Baker Tilly Virchow Krause Reviews in Madison, WI | Glassdoor

Madison, WI

3.4
Alan Whitman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • work life balance, training opportunities (in 36 reviews)

• Great people, awesome culture to work in (in 24 reviews)

Cons

1. "Terrific Place To Work"

Current Employee - Staff Auditor in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Staff Auditor in Madison, WI

I have been working at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-wokers, investment into developing people, and a friendly culture all make Baker Tilly a great fit for me personally.

Cons

The one thing that really gets me is that I'm stuck using a computer monitor from what feels like 2005. Believe I'm paid a little less than other staff accountants at larger firms but I'd maintain that's because I have less put on me.

Advice to Management

Tough to give advice to management outside of my specific group but I notice a lot of staff that really over achieve seem frustrated by the lack of compensation relative to those that don't. I know in the end that the over achieving staff will have more opportunities which has value but it seems like compensation and performance could be more highly correlated. That's a tough thing to get right and I think at a staff level they do a pretty good job but it's one of the complaints I hear most.

"Best place ever!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The leaders truly "walk the talk." They do what they say and so much more.

Cons

Very fast paced. It's an organization of high performers and high expectations. Not for those who want to coast.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

"Senior Accountant - Madison WI"

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Madison, WI

I have been working at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, truly enjoy working with my co-workers. Great experience for anyone coming out of college looking to work and gain valuable experience.

Cons

- Pay is too low for the hours worked which causes turnover to be high. Numerous individuals are leaving the firm "early" as a result of the ability to go to a private company and work less hours for, often times, comparable or more money. Only managers and up receive bonuses (for accountants) as well as some internal firm staff (firm sales, HR, marketing, etc.), but not the accountants who work the busiest hours for what equates to roughly $20-$25 an hour. Proper compensation would be a large driver in employee retention as I know our team, as well as others are extremely understaffed which has been lowering overall team moral and forcing others to look for new jobs.

Advice to Management

Increase / work on the employee pay structure. When accountants working 65-70 hours a week are only making, what equates to $20-$25 an hour on their yearly salary, it is highly discouraging. Would also recommend the implementation of performance based bonuses or incentives. This would boost employee morale and drastically reduce turnover allowing for adequate staffing of the best, team oriented employees.

"Imbalanced workloads even on the same team"

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Madison, WI

I have been working at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Summers are generally relaxed and balance out the rigors of a long busy season.
    High achievers are generally recognized for their actions.
    Generally good benefits are competitive for non-Big-4 firms.

Cons

Long busy season (can run through April or May) even if working primarily on audits.
    Micro-management is a real problem for some managers as they refuse to move on from previous responsibilities.
    Pressure to hit budgets but not to exceed project budgets is ridiculous as finding a balance becomes nearly impossible.
    High achievers are frequently bogged down with work and expected to take on more and more even when it's not realistic.
    Pay is below-average but also better than a lot of other large, non-Big-4 accounting firms.

Advice to Management

Invest in high achievers and foster their growth rather than driving them away. Continue with a strong benefits package but try to be more aware of the amount of micro-management that is accepted at the Manager and Senior Manager level.

5. "Financial Analyst"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Madison, WI

I have been working at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive Pay, Great Health Care, Vision, Dental, PTO is top notch

Cons

401k is slightly less than some other similar firms

Advice to Management

There is none at this time. Very satisfied with management

"Work / Life Balance"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Madison, WI

Pros

People, Travel, Benefits, Age group of employees

Cons

Salary, Hours, Management, Training, Stress

Advice to Management

Better training, more work / life balance

7. "Energy and Utility Auditor"

Current Intern - Energy and Utility Audit in Madison, WI
    Current Intern - Energy and Utility Audit in Madison, WI

I have been working at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Travel is awesome, opportunities to connect with clients as an intern, expenses paid for on overnight trips, great team to work with and learn from, various opportunities for growth as an auditor.

Cons

You are away from home a lot, that's not for everyone at least. Your experience can vary with who you are working with. Communications get lost on important intern information because of busy season craziness sometimes.

"Staff"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the staffs and managers are extremely friendly. They are not only a group of joyous people, but they also genuinely want to be friend with you. Campus recruiter did a great job picking out these individuals with such great personalities and put them to work together.

Cons

The HR people, and sometimes the higher managements, can be heartless. They will try to squeeze every last bit of life out of you before you walk out the door. The HR managers are so confrontational and unaccommodating that they treat you with minimal respect regardless of how much money you've made for the company and how hard you worked toward the firm's success. The worst part is that the higher management would turn a blind eye and side with the HR managers to work against you, even though you worked and sweated to complete their projects. I am not sure how they expect to attract and retain talents when they treat their staffs, who normally have the most billable hours, with such disparaging treatments. The firm's short term view on HR policies will unquestionably prevent them from being successful. They truly made me feel unappreciated and disheartened. My advice to you is to look else where if you have a choice.

Advice to Management

Talent is all you have. The way you treat your talents determines whether you will get and retain talents. With the current HR policy in place, you are doomed to fail.

9. "Led to a hire. Was a temp in their staffing division and it led to two job offers and hire."

Former Contractor - Consultant in Madison, WI
    Former Contractor - Consultant in Madison, WI

I worked at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Gave me good experience across a variety of disciplines and industries. Really great people and process.

Cons

They were doing their job, but the checkins and paperwork got old. Not a complaint about the company, just got old.

Advice to Management

Look to your own staffing arm to fill internal positions.

10. "Flexible but Busy"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Madison, WI

I have been working at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause (More than a year)

Pros

- Can be a very flexible work environment with great people.

Cons

- You can also be rewarded as a "high achiever" with an unreasonable amount of work.

Advice to Management

Spread the work more evenly and change the performance review process.