Bain & Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 14, 2017

1.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Does not live up to their own hype"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The paycheck does not bounce

Cons

For the past several years we hear the firm is growing >10%, and new offices are opening. So why are support services staff and budgets squeezed so hard?

Advice to Management

All your "Consulting Support Services" staff want and need professional development opportunities just like the consultants do.

2. "teacher"

I worked at Bain & Company full-time

Pros

none to mention at this time

Cons

low salary not enough to survive

3. "Support/Admin Staff are secondary"

Current Employee - TSG in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - TSG in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-You get to work with some great people.
    -Annual offsite meetings are fun

Cons

-No career advancement possible outside of your immediate team. All Global or regional roles are based out of Boston.
    -We keep hearing about the extraordinary growth of the company but continuously see cuts in budgets.
    -CSS staff are secondary citizens to this company.
    -Pay is sub market rate. Every year you hear about how they analyze the market rate and how we are paid what the market is showing. I strongly believe this is false because it's never adjusted. Any raise you get barely counters inflation.
    -When I first started the cell phone reimbursement was $100 and now it is half of that. Meanwhile they raised consultants reimbursement amount.

Advice to Management

San Francisco admin staff NPS scored a record low and you question why it got lower... then tell CSS it is on us to change it. Great idea Director of Bus Ops in SF.

4. "Only work here if you're willing for it to take over your life"

Pros

Great people in your class
    Investment in social comraderie/community

Cons

Very political - if people don't like you they will try to destroy your reputation and career at Bain - and they have the power to do so
    No real work life balance
    No culture of real push back - people succeed by being the "yes-man"

"Political"

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Bain & Company (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good training and some supportive peers

Cons

Extremely political when it comes to promotion. If your supervisor doesn't like you, you are fired

Advice to Management

be more transparent about the promotion cycle

"Hard time retaining CSS people. High turn over"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time

Pros

Nice clients and business is doing well.

Cons

Extreme turn over in my time at Bain. I was considered the role model on my team yet never compensated or appreciated, just given more work. Limited growth in CSS, you will hit a glass ceiling. Constant big brother feeling, Hr will make you feel like you are incompentent of being independent and responsible for your work. No flexibility to work from home, every step in and out of the office is logged and critiqued. Difficult for working CSS moms. The company's core values seem stuffy and old school. HR team is immature and hard to communicate with. Bonus/Benefits for CSS staff are horrendous and barely compettive. Review process is tedious and ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Be more involved in HR's hiring process. They need the training and tools in order to hire more effectively. High turnover should be a red flag.

""This opportunity/company is way over-hyped -- a lot of fuss for very meaningless work.""

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Ability to get an interview almost anywhere after

Cons

- Long hours/always on call for very trivial tasks -- very inefficient work environment
    - Low client interaction at Associate Consultant level
    - Work for a new MBA instead of a more experienced manager or partner
    - I've seen so many people cry at work in < 2 years here and within a year almost everyone wants to quit
    - Cultish environment - the people here are followers not leaders at all
    - People at top (partners) are essentially sales people so a very "salesy" organization

Advice to Management

There is a reason this is the #3 consulting firm -- stop having new MBAs from less than top-tier schools manage talented undergrads from top-tier schools. I wish I had interviewed with BCG and McKinsey as they seem to know how to better nurture top talent.

"great to work out of undergrad but upside is limited"

Former Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

good people, effort to maintain work life balance, social events outside of the office, steep learning curve, smart peers, opportunity to explore different industries

Cons

poor work life balance, sometime low impact work for a consultant, too much emphasis on fun, consulting staff is very young (compared to McK, BCG), client question the level of maturity, partner staff is seldom weak with expertise

Advice to Management

focus more on work life balance, consider strengthening middle management rather than recruiting tons of college grads

"Huge lack of appreciation and even bigger differentiation between lateral and direct hires"

Current Employee - Associate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Current Employee - Associate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am a direct hire at BCC India. Pro is that training are really good. Offsite is another good aspect. Apart from this I don't see a reason why one should join this firm as you may read in cons.

Cons

1. Long working hours
    2. Huge lack of appreciation
    3. Credit given to sycophants and not hard workers
    4. Direct campus hires think themselves smarter than lateral hires and tend to directly insult them on face
    5. Low quality of hiring since past 1 year. Especially, they have started hiring people from Tier 2 colleges also at PL level which creates an imbalance because they hire analyst from Tier 1 college and PLs from Tier 2 college
    6. They have crazy amount of hiring since past 1 year and because of which the quality of work that now BCC gets is degrading day by day. Just so as to keep the staff occupied, BCC just picks up each and every random sh*tty case.

Advice to Management

Two very succinct advise:
    1. Slow down the rate of hiring- focus on status-quo -current staff, and the quality of work. Take some steps to reduce the high rate of attrition that we are seeing of late.
    2. Hire good quality PLs/Senior Associates:- Hire them from Tier 1 colleges only as you hire Analyst/Senior Analysts from Tier 1.

10. "Consultant"

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time

Pros

Bright people if good mindset

Cons

Workload is high but supportive team

Showing 23 of 1,901 reviews