outdoor industry and have no historical reference to run the company (i.e.: Eddie Bauer and REI have both went through the same growing pains years before BC). This will be a soft-goods company for annoying d-bags with money hanging out at expensive ski resorts in no time. Racing to the bottom, and your pay will reflect that.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. You had a dedicated matket of core outdoor consumers and you had an insanely low (almost non-existent unaided awareness score)... focus on that and grow with the community that got you where you are instead of pivoting like the tech company you want to be- but aren't.

"Favoritism and low pay"

Former Employee - Finance in Park City, UT
    Former Employee - Finance in Park City, UT

I worked at Backcountry.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

at HQ you can make you own schedule as long as your work is done

Cons

Very low pay. CFO only cares about higher fiance team and not the rest of finance, i.e. accounting . Save yourself the time and go find a job that pays more. Trust me they are out there.

Advice to Management

I don't care about the free food, Pay more and show some respect to people that have been with the company for over 4 years.

"Fulfilling Job in the Outdoor Industry"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Park City, UT
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Park City, UT

I have been working at Backcountry.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love my team - everyone is extremely capable, hard-working, helpful, fun and kind
    I think it's obvious that Backcountry has had some major growing pains over the past few years, but it's my impression that leadership is genuinely trying to make steps in improve employee morale through recognition, training & development opportunities and corporate culture.
    Incredible gear discount.
    Generous vacation policy. I've never had flex time off before and take advantage of it.
    Solid benefits + 401k matching.
    The work is challenging and rewarding, in an industry that aligns closely with my personal passions.

Cons

There doesn't seem to be a ton of upward mobility - seems like promotions are hard to come by.
    Leadership is primarily male-dominated (they are working on this, but still a long way to go).
    Clarity and communication on strategy from the top down is a struggle - plans will change at the last minute with little rationale on decisions.

Advice to Management

Continue to attract and reward those who are qualified for the role and infectiously passionate about the outdoors.

"Great People and Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT

I have been working at Backcountry.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people I work with are the best part of my day - being surrounded by hard-working, capable people who are as passionate about the outdoors as I am is awesome.
    Great deals on gear!
    Working with and in an industry that is reflective of my passion for the outdoors
    Fun work environment
    Very team oriented - people are always willing to help
    Communication has gotten much better recently
    Work is challenging and there is a way to get involved in many different things if you are interested
    Not the typical bro-y ski shop, which is SO refreshing. People actually are smart and work hard, you can rely on your co-workers

Cons

Strategy tends to be reactive instead of proactive
    Tools being used are outdated and slow

Advice to Management

Keep communicating, reward good employees, get salaries inline with competitors

8. "High end retail"

Current Employee - Associate Buyer in Park City, UT
    Current Employee - Associate Buyer in Park City, UT

I have been working at Backcountry.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work is challenging and exciting. Flexible environment. This is a business. Not a back shop in a ski town, so don't expect to hang out and just be a back-shop bro. Work hard, play hard, and earn cat skiing, lift tickets or sporting event tickets, and so on. I enjoy the hard work, and representing a brand I am loyal to and believe in is rewarding and encouraging.

Cons

Work life balance can be improved.

Advice to Management

Increase opportunity to be successful at the workplace and the home.

9. "Plenty of upward mobility, coworkers who are passionate about their activities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT

I have been working at Backcountry.com full-time

Pros

If you prove that you have a good head on your shoulders and work hard, you'll be given more than enough rope to hang yourself. It requires taking a bit of initiative on your own, this isn't necessarily handed to you. They seem to have a knack of identifying talented people and throwing more and more and more at them. You will be recognized for your hard work. Gear discounts are a huge bonus, and living in Park City is amazing.

Cons

In some cases pay doesn't progress as fast as the growth in responsibility, and it matters more what salary you started at than what your current responsibilities are. The workload can challenge work life balance, but living in Park City makes it easy to find some time to get outside.

Advice to Management

Turnover makes it harder for the remaining employees to do their jobs, derails long term projects and causes knowledge gaps. Everyone would be more effective with a bit more stability, even if some of the employees lost aren't the highest performers

"Seriously Don't Be Fooled... Requesting reviews from favorite employees"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Park City, UT
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Park City, UT

I worked at Backcountry.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There used to be plenty. These days the place is a joke. Just look how many open positions they have. That should be telling. Nothing has changed.

Cons

They literally ask their favorite employees to write nice reviews to bolster their score.

Advice to Management

You can't fool anyone. You shipped the amazing company culture out the door the past few years.