Backcountry.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Jonathan Nielsen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people to work with, Awesome gear discounts, good benefits (in 54 reviews)

• Work life balance is stressed here as well (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management only cares about the bottom line (in 15 reviews)

• Relatively low pay, little raises (in 12 reviews)

1. "Blaze your own trail"

Current Employee - Manager of Finance in Park City, UT
    Current Employee - Manager of Finance in Park City, UT

I have been working at Backcountry.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

True meritocracy with plenty of upward mobility for top performers, fantastic people to work with (level-headed, approachable, helpful, talented, down to earth, social, happy), upper management all top notch talent (former bankers, consultants, top MBAs, etc.), company is growing at a very healthy pace when the rest of outdoor retail is flat Y/Y (doing some truly disruptive things in the marketplace), interesting problems to solve with plenty of data to support proper analysis, fantastic deals on gear, dog friendly office, flexible time off and working hours, all employees encouraged to get outdoors (even during working hours as long as you get your work done)

Cons

Q4 gets busy, pay is competitive but not top of market, small target bonuses, no equity compensation for most employees because private equity owned, limited investment money for making improvements to infrastructure (e.g., database management) and other strategic initiatives, some employees more interested in getting outdoors than actually getting work done (lack of loyalty to the company)

Advice to Management

Increase bonus structure to incentivize employees to achieve growth targets, pay higher salaries up front to attract and keep top talent at all employment levels

"Great People but Needs Some Love and Care"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Park City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Park City, UT

I worked at Backcountry.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked in a few different departments/locations while at Backcountry. While working here, you'll meet a ton of people who love the outdoors. If this is also a love of yours, it's a great way to make friends. Plus you'll get an amazing discount/proforms etc. Other perks of the job include the flexible time off policy, decent benefits, snack closet, and a modern working space with ergonomic chairs.

In terms of direction, there is a growing emphasis on the gearhead program as a way to differentiate in the market. I see this a plus, because it means Backcountry will continue to become more customer focused.

Cons

The main con I feel is Backcountry has a history of trying to do great things while not investing in their employees and technology. Pay is usually around 10-20% below what you'll see listed on glassdoor for the job title. Teams are often much smaller than they need to be to get the job done or are overly outsourced to agencies and consultants. These combined with many changes in leadership the past few years has led to a ton of turnover. In turn this has created knowledge gaps in many departments. I personally feel a lot of this is due to the Backcountry leadership being at the mercy of the current share holding equity firm. It feels that many of the great leaders of old have been replaced with non outdoorsy banker types who care not for what the goat used to mean, but how they can turn the company public for the equity owning firm to cash in. I think this is part of the reason you'll rarely see BC take on any ethical stances in the manner of Patagonia or REI.

Advice to Management

First, I want to say thanks. BC gave me some grey hairs at times, but overall I enjoyed my time there. I gave you 3 stars, because I think you're batting right at least 60% of the time. Advice:

Invest in people. This means paying better than market rate, providing ongoing training (coaching, conferences), and removing leadership that sees employees as cogs in a wheel to manipulate. I witnessed a ton of talent leave the company from 2015-2016. Sure things went well for awhile, but you're running out of the equity you built getting BC ready to sell in 2015.

Invest in tech. BC used to be an engineering company at heart. At some point, new branding became more important. Consider if this is the best path forward.

"Decent company to get through school with."

I have been working at Backcountry.com full-time

Pros

The discount is great here and they sell great product

Cons

They over work the employees and they don't seem like they care about the individuals of the company

4. "Great Place To Work!"

Former Employee - Gearhead in West Valley City, UT

I worked at Backcountry.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance, awesome employee discounts, dog friendly office

Cons

Cubical city, slow growth, people coming and going

5. "Senior Buyer"

I worked at Backcountry.com full-time

Pros

Focused on outdoor product and industry. Discounts on gear and access to ski passes.

Cons

Management from top down do not see or recognize potential of employees. There is also a lack of vision for what their point of difference.

6. "Outside enthusiasts"

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Orem, UT

I have been working at Backcountry.com full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Love for the outdoors and sharing it with people.

Cons

Having to come back to the real world and all of its headaches.

Advice to Management

I have been born and raised next to the mountains my whole life. There has been nothing greater then to go to the mountains and forget the real world and enjoy one of God's greatest gifts to mankind.

"Great Company—Hotrible Executive Team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT

I worked at Backcountry.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers are awesome, great industry discounts. The best part of working here- is the job you get after you leave. Great work experience if you can handle the daily BS.

Cons

Executive team is not from the outdoor industry and have no historical reference to run the company (i.e.: Eddie Bauer and REI have both went through the same growing pains years before BC). This will be a soft-goods company for annoying d-bags with money hanging out at expensive ski resorts in no time. Racing to the bottom, and your pay will reflect that.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. You had a dedicated matket of core outdoor consumers and you had an insanely low (almost non-existent unaided awareness score)... focus on that and grow with the community that got you where you are instead of pivoting like the tech company you want to be- but aren't.

8. "Flexible Schedule, Great for Part Time Job while in School"

Former Employee - Merchandise Processor in Christiansburg, VA
    Former Employee - Merchandise Processor in Christiansburg, VA

I worked at Backcountry.com part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Scheduling was incredibly flexible for a part timer. I managed to go to school full time while enjoying a little bit of income. The discounts were pretty nice too.

Cons

There is a fairly strict policy on being late or absent from work. Five occurrences and you're out. At least the occurrences reset every four months.

Advice to Management

There isn't much that management could do to improve but plenty they could do to make it drag on more. My advice would be to stay the course and listen to the employees when the surveys come around.

9. "Gearhead"

Former Employee - Gearhead in West Valley City, UT

I worked at Backcountry.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture is what makes this company who they are.

Cons

2016 they changed their pay because they were one of the lowest paid call centers (per hour) in the area. But you still can't eat gear or pay rent with gear. More bonuses or cash outs were preferred.

10. "Great place to work."

Former Employee - Product Photographer in West Valley City, UT
    Former Employee - Product Photographer in West Valley City, UT

I worked at Backcountry.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people. I loved the 8 years I worked there.

Cons

Seems a bit unstable at times. I left before a wave of layoffs.