Baker & Taylor Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Baker & Taylor President and CEO George Coe
George Coe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great company to work and great people (in 7 reviews)

• Early work hours make it easy to balance work and home life (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • High retention means little room for advancement (in 6 reviews)

• No room for advancement, no raises, if you are not apart of an existing clique you won't fit in there (in 7 reviews)

1. "Slave Labor"

Pros

Full Time work with plenty of overtime

Cons

Everything, slave labor for low pay impossible to meet incentive extreme weather exposure.

Advice to Management

Pay more or leave that "Now hiring" banner floating out front year round.

"It Works for What it is"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Baker & Taylor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

somewhat flexible schedule. laid back enviornment

Cons

no opportunity for growth. hit the ceiling coming in the door. no clear direction or feedback from management.

Advice to Management

Take the time to listen to employees. Provide constant feedback that way your decisions as management does not come off as a surprise.

"Sales"

Pros

-There is a paycheck.
    -I can pay my rent.

Cons

-Management takes longer vacations every holiday - both big and small, and I haven't been permitted to take extra pto to see family at Thanksgiving OR Christmas for the last few years.
    -Seniority is everything and you mean nothing. Morale is very, very low everywhere.
    -Management is unhappy sales are down, so they'll make you write endless reports instead of giving you time and tools go sell. It's your fault and only your fault.
    -We have three different ordering websites...which is very embarrassing. It's not like Amazon has Amazon 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0.
    -Corporate restructuring left many departments in shambles. Customers complain everyday about other people not returning their voicemail, which makes you do double work to make customer happy, which makes you lose sales. Time is money.
    -That said, management has absolutely no idea how to train AND retain employees. It's been a rotating door for many departments for the last two years, which makes customers not trust new people thrown into environments not properly trained, which means lowered sales. It's all connected but you can't tell management that.

Advice to Management

-Properly train your employees. Don't put them on the phones until they understand the systems and workflow and how to interact with customers.
    -Learn how to retain your employees. Seniority isn't everything. Your company survives only if the people do.
    -Take turns during important family holidays to let people see their loved ones. If you don't, prepare for a negative work environment.
    -Say thank you once in awhile. And don't shame your employees publicly when they don't make your made up quota before official quotas are set. It all goes back to morale.

There's a difference between leaders and bosses. B&T is full of bosses, but leadership is non-existant. Professional development would be beneficial.

"Terrible Work Environment"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Baker & Taylor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The highlight of the day is getting off. The members of my team are a good bunch to work with overall.

Cons

The only requirement in management is that you are able to read a number on a report. Employee morale is non existent and being micromanaged is taken to entirely new level. If you are looking for any type of support from management, please go elsewhere. I have never worked for a company where you are unable to ask a question and get a knowledgeable answer. Instead that fact that they have no clue is masked by an ongoing exchange of emails between upper management about how you had the gall to ask a question to help perform your job duties. Also, there appears to be a guideline at this company that says once you obtain a position in management that you are able to speak to people in any manner imaginable. I've never seen so many uncouth people in one company. If you have an interview for this company and you currently have a job, please DO NOT leave your current job. It can't be as bad as this.

Advice to Management

Please realize that the success of your company falls on the shoulders of your employees. I have watched you turn a group of people that want to provide great service to drones who don't go the extra mile because of the backlash they receive for trying. There is no employee appreciation. I can also guarantee that more time will be spent trying to determine who wrote this then doing anything to improve the situation. You will never keep good people because they will move onto companies that care about their employees and who actually provide them with the tools to succeed. Someone will appreciate the same people that you devalue daily.

5. "not the best"

Former Employee - Stower in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Stower in Reno, NV

I worked at Baker & Taylor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

LOTS of overtime if thats what you like.

Cons

Get told no whenever you ask for a day off. Play favorites.

Advice to Management

commend your employees more.

"They don't care."

Former Employee - Software Developer in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Pay a little below market. Work life balance was ok most of the time. That is all for the pros. This is the worst company I've worked for so far. I've worked at 4 different companies and I've always stayed at the company for at least 3 years except for this one. I left Baker & Taylor in a year.

