Bain & Company Reviews | Glassdoor

1,487 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,487 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • work-life balance was very demanding (in 243 reviews)

• It can be tiring as we usually have to deal with long hours (in 265 reviews)

"Fantastic Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Bain & Company (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bain was a springboard for my next position as a CEO. I believe above all it taught me how to create a company with a success-oriented culture.

Cons

Bain only hires the very best people from the very best schools in the world. That means that however smart you are you are always sprinting to meet the Bain standards.

Advice to Management

I would focus more on thought leadership. Your two main competitors, McKinsey and BCG, get more than their fair share of awareness because Bain chooses to focus on making its clients successful rather than marketing its own brand.

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Huge focus on professional development. Teams often very flat. Fun, smart people.

Cons

Hours can obviously be long but this is often the case with interesting work at a junior level and most people know this before joining

Advice to Management

none.

3. "Great company, lots of career trajectory"

Former Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bain & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really smart people, fulfilling work, will always be doing something interesting

Cons

Not a lot, sometimes the work can get overwhelming at times

5. "best place to work"

Current Employee - Principal in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Principal in New York, NY

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

best people. best culture. interesting projects

Cons

you will work fairly hard. bain is nice about it, but success at this job requires serious dedication and entails significant tradeoffs

"Associate Consultant"

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Intelligent colleagues, great pay, collegiate culture, immense growth opportunity, fast-pace, endless exit opportunities, strong alumni network

Cons

Sometimes long hours; experience is almost completely case dependent

7. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All my projects at Bain have been extremely interesting and rewarding, and I've enjoyed working with almost everyone who I've been on a team with from first-year analysts (ACs) to 20-year partners. I find everyone has a passion for work that I rarely saw in my previous corporate career. Everyone here is where they are because they enjoy the challenge and thrive with the stimulation of the poorly defined problems that we face in our work day in and day out.

Cons

Work/life balance can be challenging, but if you own it for yourself, you are given a lot of room to decide how to manage your own life. If you allow someone to control your schedule, then they'll happily take it without apologies, but no one has prohibited me from deciding what hours I want to work and how to manage my own life. It's not a 40-hour week by any means, but it's also not a 60-hour week. It's all about finding your own balance.

Advice to Management

Stress throughout the organization that work-life balance is a number one priority. I've never been challenged for owning my schedule, but it is not explicitly told so many don't feel as comfortable taking free rein.

8. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people, learning, prestige, diversity of industries, and incredibly meaningful work done for some of the most prestigious organizations in the world.

Cons

You don't always get the cases you want when you want them, but that is an inherent quirk of the job.

9. "You cannot pick a better place to start your career"

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

With responsibility right out of the gate and a learning curve that never ends, Bain is an incredible place to join the business world, no matter what you want to do with your career. The culture of support, fun, and energy cannot be beat and I love the people I work with and learn from on a daily basis.

Cons

It is up to you to create your own lifestyle, so learning to be a self-advocate early on can be tricky.

10. "Exposure to most influential organizations and toughest problems"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast-paced environment. Learning never stops. Work on the most pressing issues for the world's most influential organizations (Fortune 500, private equity / hedge funds, etc.)

Cons

The steep learning curve and high expectations can make for stressful environments. The great people help ease the stress in those high-stake environments. Feedback on your work comes constantly and can contribute to the stress.

Advice to Management

Maintain high standards for promotions to make sure the best employees lead over teams. Maintain and/or improve quality of employee benefits.

11. "Hard work, but worth it"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined Bain because I wanted to learn how businesses work and because I wanted to do so in a fun, supportive environment.

Every day I feel that I am learning something new. Whether it's "hard" skills, like building robust models and crafting clear presentations, or "soft" skills, like developing interpersonal relationships, I am constantly presented with opportunities to better myself.

I also feel that my work has real impact. My analysis contributes to important client decisions, which gives me great motivation for and satisfaction from my work.

Best of all, Bainies are smart and genuinely friendly. I never feel that I am in a cutthroat environment and my colleagues and mentors are genuinely interested in helping me progress my career. This collaborative and supportive mindset is an inviolable aspect of our culture.

Cons

As with any professional services work, there is great variability in working hours. Supervisors are generally cognizant of these demands and do their best to maintain sustainability.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in our culture

Showing 1,487 of 1,584 reviews