Baker Hughes Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Baker Hughes President and CEO Martin Craighead
Martin Craighead

1,906 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Good leadership; okay perks; good work life balance; good career progression; plenty of new project within the KL team (in 59 reviews)

• Good benefits steady work excellent wage (in 135 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is normally an issue in all the oilfield service companies (in 57 reviews)

• Oil and Gas service industry very tough and will be for some time ahead (in 41 reviews)

"Engineer III : Salary Grade 12 , 72K to 87K"

Current Employee - Engineer III in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer III in Houston, TX

Pros

the company seems very stable during a slow market, but that doesn't prevent the company from laying people off.

Cons

Getting promoted at Baker is a very unlikely process. You are likely to get promoted by leaving the company and returning at a later date. Also, this company is very stingy when it comes to reimbursing employees for expensives.

Advice to Management

Management need to minimize the amount of meeting which usually leads to no where, and stop talking about what is not going to work and put talk more on how it can work.

"Poor Management Skills"

Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Houston, TX

Pros

Great benfits, AWS, 401k, vacation

Cons

Management not trained in how to perform employee job duties, there moto was to delegate work load and refuse to have a hands on approach. Refuse to step in when employees were off sick or personal issues. No advancement for unless you were a Ass kisser. High performers were not rewarded, they rewarded all the non performers. No respect for there employees. Treated employees like children.
    Once the benchmark took place No high performer team members were offered jobs, but they keep the non performers.
    Management could never make a sound decision, if they told you something today, tomorrow the answer would be different

The outsourcing to Manila was a mistake why would you lay off thousand of US people and send our jobs overseas to save 20million when you know the ecomony was weak. Baker image has changed for the worst.

Advice to Management

Train management to treat everyone equal. HR does not work for the employees they work for management. Outsourcing should never be about the bottom line when you had employees with over 30+ years laid off. Tell the truth about the outsourcing and tell exactly how many people were effective because you decided to send US jobs overseas.

I thought the ideal was to keep US jobs in the US

"On its way to a first-class company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

International reach and world-wide prepresentation

Cons

technical infrastructure not up-to-speed; slowing down processes

Advice to Management

Communication while undergoing restructuring and merger is key

"A company on a downhill slide"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Smart people. Global reach. Cutting edge technology.

Cons

Too many folks who are used to working at a company that is not professionally managed. STRONG resistence to change. Too many reorganizations. Salaries are low for the industry.

Advice to Management

Senior Management seems to manage the company to secure their bonuses. Decisions are made high up with little knowledge or awareness of impact. Constant reorganizations without much communication is tiring. HR function is weak at best. Lack of financial controls and systems means too much manual work. All the cost cutting that is going on now they have no way to measure because of poor financial systems.

"Company in Crisis"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee - Baker Hughes Drilling Fluids - Operations in Houston, TX

Pros

Overall the company has a top tier product portfolio, salaries lag slightly behind industry average but is compensated for with above average benefits. Also used to be a friendly and satisfying place to work.

Cons

The workforce lacks confidence in the company's executive team, although the board seems willing to stand by them (Schlumberger 88%, Halliburton 73%, Baker Hughes 50%). Executive team has been late to make acquisitions and lacked direction brand identity and product line strategy. Executive team is nervous of industry analysts and is notorious for mishandling earnings conference calls, often taking a defensive, reactive approach instead of telling the market specifically what it intends in terms of strategic direction. Since May 2009 the company has become obsessed with re-organization, moving from a focused (but not fully efficient) division structure, towards a more efficient geomarket structure. The danger of losing product line focus has become a reality, with certain lines losing significant share due to an imbalance and lack of representation in geomarket management. Through 2009 and 2010 the company essentially botched the acquisition of BJ Services, falling foul of the Department of Justice and being forced to divest much of the value of the acquisition. Meanwhile, major competitor Schlumberger had no such problem in its acquisition of Smith Industries despite obvious comparisons in the transaction. The company in notorious for being first to market with niche products, and slow to follow the mass appeal of the market. The company is also cumbersome and slow to react to clients in terms of manufacturing and production. Age demographics of its workforce is a major problem, with over half the work population within 10 years of retirement age. A culture of chronyism is very evident in its reoganizations, and turnover in younger personnel is high due to the blockade of mid to senior management. The company overcommunicates organizational announcements and frivolous achievements, further alienating an already demoralized workforce. Consultant firms consider the company extremely top-heavy, after a long precedent of workforce reduction from the bottom up.

