Baker Engineering and Risk Consultants Reviews in San Antonio, TX | Glassdoor

San Antonio, TX Area

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Quentin Baker

1. "Blast Engineer Co-op"

Former Intern - Blast Engineer Co-Op in San Antonio, TX
    Former Intern - Blast Engineer Co-Op in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Baker Engineering and Risk Consultants as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

A quick disclaimer, I worked as an intern in the Blast Section so my experience was probably fairly different then other parts of the company.
    - The job centers around explosion testing and is very hands-on. The work is very enjoyable If you do not like working in an office all day.
    - The company does a fairly good job of maintaining work-life balance despite long hours.
    - With the overtime hours pay is actually very good for an internship. I believe the full-time staff in the Blast Section will also get a large bonus based on the hours they worked.
    - Overall, this was a challenging but very beneficial co-op for me.

Cons

- There are some issues with upper management which caused some turmoil recently. I do not think it is much worse than most other companies though.
    - The job can be physically demanding at times, but not unreasonably so.

2. "CAD operator"

Former Employee - CAD Technician in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - CAD Technician in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Baker Engineering and Risk Consultants (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay and good benefits

Cons

some micromenegement from sertain engineers

"It has been a good fit for me."

Current Employee - Project II Consultant/Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Project II Consultant/Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Baker Engineering and Risk Consultants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging work and pace. Staff are smart and driven. Interesting projects and the people I work with seem to like their jobs and the work. Very well respected technically and that shows in customer relationships and the work you get to do.

Cons

Smallish company and they are trying to handle some areas like training more consistently. You have to be willing to identify your path of interest and then initiate discussion and action to get there. The plus side is I have experienced a lot of flexibility once I helped define the direction I was interested in.

Advice to Management

Tell us more about how the company is doing.

5. "Not sure this is the right fit for me."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Stable company, good benefits. Growing company but it is a very painful process.

Cons

people seem unhappy in thier jobs. A lot of the managers have been here for 10+ years and not really sure what they do. Work life balance is not what they sell you in the interview, neither is the bonuses at the end of the year. A lot of type A personalities that clash. Going through major growing pains, a lot of the management is afraid of change and not accepting to making the changes needed.

Advice to Management

Doing things to help the moral of the company. Your people are your greatest asset.

"Good place to work if you aren't Admin"

Current Employee - In Administrative Section in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - In Administrative Section in San Antonio, TX

Pros

The overall culture of the company is nice. The CEO arrives before most employees and his door is always open. Bonus is nice and so are the people. The company is also pretty transparent with it's employees which is great.

Cons

If you aren't an engineer, you aren't valued. All admin staff from accounting, clerical, contracting, and HR are just overhead and you feel that. They definitely don't want to pay you overtime if you work it. Also, if you are in one of these admin positions, there is no room to grow or advance. HR is unhelpful. Salary could definitely be better.

Advice to Management

None

"The job offers really interesting projects to work on but does not provide the most clear paths for advancement"

Current Employee - Project I Consultant in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Project I Consultant in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Great staff to work with - very helpful, knowledgeable, and friendly. Very u nique position that offers many interesting challenging projects to be apart of. Great senior staff to mentor younger engineers.

Cons

Does not provide very much guidance for advancing your career within the company. Promotions are not even among sections of the company.

Advice to Management

n/a