Baker Botts Reviews in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX | Glassdoor

Baker Botts Managing Partner Andrew M. Baker
Andrew M. Baker
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Nice place to work with nice people (in 3 reviews)

• Excellent firm with brilliant lawyers and competent staff (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is non existent (in 4 reviews)

• Staff isn't appreciated as much as lawyers; lack of fairness across the board in some departments (in 4 reviews)

"Private Information"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Excellent firm with brilliant lawyers and competent staff. The firm has placed a new focus on improving development of lawyers and staff over the past year. I was fortunate to have worked with this well-respected firm.

Cons

I would have liked to see improvement in the volume of information about upper managements vision and business strategy that was provided to lower level lawyers and staff. With the constant movement in firms, perhaps this detail would help to create more cohesiveness throughout the ranks.

Advice to Management

My response to the Cons section sums up my comments to Management. I would like to thank them however for the opportunity to work with this firm. I appreciate the work it takes to manage a firm with over 750 lawyers and its staff.

2. "Great Experience While Preparing For Law School"

Current Employee - Paralegal Clerk in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Paralegal Clerk in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Baker Botts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a wonderful firm to work for. It is sometimes difficult to tell who is a partner from who is an associate due to the respectful and equal interactions between the attorneys. Everyone has an open door and it is not intimidating to ask questions or even to stop in and talk about future law school prospects. The standard workday at the firm is 7.5 hours with an hour lunch break, and although the position is salaried, overtime past 37.5 hours per week is paid on an hourly basis at time and a half, which adds up very quickly.

Cons

Due to it being a larger firm, much of the work can be very clerical and not challenging/stimulating, but if you take the time to read some of the documents you are working with, you will gain some great exposure to legal documents. How much you put in is how much you will get out of the experience.

3. "Competent attorneys, helpful staff"

Former Intern - Summer Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Intern - Summer Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Baker Botts as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, interesting legal work

Cons

Certain personalities within the organization are difficult to work with

4. "Great law firm"

Former Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX

Pros

respectful partners, good work, decent work/life balance

Cons

billing hours sucks but you can't get around it!

5. "I love Baker Botts."

Current Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX

Pros

I especially appreciate the quality of work, the people, the flexibility of my working hours, the training, and the attention to professional development. Baker Botts is open with associates about their progress and whether they are on the right track. The firm encourages pro bono and does not limit the number of pro bono hours that count toward billables. There are endless opportunities for professional networking and community involvement. There are also amazing office perks.

Cons

I cannot think of any downsides. Personal initiative is key.

Advice to Management

I love my job. I appreciate the opportunities that I have here to become a great lawyer. I also appreciate the formal and informal mentoring available.