Baker Tilly Virchow Krause Reviews

Updated Jun 4, 2020

3.6
Baker Tilly Virchow Krause Chairman and CEO Alan Whitman (no image)
Alan Whitman
Pros
  • "Great work/life balance, welcoming staff that make BT a fun place to work, room for growth within company(in 44 reviews)

• "Great learning experience, great people(in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • "Have long hours sometimes, but during the down time it isnt bad(in 45 reviews)

• "If you are not a fan of busy season you probably should not be in public accounting(in 40 reviews)

1. "Amazing Team"

5.0
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time for less than a year

Pros

This search and staffing subsidiary of the public accounting firm has been in business over 20 years. We have a small but mighty team and the culture is fantastic. I've worked with previous staffing agencies where I've dealt with quite toxic, unprofessional environments, but that couldn't be further from the culture here.

Cons

We are smaller than some other agencies, but we work hard and have great leadership.

Baker Tilly Virchow Krause2020-04-15
  2. "Great people and strong leadership positioning the company for long term growth and success"

Current Employee - Staff Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stable job, growing company, excellent people

Cons

the rigidity that comes with working for a 4k+ person accounting firm

Baker Tilly Virchow Krause2020-05-27
  3. "Good company to start your career"

Current Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Madison, WI

I have been working at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits including extensive maternitiy, 401(k), dental, health, PTO ("unlimited")

Cons

Lots of travel, constant changes, lack of emphasis on proper training of new staff

Baker Tilly Virchow Krause2020-06-04
  4. "Company has grown in numbers but still a lot of work to improve image and culture"

2.0
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Other than client travel, pretty decent work-life balance - Broadly speaking, lots of flexibility from project work to WFH (even pre-covid) - Easy-going employees (very Midwest vibe all around)

Cons

- Firm decisions seem to be overly controlled by Madison, WI and Southfield, MI offices despite Chicago HQ - Lack of transparency from senior leadership on financial standing and what overarching strategy is - Unclear organizational structure - Very bare-bones Diversity and Inclusion/Employee resource groups for a firm of its size (Sorry, but a book club doesn't count and neither does a once-a-year cultural potluck with food brought in from Wow Bao)

Baker Tilly Virchow Krause2020-05-23

"Good Place to work"

Former Employee - Staff Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay, flexible work from home ability, good people

Cons

Upper management has been less than truthful during the pandemic

Baker Tilly Virchow Krause2020-04-29
  6. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of nice and complete benefits

Cons

Sometimes too much by way of changes

Baker Tilly Virchow Krause2020-04-24
  7. "Not good for work life balance"

Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits at group pricing.

Cons

IT support not always quick for remote based employees. Division leader more interested in generating revenue than work life balance for staff.

Baker Tilly Virchow Krause2020-04-29
  8. "Horrendous Experience"

1.0
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Made a few lasting relationships - CPA materials paid for and $5K bonus after passing

Cons

- The culture is atrocious - Work/life balance is genuinely frowned upon by team members - Office conversation is quite literally nothing but gossip and bad-mouthing - You can only be considered to be "bought in" to the BT Public Sector if you are willingly sacrificing majority of your free time to be working - Such an unhealthy environment that nearly every employee prioritizes work over both physical and mental health, and it is very apparent - The scheduling is a joke. They claim to take your place of living into consideration when putting you on clients, but there could an be audit going on next door to your home and they will send you to a client that's a four hour round trip away. This happens regularly and no matter how many times people complain, nothing changes - There is a great deal of complaining that goes on, but no one ever does anything to change it - No flexibility whatsoever. You're expected to post your PTO ~8 months in advance. If something comes up and you want/need to take a day off on short notice, you can't just do that. You'll have to find time to make up the time you were scheduled for that day (ex. I was planning a trip, but had to wait on certain information to come out before booking it. Gave the team FIVE MONTHS advance notice for the PTO I'd use for the trip, and the first response was, "How are you going to make up that work?".) - If you decide to take a job elsewhere, you are treated like you're a complete traitor and coworkers are very cold to you even when trying to work collaboratively on audits

Baker Tilly Virchow Krause2020-05-20
  9. "Baker Tilly Culture"

I have been working at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time

Pros

Baker Tilly has a great corporate culture with individuals that are willing to help every step of the way.

Cons

The consulting industry comes with long hours and very fast paced work.

Baker Tilly Virchow Krause2020-04-14

"Poor communication"

I worked at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause

Pros

Very flexible, Good PTO plan

Cons

Poor communication. No warnings of issues that caused a separation from the firm. I was blindsided and had no idea that I was in a position of being let go. I feel like they just had no care for me whatsoever.

Baker Tilly Virchow Krause2020-04-17