Baker Hill Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"A.M.A.Z.I.N.G"

Current Employee - Desktop Support Engineer in Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Desktop Support Engineer in Carmel, IN

I have been working at Baker Hill full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Through Interview process to on boarding process was a breeze. In addition, the company is fairly small and the people here are extremely family oriented. People encourage one another to be better and the work environment is almost too good to be true. If I had to say one thing that I like most about this company is that your work shows transparently. The company recognizes you and rewards you for going above and beyond and if you are the type of person who wants to make a difference and impact your company in a positive way, COME JOIN US !

Cons

I havent seen anything thus far.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing us to be great and thank you for all the hard work and assistance!!!

Lets go Team!!!

"Wonderful Culture!"

I have been working at Baker Hill full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helpful, hard-working colleagues in an encouraging and supportive environment.

Cons

I am yet to find any.

"Keep the Momentum Going"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carmel, IN

I have been working at Baker Hill full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'm honestly constantly shocked at how smart and talented my colleagues are and it makes me feel good to be surrounded by that kind of energy. We have to move very quickly because there's a lot going on and there's more work to get done in a short period of time than every before. That said, I see my peers respond to challenges with new and inventive fixes and it really inspires me.

We have very aggressive development targets and I've heard more than once (from competitors and people who think they understand our industry) that we can't achieve what we've set out to do. I believe we can - now more than ever before. We've met our deadlines and hit our goals and we are more than halfway through the monster project we've taken on. There are a million more ideas about how to add value to our software and I am confident there is no other offering out there in the marketplace.

All of this makes me proud to work at Baker Hill. It's not perfect - no place is. It saddens me when the few negative nellie's try to bring everyone else down because I can see our leaders trying every day to keep things moving in the right direction. Most of our employees are committed to the company and to each other and I feel like an important part of the team here.

I'm personally excited about where things are going and I can't wait to show the outside world just how good we really are.

Cons

Salaries need to align better with what the rest of the market is paying although I think our benefits make up for some of that. Work life balance can be hard sometimes but I also think some of the extra hours we put in today are just because of where we are in development. It short term. There are a few people who really do have bad attitudes and sometimes that is hard to ignore. If they would either leave or re-set their attitude to be more positive that would go a long way towards making this a really great company to be at on the regular.

Advice to Management

Like others have said, just keep doing what you're doing. Keep focused on what needs to be done now. Reward employees who are making the real differences. Keep the new open door policy. It seems a lot easier to raise issues than it used to be. I feel like people are less hesitant to speak up. Keep talking to us as people and showing us that you care. That goes a long way. You probably don't hear it much, so I'll say it: thank you for what you're doing to help our company grow.

"Moving in right direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carmel, IN

I have been working at Baker Hill full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Since breaking away from Experian, Baker Hill is a much more exciting place to work. We're working with new technology and investing resources into a new product that will be a game changer! The changes in leadership have been a huge positive influence thus far. The people here are respectful, hard working and like to have fun.

Cons

The split from Experian was handled very poorly and left a bad stigma for many.
    The revenue projections have so far been unattainable which makes it difficult to fund bonuses.

"Outlook is Positive, still changes to make"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carmel, IN

I have been working at Baker Hill full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

New CEO is very positive and is visible, seems like he actually cares unlike previous one. Ability to work remote and flexibility when needed is a huge plus. The work that is being done on the product, could be a game changer in the market if done correct. Most employees see the vision and stay because they believe in the product. Company likes to promote from within if possible.

Cons

Employees with bad attitudes need to just leave, it brings down others. No bonuses in awhile and pay doesn't seem up to par with other companies/offers out there.

Advice to Management

Continue where you're headed, but put more effort into the product to make it what it should be before releasing it. Pay the employees who are putting in the most effort/time before they get burnt out and leave. Have managers put a plan in place for employees who have bad attitudes or aren't putting in 100%.