Advice to Management

Be fast followers with technology introduction, learn from the mistakes of pioneers and tweak portfolio for mass appeal. Learn to manage earnings conference calls proactively and assertively with regard to strategic direction of the company. Workforce is ailing and morale is very poor. If reductions are required, start with the glut of Directors and Senior Managers - there are too many high dollar layers between the executive team and the client interface.

"Terrible Company to Work For"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Claremore, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Claremore, OK

Pros

Its a safe place to live and thats important because you will be living there.

Cons

Employees are forced to work overtime non-stop without any concern for employees homelife. People who kiss ass, but are not qualifed get job promotions into engineering type positions. Employees have to reach a certain level of perfection to get a small raise that is only up for review once a year. This is the worst, most miserable company I have ever worked for. Unions were created because of companies like this. Since leaving there I've had tons of text messages from coworkers wanting me to help them find jobs so they can leave.

Advice to Management

Start treating people right or you won't have any experienced people left.

"Cut throat."

Former Employee - Administrative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative in Houston, TX

Pros

Location. Location. Location. Different cultures.

Cons

Constant change. Good ol' boy network.

Advice to Management

Do what is right. I don't know how some mgrs can sleep at night.

"“It is not the company it use to be.”"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

I've always believed that the people and products are the companies most valuable assets.

Cons

Does not recognize or reward hard work.
    And are losing allot of its top talent to competitors and customers because of this.

Advice to Management

You reap what you sow.

"Reorganization is destroying BHI"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Houston, TX

Pros

Great coworkers, Good pay\Benefits, Interesting Work

Cons

This WAS a great place to work 2-3 years ago. The "OneBakerHughes" reorganization has changed that. The new and "improved" company structure is an absolute mess with management changes still occurring nearly weekly. In addition to that, there endless new VP's\Directors being hired on while at the same time we are told we cannot hire engineers to backfill positions where people were actually doing the work.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and just consider that maybe BHI is headed down the wrong path.

"Trending downward....................."

Former Employee - Mechanical Manufacturing Equipment Master I in Claremore, OK
    Former Employee - Mechanical Manufacturing Equipment Master I in Claremore, OK

Pros

This job supported my family for 13 years, and I did take advantage of educational reimbursement to obtain a degree. I was also able to gain many new skills which I am now putting to use for a new employer who appreciates my quality of work and work ethic.

Cons

For a greater part of my 13 years with Baker Hughes, I was able to grow tremendously, including obtaining a degree, as well as many skills. Although I showed great initiative, ingenuity, and dedication, as well as receiving top marks in all my evaluations, I found myself virtually in the same spot at the end of my career with Baker as in the beginning. I was denied the few opportunities to advance that presented themselves, and was even told by my supervisor and my HR representative that I was stuck in a dead-end career with Baker. I did, however, watch other individuals who refused to complete previously agreed upon educational requirements for obtaining higher positions advance repeatedly. At Baker Hughes, it's not what you know BUT.................

Advice to Management

Senior management is too busy giving eachother new titles and playing the "reorganization" game to worry about the day-to-day problems that are costing them talent where the money is ACTUALLY BEING MADE. Lower tier managers are too busy patting each other on the back or screwing eachother over to worry about who is ACTUALLY doing the work that PAYS THEM. All-in-all, any advice would be wasted on the deaf ears of these small-minded jackwagons! Thanks for the education and the great opportunities it has opened up for me AT MY NEW EMPLOYMENT :P

Showing 1,906 of 2,005 reviews