Baker & Taylor Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Baker & Taylor President and CEO George Coe
George Coe

Pros
  • Great company to work and great people (in 7 reviews)

• Free books, movies, access to media trends, great customers (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • High retention means little room for advancement (in 6 reviews)

• Everything, slave labor for low pay impossible to meet incentive extreme weather exposure (in 5 reviews)

1. "Outdated technology/management style"

Current Employee - QA Tester in Bridgewater, NJ
    Current Employee - QA Tester in Bridgewater, NJ

I have been working at Baker & Taylor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Healthcare, job security, but not much else in the way of pros.

Cons

Outdated technology, software development process feels decentralized and disorganized, management is rigid and inflexible when it comes to change.

Advice to Management

Be more willing to adopt a dynamic approach with your employees (who are people, after all.) Not calling them "resources" directly would be appreciated.

2. "Not the place to grow"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indian Land, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indian Land, SC

I worked at Baker & Taylor full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People are cool -

Cons

Can't grow with the Company

3. "Sick days"

Current Employee - Order Picker in Momence, IL
    Current Employee - Order Picker in Momence, IL

I have been working at Baker & Taylor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cons

There is nothing to be said that is good for this company at all. Baker & Taylor needs to seriously fix order picking. I hate this place

Advice to Management

Allow more personal days. Some people can't help being sick

"IT infrastructure"

Former Employee - Information Technology in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Information Technology in San Diego, CA

I worked at Baker & Taylor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, most are passionate about what they do

Cons

- employees are grossly under valued. They only way to actually make a decent salary is to leave for a year or 2 and then come back
    - benefits are ok, of the four organization I've worked for they take the most out per paycheck

"Baker and Taylor Corporate Review"

Former Employee - Vice President Transportation in Bridgewater, NJ
    Former Employee - Vice President Transportation in Bridgewater, NJ

I worked at Baker & Taylor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Direct involvement in the company's business fundamentals and operations, with the access required to influence change.

Cons

Limited capital and funding available to effect needed changes.

Advice to Management

Invest more in critical resources needed to move company forward - especially human resources.

"Order Picker/ Lots of work and Low Pay"

Former Employee - Order Picker in Bridgewater, NJ
    Former Employee - Order Picker in Bridgewater, NJ

I worked at Baker & Taylor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meet some great people who are helpful and work hard.

Cons

Everything. Do not work here.

Advice to Management

Fix it from the ground up. Ten dollars an hour under the guise of incentive pay that is unreachable is really messed up in this day and age, they do not even do pay raises....ever. Mandatory overtime with short notice.

"Poor Leadership From the Top Down"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Baker & Taylor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of potential. Close nit group of people that like to have fun.

Cons

There is a lot of disrespect that takes place from management. A lot of gossip and throwing co-workers under the bus to make themselves look good. 95% of the time it's difficult to get the job done because leadership doesn't work well together and are very rarely in sync and I'm talking about Executives, Vice Presidents and Directors. Management can be rude, disrespectful and very unprofessional and many of them and their teams are difficult to work with and unorganized. HR is best friends with most managers so we all know better than to open up to them. Staff is quitting left and right and management isn't showing any concern or desire to make changes. On my team alone, 5 people have quit in less than 7 months.

Advice to Management

Leadership should be better examples and mentors. But that could only happen with a complete wipe out and replace with new faces & better management skills. Focus on the employee. Create activities to engage us and it doesn't take money; it takes real concern and creativity! But, hopefully I'm not around much longer to see if this happens or not.

"Not even mediocre"

Current Employee - Sales in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Sales in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Baker & Taylor full-time

Pros

Flexible work hours. You can buy books, DVD's and CD's at a discount. The people are great to work with and there are some people in key positions that are very good.

Cons

Be ready to work a lot of overtime if you are salaried. The work is piled on. No work/life balance allowed. Frequently skip yearly raises so you are effectively getting a pay cut. No other raises unless you are promoted into a vacant position. The benefits are poor. Only 6 holidays a year, poor 401k match, and be ready to pay most of your own medical bills. Managers have no management training so your bosses skills may be good or bad. If you have a sales comp plan they will find ways to take back money you have earned.

Advice to Management

You need to stop chasing the latest catastrophe stop managing to spreadsheets and learn how to really manage the business based on the needs of the business and the people.

9. "Order Picker/ Lots of work and Low Pay"

Current Employee - Order Picker in Bridgewater, NJ
    Current Employee - Order Picker in Bridgewater, NJ

I have been working at Baker & Taylor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place for working alone without supervision and the other employees are all nice people.

Cons

Where do I begin with the cons here. Well to start do not believe them in the interview process when they tell you it is 10 dollars an hour but you will make more then that because of our incentive program. Its a lie you have to make over a 100% productivity to get incentive pay and only about 2 people in the entire warehouse are doing that at the moment when there is like 50 order pickers right now. It is a lot of work for 10 dollars an hour and you have to meet there 100% productivity within 10 weeks or you will be let go. You have to sign a waiver when you start that says they can let you go if you do not meet this percentage. I have been here for about 4 weeks now and I am pretty good with factory work I have done it a lot in my life but I am only at 84% at the moment, just to hit the 100% you have to run instead of walk and pretty much kill yourself five days a week to meet 100 percent and keep your job that is paying you ten an hour so at most your making 1400 a month to be a marathon runner in a hot factory setting, if you can do anything else ANYTHING for this amount of money per hour I would suggest you do that instead.

Advice to Management

Be able to explain how incentive and productivity works, I have asked upper management on down and not one person can explain to me the scoring system for your days work. One guy picks 20 totes worth of books he gets 150% for the day another guys picks 60 totes worth of books he gets 80% for the day....really? They use to pay 12 an hour for order pickers back in the day now it just seems this is a sneaky way to give you 10 an hour with the false promise of incentive.

"Business Analyst"

Former Employee - Ecommerce Business Systems Analyst in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Ecommerce Business Systems Analyst in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Baker & Taylor (More than a year)

Pros

Nice group to work with

Cons

Changed my job requirements under my nose

Advice to Management

Know what you want out of a position before you hire for it.