Baker Tilly Virchow Krause Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Alan Whitman
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • work life balance, training opportunities (in 36 reviews)

• Great people, awesome culture to work in (in 24 reviews)

Cons

"Potential to be an OK place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of nice people. Hours are pretty standard for public accounting. Not the worst place to work.

Cons

The office still has a small Long Island family firm mindset. The business unit is losing money because many of the partners only have bad business that should be fired as clients. You are holding all of your employees to higher standards and making them do a higher quality of work (understandable) and yet the partners still cannot get a higher quality client. I don't know how many times I have heard some variation of "We are a bigger firm now we cannot do things like that anymore" directed at a staff or senior, yet the partners seem to be conducting business in the same exact way they have in the past. This most recent merger, HRR to BT, then picking up PB has been one long growing pain, except there has been no growth, and it all went down how many years ago now? And there is still miscommunication between the separate factions and a gap in certain methodologies. They trimmed some of that fat at the top, but it hasn't worked out as well as they hoped it would have.

Advice to Management

First and foremost, fix the cracked toilet seat and non working stall door in the men's room. It's embarrassing that they have both been broken for years. Then after you fix that, figure out how to attract and obtain a higher quality client. Develop a culture, because there currently isn't one.

It seems everyone at BT is aware of the old adage that crap rolls downhill, however many seem to be blind to the fact that many of the largest issues this office faces stem from the top.

2. "Senior consultant"

I worked at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time

Pros

- Very flexible hours
    - Very flexible hours

Cons

- Un-diversified
    - Hard to be promoted and join the senior management

"Senior Accountant - Madison WI"

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Madison, WI

I have been working at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, truly enjoy working with my co-workers. Great experience for anyone coming out of college looking to work and gain valuable experience.

Cons

- Pay is too low for the hours worked which causes turnover to be high. Numerous individuals are leaving the firm "early" as a result of the ability to go to a private company and work less hours for, often times, comparable or more money. Only managers and up receive bonuses (for accountants) as well as some internal firm staff (firm sales, HR, marketing, etc.), but not the accountants who work the busiest hours for what equates to roughly $20-$25 an hour. Proper compensation would be a large driver in employee retention as I know our team, as well as others are extremely understaffed which has been lowering overall team moral and forcing others to look for new jobs.

Advice to Management

Increase / work on the employee pay structure. When accountants working 65-70 hours a week are only making, what equates to $20-$25 an hour on their yearly salary, it is highly discouraging. Would also recommend the implementation of performance based bonuses or incentives. This would boost employee morale and drastically reduce turnover allowing for adequate staffing of the best, team oriented employees.

"Adminstraive"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scranton, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scranton, PA

I have been working at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the people, except upper management, great work area, Jean Friday.

Cons

Upper management unapproachable, old computer systems, poor salary.

Advice to Management

I am 100 over poverty level, if I made 100 less I could get food stamps. I have over 10 years experience and don't make more than 27,000 a year. If pay was better you would get better reviews.

"Leadership needs an overhaul"

I worked at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of good people that work there.

Cons

Lack of a true company culture. Depending where you are it's different.

HR department is not run properly and the head of HR seems to lack the skills necessary to partner with the business as a whole. HR staff in areas lacks the ability to assist employees.

There seems to still be a divide between various offices / regions and business units and not functioning like one firm

Advice to Management

There should be a review and potential overhaul of individuals that have been in upper management positions long and see if they are still the right fit as the firm is growing.

Baker Tilly Virchow Krause Response

Dec 12, 2016 – Baker Tilly

Thank you for providing your thoughts. We work continually to enhance our culture and life at Baker Tilly. That does mean ensuring our HR team is the best possible partner to our firm and its needs.

"Very Poor Management in Tax and Assurance"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Washington, DC

I worked at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people at the firm are top-notch. A lot of friendly, easy-going people. The benefits are good and the salary is competitive with the market. Promotion is fairly common. You'll have the opportunity to rise through the ranks, just as you would at any public accounting firm.

Cons

I personally work in tax and assurance so this is based solely on my experience in this field.

The management is awful and most do not care about their employees. They don't split work up between employees well at all. You will have certain staff working 55+ hour weeks year-round while others have free time or are allowed to work less than 40 hours a week. Often times, the employees working longer hours are not rewarded for their efforts, either.

The seniors and management also do a very poor job of communicating with each other. They all expect their assignments to be done with priority over other work, all while refusing to discuss the staff's schedules with each other to work out a feasible plan. This leads to longer hours, more stress, and more fatigue on the staff, which will lead to more mistakes. If management was more effective at communicating with other teams about splitting up work and scheduling, the environment would be much better. Doing so would also justify them paying most staff the same salaries. Most staff are paid the same, with $1,000 variances up and down for a few people, but, again, this is ridiculous considering you have people working up to 15+ more hours per week than their peers that are getting paid the same.

These hours are also just going to get worse. Management only cares about revenues, just like any other firm. Baker Tilly is focusing on growth in revenues and adding more clients, all while seeing the number of employees stay the same. This will lead to longer hours, and from what I've seen, these hours are being allocated to the few employees that are already working exorbitant amounts.

Work-life balance is also non-existent for many people. You will see long hours around deadlines at any public firm, but the poor job of spreading work evenly has led to many people having far less time outside of work than their peers. You will have staff that are working on an approved 9-4 schedule while others are forced to work longer hours like I mentioned above. This, again, comes back down to poor management.

Advice to Management

Spread work around more evenly. This way, all of your staff will be more equally experienced and you won't burn out the employees on which you are loading up work. Second, you need to improve communication efforts across teams and between managers. Actually discuss schedules of your staff to come up with a plan on when projects can be done so you all aren't asking for them all at the same time. Finally, actually think about the people preparing your work and treat them equally. As I said before, do not pile up work on the same people while allowing others to work less than 40 hours a week.

"Hit and Miss"

I have been working at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time

Pros

PTO and generally relaxed atmosphere

Cons

Beware of other "team" members driving you out of the company to promote themselves.

"Not the best"

I worked at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Met some nice people who were fun, courteous and professional. There were good educational opportunities. I got some good help with passing the CPA exam.

Cons

Met some awful people who were not nice and not helpful at all. Long hours and low pay for job. Inadequate training. Poor communication.

Advice to Management

Provide more training and help to new employees. Be more open to questions. Work harder to get employees more enthused. Serve as mentors.

"Work / Life Balance"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Madison, WI

Pros

People, Travel, Benefits, Age group of employees

Cons

Salary, Hours, Management, Training, Stress

Advice to Management

Better training, more work / life balance

"Public Accounting"

I have been working at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time

Pros

Good work/life balance in the summer, smaller teams and more diversity with the projects you work on, able to work on financial statement audits and employee benefit audits, work on different clients every week instead of just one for long periods of time, 4 weeks of vacation

Cons

Horrible work/life balance during busy season (but that is any public accounting firm), management does not give needed direction, misogynistic coworkers, unattainable expectations, don't feel included in team activities, disconnect between management and seniors/staff.