Bain & Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Bain & Company Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance can be challenging (in 254 reviews)

• Sometimes long hours as always in consulting (in 278 reviews)

1. "Hands down best place to work"

Current Employee - Principal in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Principal in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People, culture, career opportunities, ability to grow and learn, compensation... all top notch.

I'm convinced I could not find a company with the same quality of people... smart, fun, collaborative, friendly, interesting

Cons

Life can be unpredictable, but that is the only way you get the variety and the interesting work!

2. "Make real impact while developing a tremendous skill set"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. You work on the most important, complex problems the client is facing - which is both immensely challenging and energizing.
    2. Because of this, you get the chance to develop a wide range of skills that truly prepare you for a career as a business leader, regardless of your plans (stay at Bain, move on to for or not-for profit
    3. The support network - and just the general type of people that you are surrounded with - is fantastic. You really become friends with your colleagues and so many people take an active interest in your development and overall satisfaction with the firm/office/career.

Cons

It's consulting, so there the typical long hours and decent amount of travel. As a member of management, trying to make all the pieces fit can be challenging, balance client demands with the desires of people on the team, etc...

3. "Came for 2 years, still here after 6+"

Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic, supportive colleages. Interesting work across industries and challenging types of problems. Best in class training - have been to 5 global training sessions in fantastic locations with even better trainers.

Cons

Client service and work ethic places demands on work-life balance; hard to find balance on a daily or weekly basis pending deadlines and deliverables

Advice to Management

None - I have worked in many other places and Bain is incredibly well-managed. Seriously.

4. "Fantastic place to learn, develop, and work with inspiring people"

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Significant dedication to your professional development
    Steep learning curve that never seems to flatten
    Awesome, smart, insprining, fun co-workes you sincerly miss when you move on to a new project

Cons

Travel cases can drag on (4 days a week in Phoenix for 6+ months)
    It's hard - as soon as you've mastered your job, you're expected to take on more

5. "The most incredible set of learning experiences I've ever had"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are fantastic, the problems you are tasked to solve are challenging and interesting, and the training/coaching is second to none.

Cons

At times your schedule can be unpredictable and swing from very manageable to unmanageable, but this is to be expected in the world of strategy consulting.

Advice to Management

Invest in the 1st-2nd years and make sure their team experiences are good; it will pay serious dividends when it comes to the quality of work they put forth.

6. "Best place to work, hands down"

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bain does amazing work for its clients. The focus is always on delivering results and working collarboratively with the clients. It is very rewarding work.

The people at Bain are the best. People are supportive and help you develop your career. The combination of making an impact at my clients and working with amazing people make me want to build my career at Bain.

Cons

As with all consulting, the hours can be long, so know what you're getting into before choosing a consulting career. Bain is rewarding, both financially and personally, and it takes dediciation to sustain it long term.

7. "Great people, great culture, great work"

Current Employee - Consultant (Second Year) in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Consultant (Second Year) in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you work with are always high quality and geniunely invest in your future.
    The local staffing model produces an environment that is more sustainable than other consulting companies I have worked for.
    The culture results in a place that is fun to work in and long-lasting relationships inside and outside of the workplace.

Cons

The generalist model certainly has its pros and cons - especially when you join later in your career.
    Bain's dominance in the world of private equity can result in some great learnings, but also pretty much requires its employees to take a tour through the demanding Private Equity Group at some point in their career.

8. "Incredible!"

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong focus on personal development
    Value driven approach minimizes unnecessary work and yield loss
    Smart and collaborative people
    Relatively more sustainable
    Fun culture

Cons

More office centric than key competitors (not always a negative)
    Room for improvement in diversity and sustainability

9. "At Bain, the work is both challenging and interesting and the people truly make it the greatest place to start a career"

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked on some very interesting projects around the country. I have been given the training and mentoring needed to succeed, while having the autonomy to drive results for our clients with minimum oversight. As great as the work is, at the end of the day, it really is about the people. The people at this company care about your success and really push you to succeed

Cons

The work we do is great but the lifestyle can be rough at times. Traveling away from a family is never easy, but Bain does try to accommodate a more flexible work schedule when possible. Additionally, leading up to a big client update, the hours can be pretty rough, again taking a toll on the work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Continue to make the strides forward in addressing tough work/life balance situations--this will drive to even higher morale and better support from the employees

10. "Best place to build a career!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Incredible learning opportunities - I am learning everyday and am never bored. Tremendous flexibility. I really feel like I can work full-time and also be an everyday part of my children's lives. Great support - I always feel like there are people to help me and advise me when I have questions or want to bounce ideas around.

Cons

Bain is an intense, exciting and exhausting place to work. You will be challenged by your colleagues every day and cannot come to work without your A-game on.