Bain & Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Partner Manny Maceda
Manny Maceda

2,091 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "takes care of employees, work life balance" (in 76 reviews)

• "Skill-building - steep learning curve ensures that after a few years you've really got some marketable skills to speak of" (in 70 reviews)

Cons

1. "Phenomenal Place to Start a Career"

Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- People at Bain are top notch
    - Interesting work
    - Culture is great, without being too overwhelming / in your face
    - Seems to be a real focus on diversity, although more progress is needed
    - You can make it what you want
    - Exit opportunities are exceptional

Cons

- As with all project-based work, projects are variable - can get stuck with a bad workstream or project for a couple of months
    - Can get 'stuck' at a certain development level if supervisor isn't focused on your success
    - Pay feels low at times given the number of hours worked

"Welcome to Bain"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Welcome to Bain. I'm going to give you a problem that neither the CEO nor his entire management team could solve. And I'm probably going to give you lots of different opinions and imperfect data sources. And then I'll ask you to focus in on where the most value is and convince all those people with different opinions that you're right. But don't worry, I'm also going to give you a Bain team. Those associates and consultants are going to be tenacious in coming up with creative approaches. Those managers and partners are going to knock down barriers for you, connect you where you need to be connected, guide, support, direct and re-direct you. The office support staff is going to fix your computer after you spilled coffee on it for the third time, find you the unfindable data source, and smile and hand you a baked good after you ask for help re-doing dozens of slides. You are empowered and accountable but you are not alone. And the best part is you can't fail. Because after all, what all those people are reinforcing is that a Bainie never lets another Bainie fail.

Cons

Here's how you know you've made it at Bain. The reward for doing a good job is getting a bigger, tougher problem next time. Meaning, you are always solving the easiest problem you will ever solve again. This takes a lot of resilience and active managing of self-expectations to remember that you are not actually getting worse, the problems are just getting harder. So my advice is to remember that. And then take a second to realize that it would be a lot less fun if the reverse were true. And isn't that precisely why you wanted this job in the first place anyway? It sure was for me.

Advice to Management

Continue to find and promote the leadership that lives our operating principles.

Bain & Company Response

Sep 27, 2016 – Director, Global Consultant Talent Management

You have captured the essence of what it means to work here! Thanks for sharing your experience.

3. "Bain Atlanta"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people; the annual Bain World Cup event around the globe; the diversity and inclusion; the camaraderie; did I mention the people?

Cons

a career path for the CSS staff

4. "Consultant"

I worked at Bain & Company full-time

Pros

Great coworkers and great training

Cons

Long hours; can be unlucky with staffing, based on what is available at a given time

"Culture is the cornerstone, impact is the mission"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bain is a place where you will get early exposure to responsibility and a support network to help you thrive. You work with incredibly positive, ambitious, and energetic people who are always there to support you in and out of the workplace. There is a strong culture of mentoring to ensure you have and develop the skills necessary for long-term success in your career.

Cons

The work can be very fast-paced and someone won't always stop to make sure you're keeping up and clued in. You have to be very proactive about validating your thinking and work-planning for yourself.

6. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Inspiring office environment
    Real personal and professional development
    Strong culture of feedback
    Extremely happy employees with leadership that cares about their goals and development

Cons

Compensation in first 3 years is not as high as competitors

7. "Best place I could imagine starting my career!"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My favorite thing about Bain are the people and the culture. The people there are the reason I am excited to go to work every day, my main motivating factor and my greatest resources for learning and growth. One of my good friends once described the culture as a place where everyone takes their work very seriously but not themselves, and I couldn't agree more. While we work really hard , we also have a ton of fun! Bain continually pushes to create an environment that is extremely open and accepting of all people which is also greatly appreciated. Aside from the people and culture, the thing I value most about Bain is the amount of constant learning and growth I get to experience as a result of both structured and experiential training as well as an intense focus on personal professional development. All of this, combined with providing exceptional results to clients, combines for an unbeatable work experience and the best place I could imagine starting my career (plus the exit opportunities are incredible).

Cons

Long hours depending on case assignment

8. "Best consulting firm!"

Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Working with senior clients on tough business problems
    - Great learning opportunities and career start
    - One team culture (humble, supportive)
    - International opportunities (cases, temporary or permanent transfer)

Cons

- Typical consulting working hours

9. "Financial Analyst"

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time

Pros

The people - Bain seems to attract very kind people that will do anything they can to help out a co-worker. Bain fosters a friendly, non-competitive, "work hard, play hard" environment. I feel like a won the jackpot with the opportunity to work here.

Cons

It often feels like there is a strong divide between the consultants and the support staff. The path to upward mobility is also more difficult and unclear in a support staff role.

Advice to Management

Management should treat consultants and support staff alike. It does not go unnoticed that the benefits are much greater on the consultant side.

10. "Awesome first job"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team culture
    All my best friends work at Bain
    Great learning

Cons

There's a good chance you'll find yourself working on one of the "mega retainer accounts". If you do, your work is les likely to be impactful, learning opportunities are likely to be more limited and you will probably get less client interaction.

Advice to Management

Reassess internal culture of teams at some of the major retainer clients (e.g., why are those below manager never allowed to have client contact?).

Showing 2,091 of 2,226 reviews