Bain & Company Reviews | Glassdoor

2,106 reviews

Full-timePart-time

2,106 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Management truly care about work/life balance" (in 74 reviews)

• "High impact on businesses worldwide, extremely steep learning curve, supportive environment and colleagues you are proud to work with" (in 70 reviews)

Cons

1. "Incredible place to start your career"

Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Terrific people, constant learning, myriad of different roles, fantastic company culture

Cons

Work/Life balance, occasional long hours

Advice to Management

Consider accelerate tracks to Manager

2. "Best place to start career"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun people - down-to-earth, and rather than simply being collegial, are willing to be friends outside of the workplace. Emphasis on professional development - regular, honest feedback is both transparent and valued. Great firm culture and amazing company events. Exit opportunities abound.

Cons

Hours can be tough, and work-life balance has to be fought for. Minimal control over staffing assignments. Can be tough if you feel like you don't fit the Bain mold culturally.

Advice to Management

Genuinely value sustainability for your employees, and make diversity in both hiring and retention a priority, or risk losing talent.

3. "Bain is an amazing place to work / start your career"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- INCREDIBLE people - truly the most fun group of colleagues I know. Social, outgoing, and almost everyone prioritizes having a life outside of work.
    - Great unique benefits - Bain's culture is very strong due to events like Bain World Cup and other regular events that Bain organizes (and pays for) to keep everyone engaged and happy
    - Really interesting work - This is probably true for any top consulting firm, but Bain's cases really do run the gamut and offer a range of interesting and fulfilling options

Cons

- Honestly...I'm trying to think of one. A job is a job...there will obviously be times that it's not fun, or that you aren't getting a ton of sleep, but by and large, Bain does a great job making life sustainable.
    - The only other con is that our compensation is lower than our peers in the 2nd year and beyond

Advice to Management

- Pay the Associate Consultants more...even though we all get paid the same the first year, a gap develops in year 2 and beyond and it makes it difficult to justify staying at Bain.

4. "Bain WC is a blast!"

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time

Pros

Has great worldwide events like the world cup, great staffing, really tremendous humans.

Cons

Need to know what you are getting yourself into with Consulting in general but Bain is the best of the big three

Advice to Management

Focus on building client capabilities, not just showcasing work.

5. "Great People, Great Culture,Amazing Learning"

Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bain has so many flexible work options and perks that go with the job. Bain paid for me (travel and housing, fully paid) to go to Australia for 6 month so I could explore a new culture and meet new people. Bain also has a annual event (Bain world cup where it pays for employees from all offices around the world to come together (this year in London) and play soccer and other sports and also hosts parties in the evenings. This is all to say the firm cares about the people and the experience. We definitely work hard but the Bain leadership cares about the people and especially sustainability and doesn't run people into the ground. I've been at Bain for just over 2 years and I've had the opportunity to work for several Fortune 100 companies doing major transformational work and I've learned so much along the way.

Cons

Like any consulting role, its client facing so there's a bit of unpredictability in travel or schedule week to week.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on sustainability and flexible work arrangements as art of the firm's overall benefits/comp offer.

6. "Would highly recommend!"

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely the people, hands down!

Cons

Work life balance can be a little lacking sometimes

7. "Great culture and learning environment"

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bain cares a lot about its people and has built a culture around mentorship, learning, and fun. It's a great launching pad for either a career as a consultant or a career elsewhere.

Cons

While the overall experience / culture is a good one, day-to-day work satisfaction can be highly dependent on the specific case.

8. "Bain is consistently named a "Best Company to Work For" for a reason"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture
    Great pay
    Great employees
    Interesting working
    Opportunity to work in a variety of industries
    Supportive leadership team

Cons

The work is pretty intense and there can be some incredibly challenging days. Hours can be crazy depending on the case, but honestly even the cons are rewarding.

Advice to Management

Do better when it comes to diversity. Bain is such a great place to work, but that shouldn't be the case for only a certain type of person.

9. "Incredibly smart, supportive people working on challenging business problems"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees and teams at Bain are by far the best part of this job. Everyone is driven, fun to work with, and incredibly smart. You are able to learn from your peers everyday, and I am constantly inspired by my mentors. The culture at Bain is absolutely unmatched!

Cons

Work life balance can always be tough in a demanding job . However, I feel that Bain leadership is always striving for better sustainability, and tries to minimize travel to the client site whenever possible.

10. "Best place to work after college"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time

Pros

This job will give you the best people to work with, and some of the coolest problems to work on. I don't think there is a better place to work after school. There's a culture and a spirit here -- created both organically and systematically -- that drive a supportive, mentorship-driven, and feedback-based culture that permeates everything we do. You'll be given opportunities to step up and act beyond your years, and you'll learn as much, as quickly, here at Bain as just about any other job out there. But you never be alone as you do it, because there will be a team and network to support you the whole way through.

Cons

The long hours and travel can be frustrating and exhausting. The learning curve is real, and it's real steep. When you feel like you've half-mastered something, there is another task ahead of you, and it can be hard to keep your head up unless you're resilient and determined to keep improving.

Showing 2,106 of 2,242 reviews