Backcountry.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jonathan Nielsen

Pros
  • Gear discounts are a huge bonus, and living in Park City is amazing (in 48 reviews)

• Great work/life balance; people get out and play (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management only cares about the bottom line (in 15 reviews)

• Low pay, and the ability to move up seems pretty limited from what I've seen (in 9 reviews)

1. "I've been really happy here."

I have been working at Backcountry.com full-time

Pros

I've worked for a lot of corporate companies, and I really love this one. Lots of company perks, local discounts, free gear, discounts on gear, PTO or FTO depending on your title. Dogs are welcome in the office, which I really enjoy. It seems that the company has a huge incentive for promoting within, many of the now management started as a seasonal employee and have worked hard. Office morale is high for the most part and has a really relaxed feel at work.

Cons

Pay is lower than other comparable jobs.
    Turnover in certain departments is slightly high, which can make it difficult to get larger office projects done.

2. "Awesome people and work-life-balance"

I have been working at Backcountry.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gear discounts, coworkers who "get it" that you need your outside time, flexible schedule within reason, office snacks, occasional meals, dog-friendly office, employee recognition including cat skiing and cool gear prizes

Cons

Salaries are lower than competitors for the same job titles.

Advice to Management

Keep it up with recognizing your employees, be explicit about encouraging work-life balance, remain focused on using data to drive future directions of company growth, get salaries at least closer in line with competitors

3. "Plenty of upward mobility, coworkers who are passionate about their activities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT

I have been working at Backcountry.com full-time

Pros

If you prove that you have a good head on your shoulders and work hard, you'll be given more than enough rope to hang yourself. It requires taking a bit of initiative on your own, this isn't necessarily handed to you. They seem to have a knack of identifying talented people and throwing more and more and more at them. You will be recognized for your hard work. Gear discounts are a huge bonus, and living in Park City is amazing.

Cons

In some cases pay doesn't progress as fast as the growth in responsibility, and it matters more what salary you started at than what your current responsibilities are. The workload can challenge work life balance, but living in Park City makes it easy to find some time to get outside.

Advice to Management

Turnover makes it harder for the remaining employees to do their jobs, derails long term projects and causes knowledge gaps. Everyone would be more effective with a bit more stability, even if some of the employees lost aren't the highest performers

"Meh."

Current Employee - Gearhead in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Gearhead in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Backcountry.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Discounts
    Easy to get time off

Cons

Where do I start?
    You can't view your schedule unless you are at work on the computer, so you never know when you are going to work.
    Compensation for inbound gearheads sucks.
    Work is pretty boring
    Account Management team has many dishonest members

Advice to Management

GET ORGANIZED!
    Fix your scheduling systems!

6. "Fast paced environment, great energy"

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Owned Brands in Park City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Owned Brands in Park City, UT

I have been working at Backcountry.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work in the owned brands division, which has the vibe and mentality of a start up, but housed within a larger company. Our team is very tight knit, entrepreneurial, and supportive of each other. I enjoy coming to work each day and have been continually challenged to move my career forward here. I've really enjoyed working at Backcountry!

Cons

There has been turnover in a couple of departments, which seems to be stabilizing.

"A lot of lip-service in a broken culture"

I worked at Backcountry.com full-time

Pros

I worked with some good people. Park City is a nice location if you can afford it.

Cons

There's a ton of lip-service and saying the right thing about openness, communication, work-life balance, openly disagreeing - do not believe this! You can almost see the cringe on the leadership's faces when they say this stuff. The real culture is competitive, back-stabbing, negative, punitive, and condescending. It's easy to survive if you stroke leadership's ego and execute on their idea-of-the-day. But you won't thrive, you won't have an opportunity to be independent, and don't get on their bad side or you will be swiftly exited.

Advice to Management

You are not Larry Page, Jeff Bezos, or even Jerry Stritzke. Come back down to earth and run a great company by making your employees feel secure and listening to their ideas.

