Baker Tilly Virchow Krause Reviews in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN | Glassdoor

Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN Area

4.4
Alan Whitman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work life balance and great/smart people to work with (in 35 reviews)

• Great people, awesome culture to work in (in 23 reviews)

Cons

1. "Great firm to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

The firm is large enough that it can handle multi national companies that would expose its employees to a variety of work and experiences. You'll continuously learn new things. Compensation wasn't bad either. Excellent firm to work for.

Cons

As with any public accounting firm, busy season is always a negative. However, they are flexible enough so you don't have to put your life on hold during this time.

2. "Senior Accountant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to explore different interest

Cons

Worklife balance could be improved, but within expectations for industry

Advice to Management

Focus on high performing employees

3. "Wonderful experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Competitive pay, large amount of responsibility, great exposure, fantastic people.

Cons

Tougher to attain full-time position after internship than most companies

4. "Staff auditor - love my job"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time (More than a year)

Pros

NOTE: everything below is from an assurance perspective, since that is the service line that I work in.

Flexibility: Once you have worked here for a few months or so and proven that you are a valuable and trustworthy employee, I have found that everyone is very accommodating of other people's needs. If I need to work from home for any given day, as long as I wasn't scheduled to be at a client, I can usually go ahead and do it. I have experienced a very strong attitude of "we don't care or when you do your work, as long as it gets done in a reasonable time period".

Work/life balance: Compared to some horror stories that I have heard about life in the Big 4 accounting firms, my busy seasons have been a breeze. Yes, we have to work 60+ hour weeks, but I always feel like I'm surrounded with the right people and resources to help make my workload not seem so bad. I am also paired up with a "time manager" who I can reach out to at any time when I feel like I have too little or too much work, and the firm will work with me to reach a good balance.

Personal growth: I have found this to be a great place to work as someone who is interested in constantly developing my own knowledge and skills. If you speak up and let your supervisors know that you want more challenging work, they will give it to you (and be impressed that you asked). I have also received a massive amount of timely and helpful feedback on my work to help me improve and learn.

Firm growth: The company has made major recent mergers/acquisitions and continues to explore similar options for expanding our territory and client base. Even though our coverage is mostly in the Midwest and Northeast U.S. right now, I expect that one day BT will grow to be a truly national firm, which makes me excited to work here.

Cons

Pay: Since employees are salaried and don't receive overtime pay, I occasionally feel a little undercompensated, especially during busy season. However, this is the nature of the industry, not a specific problem with this firm.

Training: Official firm-sponsored trainings can feel a little disjointed and unhelpful at times. BT's learning and development program is in a constant state of evolution, and "standard practices" seem like they can vary widely across different offices and industry groups. There can also be wide discrepancies between how different managers and partners like to do things (even though they are all acceptable methods), so the first several months were very challenging since I sometimes received contradicting information depending on who I asked my questions to.

Advice to Management

Develop more firm standard practices and make sure they are disseminated clearly to the entire firm, to eliminate gray areas in how we should perform our work. Good work overall!

5. "Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Great opportunities if you are open to learning and work hard. Senior management has time for the staff and seniors and values their input.

Cons

Pay isn't as high as it should be. As they grow senior management needs to adjust compensation practice to be in line with their competition to retain top performing staff.

Advice to Management

As you continue to grow and take on new service lines, ensure you take time to evaluate your staff needs and ensure you value them properly.

"Good work-life balance out-side of busy season. Friendly and knowledge co-workers."

Current Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Atmosphere. Strive for work-life-balance

Cons

Great as long as you are a CPA.

"Great experience!"

Current Employee - Assurance Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Assurance Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company and co-workers!
    Freedom and responsibility
    Great experience

Cons

Low pay for a large public accounting firm

8. "Senior Accountant"

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people & culture. April 15th parties are awesome!

Cons

Industry "specializations" aren't always a reality for staff/senior auditors.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

9. "Baker Tilly or BTVK is a great company to work for."

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are really flexible time wise, as long as all the work is done. Management is friendly, fun, and inspiring. There is a learning and team atmosphere. BTVK or Baker Tilly is the best company I have ever worked for.

Cons

Baker Tilly is located downtown Minneapolis and parking is not paid for at my position level. The office interior could be a little bit more open. I would also like a microwave on my floor.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

10. "It has been a great experience, with exposure to interesting clients"

I have been working at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Worklife balance is very true for consulting
    - Independent work environment
    - Competitive pay

Cons

- Overly optimistic executives
    - Weak client base