Baker College Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Baker College President/CEO Bart Daig
Bart Daig

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They always put student success first and employees receive great benefits" (in 10 reviews)

• "Lots of them had full-time jobs, single parent, yet focused on earning a degree" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay relative to experience/education needed" (in 15 reviews)

• "Little Room for Growth at the college" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

""Making a difference""

Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Flint, MI
    Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Flint, MI

I have been working at Baker College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked at BC for many years. Very rarely is there a day that I am not excited to have the opportunity to help change someones life for the better. I work with a team of like minded individuals whose sole goal is to help students achieve the kind of future to which they aspire.

Cons

BC is not for the faint of heart. If you are not motivated to be the best at what you do BC is probably not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep the high standards. Keep pushing individuals to strive to be the best ambassadors for the college they can be. Don't lose sight that we have hundreds of dedicated employees.

2. "Navigating Organizational Change and Restructuring"

Current Employee - Dean of Culinary in Port Huron, MI
    Current Employee - Dean of Culinary in Port Huron, MI

I have been working at Baker College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent commitment to quality student outcomes. Our division has been given exceptional support by both campus and systems leadership. As a whole we have weathered some difficult times recently with large scale organizational changes and restructuring. Given the massive changes that we have undergone, in the short amount of time that we have experienced them, I believe that the college has done as good a job as can be expected. To look ahead and understand that change was, needed is one thing. Actually doing so, is an entirely different matter. Having worked previously in two large state university’s I appreciate the hard decisions that had to be, made to position Baker College for the future. I have witnessed what happens when needed changes are not made, the negative effects on students, staff and faculty. Nothing is ever, perfect; Baker College has existed for over 100 years and I think it is commendable and even courageous for the leadership to implement the changes that have been made. Unpopular difficult decision have been made but at the end of the day everything being done is in the best interest of our students and for the health and well being of the College.

Benefits are excellent.

Cons

Every organization can be better. Communication while not necessarily a con could at times be much better. It is sometimes lacking. With the major changes being done, it can sometimes lead people to fill in the blanks themselves. Which rarely ends up being a good thing. There is understandably a lot of anxiety right now system wide. Succinct communication is very important at this time.

Advice to Management

Stay strong, weather the storm. There are people at all levels that understand that what we are going through is necessary. And that we as an organization will be better off for it when we are over the mountain. And that ultimately our students will benefit.

"."

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Baker College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They have a good benefit package.

Cons

.They do not pay well.

"Work Dominates All"

I have been working at Baker College full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Community feeling within employees at each campus.

Cons

Expectation to work outside of set work hours.
    Pay is less than similar colleges and universities.
    Loss of input with the numerous rapid decisions/changes occurring.

5. "Excellent programs, values students"

Current Employee - Online Adjunct Faculty in Flint, MI
    Current Employee - Online Adjunct Faculty in Flint, MI

I have been working at Baker College part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The mission is genuine and easy to get behind. Upper administration is excellent about planning for the future and keen to what is coming. Students are prepared exceptionally well for their careers and life.

Cons

While no one really knows the nature of HR decisions, from the outside it seems like dedicated, bright, long-term management seem to be removed on occasion due to personality conflicts or for minor or non-existing causes

Advice to Management

Value the quality of work more than office personalities. Perhaps outside mediation could handle minor differences and save good employees that someone/s in upper administration might not prefer on a personal level -- not the person's work, work ethic, etc, but just doesn't prefer because the person isn't from the same hometown, doesn't have the same exercise habits or lifestyle, doesn't have the same kind of pets or family, or whatever random reasons that may cause unusual personality conflicts like this. (Who really knows what is to blame for personality conflicts?) Second, unless there is an accreditation reason, please don't change rules midstream (example: calling a faculty degree a terminal degree [that actually is a terminal degree] and then later calling it not one [even though it is still actually a terminal degree]). Third, when part-time faculty give up pay from their other part-time jobs to atttend conferences, please at least know some of us are getting docked from our other jobs -- losing $300-$600 just to attend for a few days. And we still have bills to pay. I'm straight-up not asking that we get compensated for lost pay that is not your responsibility at all to make up, but just that it be understood we are really trying to fit in because we love Baker, love the students, and believe in the mission. We really want to feel like we are part of the team. The other adjuncts I have spoken to are all proud to work for Baker, even when occasionally we see things that make us sad in either how we are treated or how others are treated. Baker has superb programs for the students; that is without question. Students are getting a first-rate education at an excellent value. No organization is perfect, Baker is darn close, but I think it could even be better.

6. "Administrative"

I worked at Baker College full-time

Pros

Good benefits, good pay, good vacation

Cons

Cookie cutter environment to work in

"Upper Management,"

I worked at Baker College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits were strong

Cons

What a disaster. System president and his inner circle of “yes-men” have managed change horribly. As a result, the Orhanizational culture is toxic.

Advice to Management

Share your vision, try some transparency and authenticity with your employees. Trust others to do their job, because you do not have the talent and skills to do it all yourself. Meaningful communication from the president more than once a year would have been nice.

Aug 24, 2018 – Dir of Talent Management

Baker College has prided itself on maintaining impressive benefits as one of the ways of showing our appreciation and value for our employees. We are glad to hear you found the compensation strong as... More

8. "Outreach Coordinator"

Current Employee - Outreach Coordinator
    Current Employee - Outreach Coordinator

I have been working at Baker College full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

What a great opportunity to work for an institution that promotes excellence in education. An institution that strives to meet the needs of not only our students, but its employees.

Cons

If taking on a lot of responsibility is not for you, then BC may not be your best option. Early mornings and a few late nights are common, but should be expected.

Advice to Management

The communication and transparency within the department I work in has been absolutely phenomenal! I believe, the reason for this is due to our great leadership and it’s great to be a part of!

Aug 24, 2018 – Dir of Talent Management

So glad to hear that you are finding your employment with Baker College to be rewarding and engaging. Thank you for being apart of the BakerProud team.

9. "Strong foundation with great things going"

I have been working at Baker College full-time

Pros

Benefits, Work-life Balance,, rewarding work, continual improvements with change management

Cons

Would like to see more collaborative within departments

Advice to Management

Overall doing a nice job.

May 29, 2018 – Dir of Talent Management

We were as always pleased that as an employee you are satisfied with the balance, benefits, work, and organizational change you are experiencing with Baker College.

One of the ways that Baker... More

10. "Outreach Coordinator"

Current Employee - Outreach Coordinator in Muskegon, MI
    Current Employee - Outreach Coordinator in Muskegon, MI

I have been working at Baker College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, opportunity to travel to various schools throughout the state, and very rewarding work!

Cons

A few late nights with college fairs, but that's typically just in the Fall.

Advice to Management

Great leader in our department, keeps us well informed of changes and motivated to stay focused on our goals.

May 29, 2018 – Dir of Talent Management

Thank you for your feedback.