"Positive Changes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carmel, IN

I have been working at Baker Hill full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Boundless opportunities for personal and professional growth exist in this entrepreneurial organization. The high sense to urgency to perform is not for everyone. The new CEO has brought a much needed sense of energy, focus, purpose, personal accountability, and direction to the organization.

Cons

The work schedule is demanding, sometimes impacting work-life balance . There is a wide-spread need for departments to better communicate with one another especially within Operations.

Advice to Management

Learn from the past, listen to different ideas and perspectives, increase team involvement in decision making, and keep moving forward. The organization has changed for the better during the past five months. Accelerate the momentum and celebrate successes.

"Software development is a disaster"

I worked at Baker Hill full-time

Pros

Most of the Carmel based software engineers are decent guys, though software management is compromised by acceptance of irrational upper management demands

Cons

Company management clearly has no grasp of the core value of software development or that the company is, in fact, essentially a software development company.

It has set completely arbitrary deadlines, and it decided on the use of very low paid Indian programmers - low paid even by current Indian standards - to churn out a large volume of extremely buggy software, which requires the majority of the attention of the greatly superior local developers to waste time fixing. That isn't economy, it's stupidity.

There is essentially no documentation on either the old or the new code, and the expectation that new developers will rapidly operate at the same efficiency as people immersed in it for years, despite that massive handicap, is the biggest criticism of the current software management.

The desire to accommodate unreasonable management dictates on deadlines has led to a situation where even fairly simple issues are irrationally deemed too time consuming to address, such as using old and buggy versions of Visual Studio and associated tooling that cause crashes up to multiple times per hour, often losing work in progress and causing massive frustration.

Despite considerable experience in software development at many organizations, I can say that this is the absolute worst situation that I've encountered.

My personal advice is to do yourself a favor and work anywhere else.

Advice to Management

Understand that you're a software development company and that your fully irrational demands for arbitrary deadlines, combined with a lack of concern for software quality, which cannot be tested into existence, will lead to a shoddy product that will earn the company derision from your customers. This is fixable, but the primary fix is in your own failure of understanding and arrogance, so it would require a harsh look in the mirror and actual change in attitude and actions, fully informed by software developers who understand the requirements of great software. I definitely wouldn't bet on it, but there's enough nice people at the company to want a shred of hope that excellence, and the time and resources it takes to achieve it, would actually be understood and embraced after such introspection and change.

8. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Baker Hill full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New CEO in 2017 - he really cares and has made positive changes
    Engaged clients who believe in the solution
    Innovative - new product launched in 2017
    Good benefits
    Potential for promotions

Cons

Two years after an acquisition and understandably there has been a lot of change. We're currently facing aggressive goals and are all busy to help Baker Hill achieve them. All employees are friendly, but I don't honestly know people on other teams that well and I would like to.

Advice to Management

Keep evolving - I feel like we're going the right direction now after some changes earlier in 2017. Excited to see what 2018 holds!

"Stay Away"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carmel, IN

I have been working at Baker Hill full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A few talented good people left that you might have the opportunity to work with.

Cons

Everything that is said and done is to make it look like we delivered on managements unrealistic commitments to the board. We are forced to work over time. If it looks like we are going to miss a date management comes up with patches to the software and pushes the work down the road. The team is demotivated and morale is low.

Advice to Management

Stop posting fake reviews by marketing to make this look like a good place. We have had many good people leave and you are soon going to have a lot more walk.

"Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Baker Hill full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leaders that care / Associates that are committed / Clients that are engaged

I have been with the company since the acquisition. It has been a lot of work, but the opportunities to learn and advance into leadership make it all worthwhile.

The product launched in 2016 was nominated for Innovative product of the year. That will undoubtedly happen again in 2017.

Cons

The usual - more demand for products and services, but that beats the alternative! This is a work environment that requires dedication. If you're looking for a place to lay low or skate by, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - it's working. There is an energy in the office that associates and guests can feel. Keep communication lines open.