Bain & Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 27, 2017
1,515 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,515 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Bain AAG has Amazing work life balance (in 64 reviews)

• Incredibly steep learning curve (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance can be challenging (in 247 reviews)

• Be prepared for long hours on some cases (in 272 reviews)

1. "Best Place to Work, hands down"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Supportive work environment, everyone has passion about delivering results to our clients. Smart, driven employees who care about our clients and each other.

Cons

You'll work hard at Bain but it's worth it!

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing work!

2. "Love going to work every day"

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work is incredible. At Bain, we tackle challenging problems with clients who are often in crisis and need dynamic solutions tailored to their unique culture. I think that's what makes Bain different - we are highly responsive to clients, and instead of pulling a generic solution off the shelf, we build our answer from the ground up. The Partners I work with would never in good faith hand off a recommendation to a client then walk away. We embed the idea of "results delivery" in all of our work, so that the solution we identify can be successfully implemented by the client once we leave.

As a former AC, I truly believe Bain is the best possible place you can start your career. The company cares deeply about your professional development and it comes through in global training, in bi-weekly professional development chats with your Manager, and in coaching sessions with your mentor, your colleague and your Professional Development Advisor (3 different people!)

The people are also amazing :)

Cons

It's a professional services job so at the end of the day, it's the client that makes the final go/no-go decision. You can have the perfect solution but if the CEO has different ideas, then there's nothing you can do about that.

As an AC or a Consultant, you own your workstream and get to develop an idea from inception to client handoff, but often times you don't see the FULL lifecycle of a particular idea or solution, like you would at a startup or as a product manager.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in ideas and events that support the professional and personal growth of Bainies - it's what makes this place so special.

3. "Work hard, play hard"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Good culture, good people. Flexible work options if you go internal but it also comes with a salary cut.

Cons

Client travel required - typically 3-4 days away.

4. "Principal"

Current Employee - Principal in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Principal in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very strong culture, collegial work environment, interesting work, great compensation, local staffing, great career development opportunities and professional development, diversity

Cons

Long hours, travel cases, steep learning curve, predictability low at lower levels, case variety

5. "Greatest Place to Work in the World!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is no better place to work than Bain & Company. They are the most supportive and fun work place I have ever seen. Everyone is so kind and invested in your personal and professional growth.

Cons

There is an amazing work/life balance at Bain, but I wish we had more work from home days!

6. "Still loving it"

Current Employee - Principal in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Principal in Boston, MA

Pros

It's hard not love the ability to have a material impact on our clients' businesses, the long-term development of the people with whom we work (both clients and teams), and the way that Bain operates through constant innovation. It's what still keeps me hear after so many years

Cons

Sustainability is less about hours and more about uncertainty, driven by the client services nature of our business. This gets easier the more senior you are (and have more control over the calendar), but CEOs still call at 5pm on a Friday...

Advice to Management

Continue investing to ensure that Bain stays the best place for top business talent to start (and grow) their careers

7. "Best place to work for recent college grads"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great place to start a career
    - Lots of learning opportunities and mentorship/support
    - Interesting work, cool problems to solve
    - Fun teams, amazing office culture
    - Enjoy going to work every day

Cons

- Hours can sometimes be long, but it is worth it for the learning opportunities and relationships you develop

8. "Very meticulously data architecting"

Current Employee - Data Atchitect Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Data Atchitect Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, can meet diversed group of people, bosses are good and friendly, data architecting is my strength with SQL.

Cons

Dealing and negotiating with clients are a big headache to upper management. Plus deadlines is crucial has to be met in order results are being delivered.

Advice to Management

Work life balance

9. "Drinking knowledge from a water hose"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company (More than a year)

Pros

I started working at Bain after college. I can't imagine a better place to develop myself the first few years after college. The quality of talent pushes me to a level of excellence I rarely find my friends in other companies being held to, the level of investment others have given me has been unexpected from a personal and professional level, and the work I am given is challenging but helps me grow further.

I don't know many places where my supervisor and managers make it priority to give me feedback weekly and if an unplanned event (client meeting) occurs, still honor that commitment to personal growth if it means staying at the office at 9 pm with dinner.

Cons

You are constantly on that once you're "off" you feel the burn from all the work. Long hours are not uncommon. This is the trade off you make when you work at Bain. You grow and learn, but it comes at the price of being "on" longer than at other places.

Advice to Management

Check up on how the junior people are doing. People lie on time sheets. What you see as 50 hours might be 60 or more.

10. "Engaging work, great career path"

Current Employee - Case Team Leader in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Case Team Leader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been working at Bain for just over five years now (excluding breaks for school) - consistently challenging and interesting, high quality work, high investment in the people

Cons

This job is only rarely a 9 to 5 kind of thing. There's a decent amount of travel (though much less than many competitors) and some unpredictable spikes, as in any client services business

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - and make sure the formula continues to work as well as we grow

Showing 1,515 of 1,614 reviews