Bain & Company Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

San Francisco, CA

4.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
Cons
  • work-life balance was very demanding (in 236 reviews)

• Often long hours to work on trivial things (in 266 reviews)

1. "Amazing place to start your career"

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible people, culture, learning opportunities. Remarkably safe place to grow and develop

Cons

Can be hierarchial at times, incredibly unpredictable due to client services nature of business

"Best place to start your career"

Former Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bain & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- World-class training
    - Mentorship is deeply ingrained
    - Everyday going to work is fun because of the people
    - Opens up many new career paths
    - Great transition into the world of business for someone with an engineering degree

Cons

- Consulting lifestyle can be draining after a while

Advice to Management

- Keep focused on the culture
    - Continue developing and accelerate use of new tools and big data analytics

3. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Huge focus on professional development. Teams often very flat. Fun, smart people.

Cons

Hours can obviously be long but this is often the case with interesting work at a junior level and most people know this before joining

Advice to Management

none.

5. "Great company, lots of career trajectory"

Former Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bain & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really smart people, fulfilling work, will always be doing something interesting

Cons

Not a lot, sometimes the work can get overwhelming at times

6. "New AC - definitely recommend"

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong company culture that is fun, friendly, and productive when necessary. Bainies know how to get the job done and relax once it's complete. Many different people will help you with your professional development. People really believe in the credo that a Bainie never let's another Bainie fail.

Cons

Moving to a new office in a year so our current office is over capacity. New office should be amazing though.

Advice to Management

Invest a little more into the old office for the next 11 months.

"Best Culture. Best Consultants. Best Firm."

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company (More than a year)

Pros

- Culture, culture, culture!
    - Learning opportunities (e.g., Big Data, industries, capabilities, etc.)
    - Client Exposure
    - Name Recognition
    - Mentorship and Coaching
    - Ability to expand interests outside of Bain
    - Post-Bain career opportunities
    - (Mostly) protected weekends

Personal Anecdote: I was choosing between Bain and BCG and I found that the culture, and client work done at Bain SF the selling point for me. Hands down, this office and this company are unparalleled in their ability to build a cultivating and thriving culture that is fun and inspiring.

Random note: You can expense things on your personal card versus the corporate card which allows you to keep all the points. This isn't the same across all firms.

Cons

- Lifestyle is rough
    - Hours are long
    - Too fratty at times

Advice to Management

Keep sustainability top of mind for the company.

8. "MBA - Summer Internship Experience 2016"

Former Intern - Summer Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Summer Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bain & Company as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

From day one, MBA interns join a client-facing team and are expected to make meaningful contributions to the team's output. Above and beyond delivering client results, I found that my team made an incredible effort to focus on my personal and professional development as I tried to understand how a full-time career at Bain might take shape. To sum it up in a few words: intellectual stimulating, deeply collaborative, real results, skill development, and above all, fun!

Cons

Occasionally I worked longer hours than I expected in response to client needs, but nothing unreasonable. To mitigate this issue, Bain teams review their priorities weekly and complete an anonymous sustainability survey (shared at the team level) to help senior team members understand whether the team is feeling underwhelmed or overworked. I personally observed a rich discussion and a corrective action taken as a result of this survey.

Advice to Management

I had a terrific summer, please continue to deliver an experience that enables interns to appreciate what a career at Bain might look like.

"Best Place To Work For CONSULTANTS"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bain & Company (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, good review structure, amazing benefits, nice in-office perks.

Cons

Extremely fast-paced work environment, if you're not on the Consulting side of things, you're not considered quite a full "Bainie".

Advice to Management

Think about ways to improve equity between support roles and consulting roles. Keep working to find a better career progression for support employees.

"Best career choice I made"

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coming from an advanced degree background (Ph.D.) I was looking for a place that would have excellent mentorship, great network, excellent culture, and limitless opportunities to work on exciting projects and develop the skills I need to success in the business world. Bain has exceeded my expectations.

-Very interesting and high impact projects (my experience has been mostly in healthcare in the SF office) and excellent private equity group
    -Awesome training and mentorship (very useful as an advanced degree, clear goals and stepwise increase in responsibilities)
    -Very sustainable (big emphasis of teams; lots of families; I can do it and I have a 2 year old)
    -Local staffing with opportunities to travel if you choose to
    -Close knit office culture (partners are easily accessible and supportive; local staffing really helps you develop relationships with people in your office)
    -Long-standing relationships with clients (again because of local emphasis; allows one to have access to higher level projects and executives)
    -Great network outside of Bain that has strong ties to Bain and is willing to help
    -Growing business (very high growth globally and in the SF office)
    -Opportunities for social impact, externships, office transfers, etc.
    -Excellent paternity leave (8 weeks of paid leave and supportive culture where everyone takes the full amount)

Cons

I can't think of any. Cons would be general to the consulting industry (i.e. you have to like working on teams, diverse projects, and put in hard work)

Advice to Management

Keep up the dedication to mentorship, transparency/genuineness, positive energy, open to upward feedback and involving the entire community from associate consultant to senior consultants/managers to staff to continue making Bain an exciting, high growth environment

11. "Bain is the best!!!!"

Current Employee - Case Team Leader in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Case Team Leader in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Best place to learn: structured thinking, get to know most important trends in any industry, learn how to drive change at orgs and how execs think, learn how to manage teams with great professional development tools, build sweet decks and learn how to model
    - Build network: particularly if you're staying in same geography, broader Bain network can enable you to do almost anything
    - Growth trajectory: Bain continues to do really well financially, means great career growth trajectory

Cons

- We constantly push really hard - hours aren't as long as some other consulting firms, but that's made possible through ruthless prioritization. It's not the kind of job where you can just write off a day
    - Hourglass team structure - more than competitors, we put so much on the manager position

Advice to Management

- Continue to do everything possible to win top majority of cross-offers with McK, BCG
    - Offer clients more flexibility in team structure (less M+4)

Showing 93 of 1,538 reviews