8. "Digital Marketing Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT

I worked at Backcountry.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

culture, flexibility, learning environment, opportunity to grow

Cons

disorganization, turnover, miscommunication, lack of planning

"Joke"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT

I worked at Backcountry.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gear discount, coffee, stocked junk food to make you fat.

Cons

Flexible time off sounds great until you’re not able to use it. You’ll be lucky to take a week off. It would be better to have PTO so you could actually take some time off without feeling guilty.

The culture here is gone. This place used to be filled with people with a passion for the outdoors, now it’s filled with a bunch of stiffs who only care about the bottom line. Execs and management try and put on a front like they do things outdoors to fit in.

Management hires and promotes people based on how well they can stroke their ego. They love yes men.

Advice to Management

Stick to a plan, don’t pivot every other week. Shiny ball syndrome going on here.

"Former employee of both Park City and West Valley locations"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Backcountry.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Company focus on internal promotions, you can work your way up if you are willing to put in the time (see cons for exactly who gets promoted...) I started in West Valley's Gearhead Operations and ended in a new position in Park City's HQ.

* A+ effort at mentorship program for newer employees.

* Very competitive industry discounts, both through Backcountry itself and external pro-deals. You will save 40-50% on your climbing, skiing, biking, etc set up.

* Occasional company lunches and dinners. Stocked kitchen in Park City location.

Cons

Ultimately, the above pluses can't save a sinking ship.

* Frequent layoffs in both the Park City HQ and Salt Lake City customer service center is leading to a bad company reputation for retention. For example, they were unable to recruit enough seasonal workers for 2016's fourth quarter due to this reputation. Enough people have either been laid off or heard bad things from friends that the pickings are slim. This alone should be a huge red flag if you're looking to work for Gearhead Operations. Second, in spring 2016, Park City laid off a TON of people and redistributed their workload to remaining employees for no extra compensation. Too many employees at both locations are nervous for their future. Too many are actively searching for new jobs that would undoubtedly be better paying/more secure.

* Training and tech infrastructure is sub par. Compared to companies of a similar age/size, I am shocked at how behind the curve Backcountry is.

* You will receive an under-market salary in "exchange" for FTO, a well-decorated open office, and outdoorsy company culture. I would rather be paid market-value for my skills.

* Gearhead Operations, aka the customer service dept, in Salt Lake is very clique-y. Your job security and promotion potential are predominantly decided by who likes you rather than by how well you perform. This is coming from someone who was reasonably well-liked by my managers but who also saw other co-workers looked over.

* Backcountry's holding company is pushing hard for more profit. Backcountry is now a store geared towards rich hipsters with a side focus on former staples like rock climbing and skiing. A previous review is correct: if you want to shift your target focus to make more money, just say so. Don't keep identifying with your original clientele when most legit adventurers couldn't afford or need half your products on the site. If you're honest with your employees and customers about what you want, you'll be more successful in the long run.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and they will take care of you. Listen to the overwhelming amount of people who have tried to tell you what is going wrong and take steps to fix it. Seriously research other companies' cultures to increase productivity and retention. You guys can yet join the ranks, but at this rate, I promise you will burn out too many people in the long run.

"Did not enjoy my time here"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Park City, UT
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Park City, UT

Pros

Gear Discount
    Health care is okay

Cons

Flex Time Off - Don't fall for this. Averaged under 2 weeks per year vacation, and frequently called back in while on vacation.
    Focus - changes all the time. You won't finish projects, issues will arise, and then you will be berated for not finishing project you were originally interrupted from.
    Management - most demotivating management team ever. Rude comments in meetings, unprofessional jokes, and backing out of promises
    Felt like the most productive people were constantly berated for not being productive enough, and the least productive people were given pats on the backs for showing up for 6 hours a day
    Layoffs - Told one week everything is fine, next week everyone is laid off. Most cut throat company I have worked for in this regard.

Advice to Management

Be more professional, polite, and follow through with promises made. Expect the same out of yourselves as you do from your employees. Reward productivity and punish lack thereof. A lot of things need to be done clearly the opposite of how they currently are.