Baker & Taylor Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Baker & Taylor President and CEO George Coe
George Coe

Pros
  • Great company to work and great people (in 7 reviews)

• I worked with an incredible team of bright people while at B&T (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • High retention means little room for advancement (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management does not want to fix the problem even though they know what the problem is (in 8 reviews)

"It Works for What it is"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Baker & Taylor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

somewhat flexible schedule. laid back enviornment

Cons

no opportunity for growth. hit the ceiling coming in the door. no clear direction or feedback from management.

Advice to Management

Take the time to listen to employees. Provide constant feedback that way your decisions as management does not come off as a surprise.

"Terrible Work Environment"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Baker & Taylor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The highlight of the day is getting off. The members of my team are a good bunch to work with overall.

Cons

The only requirement in management is that you are able to read a number on a report. Employee morale is non existent and being micromanaged is taken to entirely new level. If you are looking for any type of support from management, please go elsewhere. I have never worked for a company where you are unable to ask a question and get a knowledgeable answer. Instead that fact that they have no clue is masked by an ongoing exchange of emails between upper management about how you had the gall to ask a question to help perform your job duties. Also, there appears to be a guideline at this company that says once you obtain a position in management that you are able to speak to people in any manner imaginable. I've never seen so many uncouth people in one company. If you have an interview for this company and you currently have a job, please DO NOT leave your current job. It can't be as bad as this.

Advice to Management

Please realize that the success of your company falls on the shoulders of your employees. I have watched you turn a group of people that want to provide great service to drones who don't go the extra mile because of the backlash they receive for trying. There is no employee appreciation. I can also guarantee that more time will be spent trying to determine who wrote this then doing anything to improve the situation. You will never keep good people because they will move onto companies that care about their employees and who actually provide them with the tools to succeed. Someone will appreciate the same people that you devalue daily.

3. "not the best"

Former Employee - Stower in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Stower in Reno, NV

I worked at Baker & Taylor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

LOTS of overtime if thats what you like.

Cons

Get told no whenever you ask for a day off. Play favorites.

Advice to Management

commend your employees more.

"They don't care."

Former Employee - Software Developer in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Pay a little below market. Work life balance was ok most of the time. That is all for the pros. This is the worst company I've worked for so far. I've worked at 4 different companies and I've always stayed at the company for at least 3 years except for this one. I left Baker & Taylor in a year.

Cons

The manager for the team that I was on was terrible. No people skills and no management skills. Half of the development team left in a 4 month span. Upper management does not want to fix the problem even though they know what the problem is. This is the second time that more than half the team has left under this manager. Many people have complained him to the executives, but zero action was taken. So the only thing that employees could do was to leave. The remaining developers cannot leave because they are on a work visa, otherwise they would have left a long time ago.

Benefits are pretty bad for such a large company. Morale is low. The office decor is very depressing.

Advice to Management

The difference between a good company and a bad company is that a good company fixes its problems. Upper management needs to take corrective action when there are issues in the organization.

"Not an innovative workplace"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Baker & Taylor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Access to free books and CDs. Decent commute if you live on the southside. Fair salary for job requirements.

Cons

Most workers were previous Wells Fargo employees and apparently they brought their bank mentality with them. Not a friendly social culture. Design and creativity is not valued in comparison to other forward thinking companies. Everyone was nervous about keeping their jobs most of the time.

"Favoritism at its worst and lack of vision"

Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Bridgewater, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Bridgewater, NJ

I worked at Baker & Taylor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't think of any, I was looking for a new job within two weeks of starting there and glad I got out!

Cons

Where do I start, filthy office, broken desk furniture and the favoritism I saw between a director and a direct report/manager was unbelievable it was like watching a master and his puppy dog!

I worked in technology and any suggestions on improvement are met with a resounding NO simply because my manager (the puppy dog) and his boss didn't understand the technology, plus how could you challenge what they did in the past?

I was a full time salaried employee however I felt I was treated like an hourly employee.

Advice to Management

Dump all the middle managers and directors, *maybe* that'll help you get things straightened out but I doubt it.

8. "The worst place of employment in my 26 year career"

Current Employee - Lak in Bridgewater, NJ
    Current Employee - Lak in Bridgewater, NJ

I have been working at Baker & Taylor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get free books that no one else wants

Cons

Management in Charlotte and Bridgewater are idiots and easily threatened by new, intelligent employees.

Advice to Management

Resign

9. "bullied and harassed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgewater, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgewater, NJ

I have been working at Baker & Taylor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

long standing company, large company that seems to be moving along with the times and current state of the business

Cons

not much paid time off. Medical benefits are not good at all. No recognition for a job well . HR department is a joke. Upper management do not treat their employees well unless they favor them. No training programs to help employees do their jobs effectively. Work loads are impossible to manage.

Advice to Management

treat your employees with respect, we work hard for you. Learn to be fair to everyone not just the ones you favor. stop forcing out veterans.

10. "Horrible work environment and horribly cliched if you don't know very many people."

Former Employee - Assembly in Commerce, GA
    Former Employee - Assembly in Commerce, GA

I worked at Baker & Taylor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay and ok work hours.

Cons

Very Hostile environment, very Cliche group of people and no communication skills at all,lots of broken promises and none...I mean there is no job security At ALL!!!You can lose your job there simply from being sick.

Advice to Management

Better communication and stop treating their employees more than just disposable trash.

"Horrible place to work!"

Former Employee - Manager in Bridgewater, NJ
    Former Employee - Manager in Bridgewater, NJ

I worked at Baker & Taylor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing good about the place.

Cons

Bridgewater management are inept bullies.