Baden Sports Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Michael J. Shindler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Baden continued to be it's own worst enemy. A ship with a hundred directions."

I worked at Baden Sports full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the people were great to work with.
    You got to work in the sports industry.
    The company culture is slowly becoming more positive.

Cons

Pay was not competitive and raised were rarely present.
    We couldn't hire good talent to help the company grow because we couldn't "afford" them. If we got lucky and someone was a keeper, they wouldn't stay long enough to make a lasting impact because they didn't make enough money and/or the things necessary to take us to the next level were not something the CEO agreed with. He is so old school that we just recently "discovered" how great the internet can be as a sales channel.

Advice to Management

Learn how to be effective managers, not just sales people.

"Meh"

Pros

Easy work and the schedule was good

Cons

very boring and hot. not much else to say.

"Not recommended"

I worked at Baden Sports full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting product and ability to learn import and distribution as well as warehousing and sales. Those into sports will especially like the customer base.

Cons

Family owned and the family is dysfunctional and owner manages as dictator who pushes republican views and treats people badly. High turnover, male dominated and executives leave quickly because they can't tolerate the owner.

Advice to Management

Some employee teaming events might help the environment to be more friendly and less awkward. Recognize employee efforts and hire quality leaders.

"Overall, if I could have left sooner, I would have."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I worked at Baden Sports full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A few friendly employees that help you tolerate a stressful day at the office. There would be the occasional company bbq or holiday lunch which is always nice however it doesn't pay the bills or feed the kids...

Cons

My supervisor would NEVER carve out any time for me to meet with him. I would constantly send email requests or stop by his office to get in a quick 5 minutes but he seemed to always be waiting for a conference call, about to step into a meeting, out of his office, or not even in the building! I was told I would be given the opportunity to move up in the workplace and given more responsibilities. This started to happen but once I asked for a raise, they handed over promotion to another employee. I was forced to take on a part time job in addition to working full time at Baden because my pay was barely making ends meet. The two years I spent there, I only received a 36 cent pay increase. They constantly stretch all their employees thin and put off hiring extra hands until everyone is stressed out and someone blows up. When they finally added extra help to my department, I trained the new employee and we had very similar job descriptions however, they were paid a significant amount more than me. The constant beating around the bush from the my supervisor was irritating and I could see through his salesman persona which is why I believe he wouldn't meet with me towards the end. The company would occasionally host a company-wide meeting where the heads of each department would essentially brag about how great the company is doing in sales however there suspiciously never seemed to be enough money left over for employees to get more than a 2.5% raise. Meanwhile the CEO recently purchased a new Audi.

Advice to Management

Make it a requirement for upper management to make time to meet with their subordinates when they request time.
    Evaluate pay increases for each employee individually, not as a whole department.

"Interesting company but poor management"

I have been working at Baden Sports full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good health insurance for employee only, Location Is Fairly Easy To Get to, and free parking. 401k plan (no match) but there is a plan.

Cons

Poor management, low wages, doesn't follow through with promises it makes when hiring, and health insurance coverage for dependents VERY expensive. Wage increases don't match performance ratings.

Advice to Management

Follow through with promises. The hype at company meetings is not meaningful when there is no impact on the rank and file. Seems like only family or the family friends benefit.

6. "Customer Service"

I have been working at Baden Sports full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great environment with an entrepreneurial culture. Company is always looking for ways to improve its people and business. Big potential at this company.

Cons

Small company so you need to wear many hats in some cases. The company takes on a large array of products for its size so there is no shortage or heavy workloads.

Advice to Management

Continue on your path of improving people and process. Baden Sports is becoming a better place to work every day. The future is bright!

"Disfunctional leader"

I have been working at Baden Sports full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun industry with energetic young professionals. Free parking, ok benefits and easy commute. Other than that not sure what to say.

Cons

Pay is low. Family run with little interaction with others in the company. Poor, erratic decision making leads to non-sustainable business model.

Advice to Management

Work as a team with others inside Baden. Recognize the efforts of the warehouse and sales staff and the value they bring to Baden.

8. "Small company with big potential!"

Pros

Small company with huge potential growth upside. No micro managing. Fun company culture. Products are great and industry leading. People are overall great to work with.

Cons

Due to size not much potential for promotion and workload can be overwhelming at times.

Advice to Management

Continue progress with improving company culture and be sure to recognize employees for their hard work and achievements.

"Graphic Designer"

I worked at Baden Sports full-time

Pros

There are nice and friendly people at work communicate with. Going and having lunch, break time and coffee with. Also, their is pot luck parties that are fun and other get togethers that are also fun. You can get days of paid time off, so you can take vacations and go to other events. Other thing good about work were, making projects and staying busy when need to be. When you wanted your projects done on your free time you could get them done. Example= Projects like Christmas cards, posters, flyers and others. Good company to start out with at entry levels position.

Cons

At Baden Sports it is hard to move up to a higher level. Maybe start off there at entry level position would be good, but staying for a period of time could be hard, because not going anywhere. You feel like you would want and deserve to move up to higher levels because you put in your time and effort into it. When you are
    working two times as hard as other workers, a lot of the times slackers get a easy ride in life. Most frustrating thing about work was wanting to move up to higher levels and not going anywhere,
    so better leave entry level position.

"Great products but poor management team."

I worked at Baden Sports full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome sports ball products and accessories. It was fun working in the sports industry, being proud of your products and selling to retailers, schools, team dealers, etc.

Cons

Poor management team, particularly at the top. This has led to a high turnover rate for sales, accounting and warehouse staff.

Advice to Management

Need to show better appreciation to all employees and pay market rate salaries. Ultimately, you get what you pay for.