Baker Tilly Virchow Krause Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Alan Whitman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • work life balance, training opportunities (in 36 reviews)

• Great people, awesome culture to work in (in 24 reviews)

Cons

1. "An Awesome Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A great team environment, the managers really care about growth and development. Everyone takes pride in the work they are doing.

Cons

More clear direction on training.

2. "Engaging work environment with caring Leaders"

I have been working at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You instantly feel accepted as a valued team member at Baker Tilly. No matter what your position, your voice will be heard and considered. The people are what make Baker Tilly special and that is recognized all of the way up to the CEO!

Cons

No cons at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep listening as you have been and continue to push forward with making the workplace more flexible and less location specific.

3. "Base Pay for Entry Level"

I have been working at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time

Pros

The people are great in the office

Cons

Public accounting turnover is not the best but it is expected

4. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time

Pros

work life balance, training opportunities

Cons

accounting industry can be exhausting

5. "Terrific Place To Work"

Current Employee - Staff Auditor in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Staff Auditor in Madison, WI

I have been working at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-wokers, investment into developing people, and a friendly culture all make Baker Tilly a great fit for me personally.

Cons

The one thing that really gets me is that I'm stuck using a computer monitor from what feels like 2005. Believe I'm paid a little less than other staff accountants at larger firms but I'd maintain that's because I have less put on me.

Advice to Management

Tough to give advice to management outside of my specific group but I notice a lot of staff that really over achieve seem frustrated by the lack of compensation relative to those that don't. I know in the end that the over achieving staff will have more opportunities which has value but it seems like compensation and performance could be more highly correlated. That's a tough thing to get right and I think at a staff level they do a pretty good job but it's one of the complaints I hear most.

6. "Growing company that truly values their employees"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are what really drew me to Baker Tilly but the flexible work arrangements, competitive pay, focus on work/life balance and robust training programs, lots of one-on-one interactions with managers & partners is what has kept me here.

Cons

Company communication as a whole could be stronger, sometimes you feel a little left in the dark or that there are a lot of things kept hush hush from employees.

Advice to Management

Benefits such as alternative work arrangements, dress for your day, ect should be supported by all areas of the business (top down) and employees should feel comfortable taking advantage of these perks.

7. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture overall. Work/Life balance is very real here. Very flexible in terms of schedule and dress code.

Cons

Some favoritism in how work gets allocated among staff.

Advice to Management

Stop the favoritism when it comes to allocating work between staff.

8. "Fantastic place to work"

I have been working at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time

Pros

Great place to work again

Cons

There are no cons here

"Potential to be an OK place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of nice people. Hours are pretty standard for public accounting. Not the worst place to work.

Cons

The office still has a small Long Island family firm mindset. The business unit is losing money because many of the partners only have bad business that should be fired as clients. You are holding all of your employees to higher standards and making them do a higher quality of work (understandable) and yet the partners still cannot get a higher quality client. I don't know how many times I have heard some variation of "We are a bigger firm now we cannot do things like that anymore" directed at a staff or senior, yet the partners seem to be conducting business in the same exact way they have in the past. This most recent merger, HRR to BT, then picking up PB has been one long growing pain, except there has been no growth, and it all went down how many years ago now? And there is still miscommunication between the separate factions and a gap in certain methodologies. They trimmed some of that fat at the top, but it hasn't worked out as well as they hoped it would have.

Advice to Management

First and foremost, fix the cracked toilet seat and non working stall door in the men's room. It's embarrassing that they have both been broken for years. Then after you fix that, figure out how to attract and obtain a higher quality client. Develop a culture, because there currently isn't one.

It seems everyone at BT is aware of the old adage that crap rolls downhill, however many seem to be blind to the fact that many of the largest issues this office faces stem from the top.

10. "Staff Auditor"

Current Employee - Audit Staff in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Audit Staff in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great benefits
    - Work with smart people
    - Growing firm

Cons

- Pay was not up to market value