Cons

The manager for the team that I was on was terrible. No people skills and no management skills. Half of the development team left in a 4 month span. Upper management does not want to fix the problem even though they know what the problem is. This is the second time that more than half the team has left under this manager. Many people have complained him to the executives, but zero action was taken. So the only thing that employees could do was to leave. The remaining developers cannot leave because they are on a work visa, otherwise they would have left a long time ago.

Benefits are pretty bad for such a large company. Morale is low. The office decor is very depressing.

Advice to Management

The difference between a good company and a bad company is that a good company fixes its problems. Upper management needs to take corrective action when there are issues in the organization.

"Low base pay and overpaid, incompetent upper management."

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Baker & Taylor as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Birthdays are celebrated, initially everyone wants you to think you are a valued team member.

Cons

People pretend to be nice under the veil of seeing if they can get any leverage on you right from the start because they are corporate bakckstabbers, there is lots of nepotism going on via earlier established friendships meaning you can't trust anyone, especially most of the upper management, & performance "reviews" will consistently peg you as someone undeserving of a raise despite high performance and the fact that you are being paid below a base salary for your particular job in your particular area.

Remember the part about birthday celebrations? Well 99% of the employees go to the "celebration" strictly for the food and don't really cares about you or your birthday. Most people here don't want to know you or care to know you because morale is low and they feel trapped but mostly it's because there are already existing groups you will never become a part of or invited to. All if not most lower tier coworkers are scared of losing their job and most people do the bare minimum to stay hired leaving their inadequacies exposed year in and year out and not really being held accountable by team leaders because team leaders don't know how to lead, manage people or even do the basics of a subordinates given tasks. Also, most leaders aren't the highest performing individuals in their particular department (see nepotism) so if they got tested alongside their subordinates they wouldn't even measure up performance-wise.

Most team leaders are employed due to amount of years they have been at this company not because they are actually effective leaders. Also cumulative knowledge is useless if you are a moron meaning you may have been doing your job wrong all this time but "getting by" just enough not to get fired. Nepotism plays a huge role in this. So the lesson here is even if you are clueless, you will eventually get an office and a higher salary if you just "hang in there" and cozy up to upper management via ass-kissing and blind agreement. Most leaders do NOT even know how to get in the trenches to help subordinates.

And there ARE closet racists working here. I'm talking dumb rednecks who laugh at political correctness because they have a job via nepotism and know HR will never lift a finger. Also this company is on a skeleton crew meaning be prepared to do lots of work even if its outside of your given task list or realm of responsibility because upper management couldn't give a damn about you or the fact that you get underpaid. Never bring up salary increases either as they are a sore subject and average reviews will always be pointed to as a case of you not being eligible for a salary increase.

Still want to work here? Think twice, there are greaner pastures elsewhere TRUST ME.

Advice to Management

Honestly I don't care because management is a lost cause and I no longer work there. Down with the sinking ship you go!

"Not an innovative workplace"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Baker & Taylor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Access to free books and CDs. Decent commute if you live on the southside. Fair salary for job requirements.

Cons

Most workers were previous Wells Fargo employees and apparently they brought their bank mentality with them. Not a friendly social culture. Design and creativity is not valued in comparison to other forward thinking companies. Everyone was nervous about keeping their jobs most of the time.

"Favoritism at its worst and lack of vision"

Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Bridgewater, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Bridgewater, NJ

I worked at Baker & Taylor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't think of any, I was looking for a new job within two weeks of starting there and glad I got out!

Cons

Where do I start, filthy office, broken desk furniture and the favoritism I saw between a director and a direct report/manager was unbelievable it was like watching a master and his puppy dog!

I worked in technology and any suggestions on improvement are met with a resounding NO simply because my manager (the puppy dog) and his boss didn't understand the technology, plus how could you challenge what they did in the past?

I was a full time salaried employee however I felt I was treated like an hourly employee.

Advice to Management

Dump all the middle managers and directors, *maybe* that'll help you get things straightened out but I doubt it.

10. "The worst place of employment in my 26 year career"

Current Employee - Lak in Bridgewater, NJ
    Current Employee - Lak in Bridgewater, NJ

I have been working at Baker & Taylor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get free books that no one else wants

Cons

Management in Charlotte and Bridgewater are idiots and easily threatened by new, intelligent employees.

Advice to Management

Resign