Baker Furniture Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Senior Technical Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Analyst in Hildebran, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Analyst in Hildebran, NC

I have been working at Baker Furniture full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits including insurance, 401K options, employee discounts
    Fellow employees
    Love my job

Cons

Dying market within the US

Advice to Management

More promoting from within

2. "customer service lead"

Former Employee - Customer Service Team Lead in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Team Lead in New York, NY

I worked at Baker Furniture full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are great, especially health and dental.

Cons

horrible and miserable work place. There is favoritism and lack of leadership. you can be treated unfairly if you dont do what you are told even if its against your moral views.

Advice to Management

a Person with warm blood running through their veins needs to be hired

"Sale Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Baker Furniture full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Beautifully made product. Talented co-workers. Great hours and holidays off.

Cons

1980's computer system. Very annoying to get things accomplished in a 2016 world. Also, endless reporting on projections of sales. Either is it is going to sale, or it is not.

Advice to Management

Update the infrastructure, this might help with your retaining top talent. People do not want to deal with such outdated systems to work with. Stop with the constant reporting and tracking, if you had a decent computer system, sales people would not have to track nearly as much as you want them to.

"A company with issues"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Baker Furniture full-time

Pros

The product is amazing, the visual team is talented, and the people sincerely want to do a great job. People are smart and talented. There is a long-term focus at Kohler, which is great.

Cons

There are many things wrong with the company. First, the Kohlers are always trying to decide whether to keep or shut down the business. Because of this, they are always involved in decisions that are being made. Decisions take a long time to make and multiple reviews with the Kohlers or senior management are needed to get alignment.

Little empowerment is given to employees and nobody can really be trusted.

Morale is very low due to a lack of empowerment.

Advice to Management

Empower more. Rebuild trust. Fewer meetings with corporate. The good people are leaving. Time to really dig in and see what is happening. The company needs to be turned around and this can't happen with the Kohler processes.

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Baker Furniture full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful furniture, but overpriced. Nice working hours 9-5 m-f , great benefits including pension and 401k. Great employee discounts. Good medical& Dental plans and company contributions to the bennifits.

Cons

In my 30 years working in sales, I've never worked for a company who's management is as poor as Baker Furniture. Upper management is an elitist group of individuals who have no idea how to run a company and communicate with the employees.
    The pay is terrible and very below industry standards and hasn't changed in decades. There is little or no room for advancement and the goals and expectations are unrealistic and the management knows this, but does nothing to change it. The company is in serious trouble, and the only reason it survives is because It's parent company Koeler has a lot of $$, but they don't use it to promote Baker. They do very little advertising and have rode through the years as they once were a profitable company and leader in the industry , but this hasn't been the case in years. The sales position is the worst, unless you've been there 20+ years and have good accounts, you will NOT make a decent living as a sales associate in this company. I was considered a top sales person , and I made a little over 45k a year!!! Furniture sales people in top producing showroom make more than this, but nobody coming in to a showroom position can expect to make more than this for years! The turnover in my showroom was crazy, and management doesn't do a thing about it .. They are top heavy in upper management, and it takes forever to get things done in this organization. My sales manager who has been with the company 10 + years complains about the company almost daily, and tells his sales team that the company is poor in providing their sales force with the tools they need to succeed. Back in the " hay day" before the recession, it was a good gig I guess, but not anymore, and it's by far the worst experience I've ever had in any job or company, and after a year of starving, and having management tell me I'm doing a great job, but the refuses to provide for me, I finally resigned and had wished I had done this months ago. They are dishonest with potential employees making them false promises, and they do this because they know the pay and expectations are way below industry standards, and they struggle to find good talent, because the good ones leave as soon as they realize how backwards and poorly run this company is. They have not been profitable in years, and the outlook is not promising. baker used to be the Hallmark of excellence in the industry, but now it's looked at as a joke by clients and industry insiders alike. Don't waste your talents working at this relic and poorly managed company! Take my advice and that of many others in the organization and run!

Advice to Management

When the director of showrooms asks my manager" why does he want to stay here if he only can make 45k, and there is not enough accounts to support his needs to make more money"? When people are demoted, hemmoraging sales people, and watch the departure of regional managers and the COMPANY PRESIDENT, it's time to ask yourselves what you're doing wrong, but they've been asking themselves that for the last seven years and nobody can figure it out, and the company continues losing money, while the competition is making profits and doing well??? There are serious problems in this organization! Start listening to your sales force, instead of thinking a few overpaid, under experienced individuals have all the answers, when you are clueless about what you are doing. Restructure, re-invent, keep good people and pay them what they are worth, update the showrooms, stick to projects and follow them through, and most importantly learn to communicate with your sales force and start listing to what they are telling you.

7. "Great opportunity and great products"

Former Employee - Product Development Engineer in Hildebran, NC
    Former Employee - Product Development Engineer in Hildebran, NC

Pros

Great first job in product development. You are the limiting factor in your growth. Lots of new product and it is all beautiful.

Cons

A degree helps you make more. They care about that a good bit, but you can still earn a very competitive salaries if you work hard and have good experience to start with.

8. "Managment"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Baker Furniture full-time

Pros

Nice atmosphere. Room for growth based upon the contribution to the company. Good benefits.

Cons

Managers should have more training available

Advice to Management

Have daily meeting. Must have strategies to execute the plan. Motivate the sales associates.

"potential but frustrating and lots of recurring problems, high management turnover"

Current Employee - Finisher in Hildebran, NC
    Current Employee - Finisher in Hildebran, NC

I have been working at Baker Furniture full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

peers, potential for quality, craftmanship

Cons

frustrating working around senior management, not much opportunity for advancement, jobs not clearly defined, pay not sufficient for diversity of work

Advice to Management

hard for managers to take hold, new ideas not always welcome

10. "Exquisite, Inspiring Objet D' Art"

I worked at Baker Furniture full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Baker Furniture creates beautifully conceived and masterfully crafted pieces of fine furniture. If you love fine furniture, the company is inspirational.

Cons

The power plays sometimes were won by the wrong players.

Advice to Management

You do a fantastic job. Listen to successful inspirational leaders as well as devoted staff.

11. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Baker Furniture (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful designs, brand Recognition and Training

Cons

A lot of political issues with Bullying and upper management taking sales and micro managing. Many complaints made and ignored. Commission not paid correctly. They aren't recognizing shifts in industry or economy.