Baker Distributing Reviews | Glassdoor

Carole J. Poindexter

1. "store staff"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Volusia, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Volusia, FL

I have been working at Baker Distributing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

medical and dental. At this point I can't think of anything else

Cons

H R and upper management don't care about problems of hourly store employees .

Advice to Management

research better the people who manage your stores.

2. "Systemic problems"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Baker Distributing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People at the store level are real troopers. Lots of them get along very well and support each other.

Cons

Wow, lots. Constant pressure for sales no matter what. Reasons are excuses, and there are no acceptable excuses. No support from management, everyone is expendable, scarcity mentality, constant product shortages on everything from day to day supplies to equipment. There is no hope unless there is a fundamental change in corporate mindset, but if it were to happen it would have quite a while ago.

Advice to Management

Rethink your approach to branch support. Change from a scarcity mindset to being the supplier that always has it (whatever it is).

3. "Dirty Company"

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Baker Distributing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a job, but thats all

Cons

Way too many VP's! Local management has absolutely NO team leadership! NO Training, pay is below industry average, corp office changes commission structure in the middle of a commission period and takes your commission away when you think you have made one. Poor inventory. No opportunity to grow

Advice to Management

Have some leadership and training. Maybe try to communicate with your sales team. Don't talk bad about your employees behind their backs. Have some moral values. Try to be decent human beings

"The worst of the worst"

Current Employee - Service Center Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Service Center Manager in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Baker Distributing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is employment is about the only redeeming value this company has for it's employees

Cons

Upper management gets brilliant ideas and pushes changes and then after a month or two looses interest for another huge brilliant idea from people so far out of touch with actual field level sales it is tragic.

Advice to Management

Fire every single person in corporate and get people in these positions who have actual field level sales experience. Plus the old saying it takes money to make money. When constricting branches to save by running them so lean if one person calls in sick you only have one person at the branch is ridiculous.

6. "Rude and Hateful"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Baker Distributing as a contractor

Pros

If you don't expect professional and courteous service then this is the place for you! Best pro is getting back in your car to leave.

Cons

Morale sucks. Customers complain of the rude treatment they receive when they come in for help. Customer went next door today to ask for help from a neighboring company. Was told where they could find what they were looking for and was treated with respect instead of the disdain they received at Bakers.

Advice to Management

Train people to treat customers with respect and if you are the one(s) who are treating customers so poorly then dig down deep and try to find some manners.

"Horrible company to work for. All they are worried about are the stockholders and numbers."

Former Employee - COUNTER SALES
    Former Employee - COUNTER SALES

I worked at Baker Distributing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Monday - Friday 8-5
    Some benefits, vacation, 401K available, inside the A/C, most of the time, counter sales commission available if you fight for it.

Cons

Hostile work environment. Constant favoritism from upper management. Constant pressure for sales, sales, sales. Threats of losing job if certain "numbers" or budget are not met. Too many upper management positions (VP of Profitability ??? Come on) Positions filled by "friends" of upper management. They are getting rid of, firing, repositioning, forcing out long time (20+ years) employees. They want to get rid of them because long timers had 4 week vacation and 6 sick days, and are getting paid, pretty well. Halfway long timers, like myself, had 3 weeks and 6 sick days, now, your max is 2 weeks. On top of that, are hiring new people, with no field experience, and no or very little whole sale experience, to fill positions, as opposed to hiring from within to avoid paying a decent salary. Basically, they hire a 25 year old, with no HVAC field experience and very little skills to fill a manager position because he'll do it for half the salary of a qualified person. I have personally witnessed, as have other employees and customers, the manager at the branch where I was employed belittle, use profanity, make sexist remarks to a female employee, make age related remarks to an older employee, use money out of the cash drawer and replace it with his own money at the end of the week or when an auditor would come in. I saw the manager ask another employee (his personal friend) to borrow some cash to replenish the cash drawer because an auditor was coming. I have seen this manager come in an hour to two hours late EVERY DAY. He has come in hungover, numerous times. This manager has been reported to HR at least 4 times, 3 times by employees at 2 different branches, and at least once by a customer. On one occasion, the complainant was actually retaliated against and written up by the zone manager for "poking the bear", as he put it. On 2 occasions, the reporting got right back to the manager about whom the report was made. HR relayed the complaint to the zone manager, who went and relayed it right to the manager. I, myself, had never filed a complaint because it's obviously a "good ol' boys club" in business attire. I jumped ship at the first opportunity that I saw. There is so much more that I could say, but have neither the time nor space to write about it.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring and firing employees for no reason. There is no stability as an employee at Baker. Get rid of all of the useless positions, such as VP of Profitability, in corporate and focus on the employees at store level that actually do work and not just send endless e-mails all day long pushing for more, more, more. Get rid of the cheer leader, Mike Hall. He's useless. Get rid of the EBIT system. Maybe focus a little more on employee issues and customer service, and not the shareholders. Stop making empty promises to current valuable employees, just to turn around and stability them in the back. Too much to list. Overall horrible company to work for. If I could give it a "0", I would.