Bain & Company Reviews in United States | Glassdoor

United States

4.6

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance can be challenging (in 259 reviews)

• Sometimes long hours as always in consulting (in 298 reviews)

1. "A fantastic culture shared globally and continually maintained"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Work alongside clients on critical issues
    Interesting problems
    Opportunity to build your own experience
    Strong, collaborative culture that is sustained and valued
    Lack of arrogance, far more concerned with getting stuff done that having a sense of elitism

Cons

I can be upredictable in terms of schedule
    The culture demands a high level of participation which can put some stress on one's own personal life

"Bain is an amazing company. They truly practice what they preach."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Strong culture. Leadership that respects the talent and culture. Fun. Great benefits. Diversity at every level. Fun. Team spirit. Supportive associates. Caring. Respectful surroundings.

Cons

There are very few cons, they are the ones you find at any company. At times it can be stressful. There are times when the work load is heavy. In the end their is a work/life balance which is respected.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you are doing. Listening to all levels in the organization. Keep change coming to continue to make us the best place to work.

"Incredible support, great people, lots of smiles"

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

Pros

There's an incredible amount of attention given to professional development, level of satisfaction with your work, your own personal and professional goals, and so on. But there's also a huge emphasis on company and office culture - the partners work hard to make this a place you *want* to be, because you actually enjoy it.

Cons

The hours can be daunting, and some of the actual day-to-day work (read: the work of consultants) is not hugely inspiring. Running surveys and mining data for insights is exciting for some people.. but not all people. Also, while the culture is fantastic in some offices, it is still in development stages in others - especially the newer ones.

Advice to Management

Experience sharing across offices to make Bain a *universally* enjoyable environment

"Great place to work out of undergrad"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

- Very smart and genuinely nice colleagues
    - Ability to work with top companies in the world
    - Great training

Cons

Nightmare projects do happen once in a while: travel 4 days, boring case (i.e. optimize salesforce performance), and manager that's lacking confidence hence is driving the team to work 60 hour workweeks with no visible reason. However that is not the norm.

"Fantastic employer, amazing environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

- fun environment that promotes socializing and genuine friendships
    - competent management that inspire confidence and respect
    - feeling of being surrounded by incredibly impressive, admirable people

Cons

- sometimes had to strike optimal work life balance

6. "Fun, great people, a lot of leaning opportunities"

Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with great people, learning a varied skillset and getting to know a wide range of different industries. Great career opportunities coming out.

Cons

Could be very long hours on some cases. A very steep learning curve, a lot of travel (though still less than the other consulting companies)

"Challenging and exciting summer internship"

Current Intern - Associate Consultant Intern in Dallas, TX
    Current Intern - Associate Consultant Intern in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Bain & Company as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting and meaningful work, tons of fun events, personable co-workers, bosses are easy to relate to, pay isn't bad, either

Cons

Hours can be long and pressure can be intense depending on what case you're staffed on; all the fun you have on weekends leaves little time for rest

Advice to Management

Don't start pulling us off of our case work so often and so early in the internship to work on our final presentations. I feel like we get more out of working with our teams than presenting 10 slides to a few partners.

"Working at Bain has given me work/life flexibility and the opportunity to make a significant global impact"

Current Employee - Case Team Leader in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Case Team Leader in New York, NY

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are smart, dynamic and fun and the global network of peers is fantastic. There is a strong focus on results and efficiency which optimizes the work we do and the outcome for our clients. The company does more than help other companies grow their profits,they are also very commited to driving social change and have both a formal and informal way for employees to get involved. There are great flexible career path options to enhance work/life balance - I'm taking advantage of one right now. And if you decide Bain isn't for you, it's a highly sought-after training ground for other careers (headhunters call all the time) and there is a strong alumni network to leverage for connections.

Cons

As with any consulting firm, being client-facing comes with two big cons: travel and schedule unpredictability. Bain tries to minimize both (e.g. not being away the full week if on a travel case, planning key client meetings in advance, anticipating the unexpected), but there's always an element that will remain uncontrollable.

Advice to Management

Continue supporting the flexible options for your employees - work/life balance is only going to increase in importance. Continue investing globally in social impact/pro bono work - it makes us all feel good to be part of the firm knowing that our company-wide efforts are effecting global change.

9. "Bain & Company has offered me an incredible platform upon which to build a great career; the learning, impact, and a won"

Current Employee - Partner in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Partner in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people and culture are hard to believe from the outside. It's truly exraordinary.

Cons

It's an intense place; need to bring your running shoes!

Advice to Management

Keep investing in people and culture. It's what makes Bain so special.

"Great post-MBA landing spot"

Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Engaged and energetic people
    - Workable lifestyle
    - Multiple opportunities outside of work

Bain is a great place to work post-MBA. I have colleagues that are younger and engage in multiple additional opportunities including the Bain Band, non-profit work, and recruiting, as well as colleagues who have young children and still find time to balance their case work while spending time with their families. Los Angeles in particular is a smaller office within the North American system and within 3 months you'll definitely know everyone's name (as opposed to just randomly passing them in the hall and awkwardly nodding)

Cons

- High turnover (typical of consulting)
    - May have to spend some time in your car

Like any consulting you may be staffed in a case that involves significant and / or inconvenient travel (but there's always Starwoods) or with a manager whose working style differs from your own. But these apply to the field in general more than Bain and I think the company does a good job of utilizing a regional model to minimize excessive or unnecessary travel and having multiple opportunities for upward feedback including monthly case team surveys that are displayed in the office kitchen to help improve case team dynamics.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, while prioritizing making sure our case mix stays diverse and our culture stays vibrant.

Showing 32 of 1,661 reviews