BakerHostetler Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Steve Kestner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I thought the work/life balance was better than can be the norm at large law firms" (in 7 reviews)

• "The firm culture is great and fosters one of the friendliest and enjoyable work environments at a big law firm" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "You will work hard but there is a good work/life balance" (in 3 reviews)

• "Being a member of the support staff, of course, there is no room for advancement" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Relaxed Environment"

I have been working at BakerHostetler full-time

Pros

I love everything about my job.

Cons

None really that I can think of.

2. "Associates should tay away from this second-tier firm"

I worked at BakerHostetler full-time

Pros

There are no pros unless you have nowhere else to go.

Cons

The firm is an old boy's club that's obsessed with hierarchy, titles, and seniority instead of good lawyering (probably because there aren't many good lawyers). The pay is below market in every office and associate turnover is high because the firm has no willingness to change, partners are allowed to bully associates and staff, there are no opportunities to move up, the "black box" compensation system means you will make less than most any other firm, and the quality of the partners and cases are poor. They flat out lie to associates in interviews. As another reviewer said "the place where dreams go to die."

3. "Great experience"

Former Employee - IT Department in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - IT Department in Cleveland, OH

I worked at BakerHostetler full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The department has many talented individuals most/all of which work alongside of one another effectively. Wonderful CIO and directors.

Cons

HR is not on your side. Difficult to grow.

Advice to Management

Promote from within

4. "Pretty good firm"

Pros

The firm is laid back with extremely nice people.

Cons

No opportunity for advancement; clock-in system; no remote access.

5. "Stay away"

I worked at BakerHostetler full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fairly good technology, not much else

Cons

oh my, where do I start? Management is awful. HR is about as inhuman as you can get. Not sure who is running the show, but they are clearly not a leader. Cliques. No way to advance. Just awful truly.

Advice to Management

Management needs new blood. HR is so important and yet so mismanaged. It's sad.

6. "Wait until 2019 to work at Baker"

Former Employee - Litigation Paralegal in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Litigation Paralegal in Washington, DC

I worked at BakerHostetler full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very very nice people that I will miss tremendously

Cons

Baker is a revolving door for Associates, with many leaving after a year or less due to lack of work.

Administration and HR is a joke. The administration institutes an absurd policy every few months to remind the minions who is in charge. If you insist on working here wait until June 2019 when new management is in place.

Paralegal management takes over your cases and projects without notifying you when they need billable work. If you protest, you will be ignored and you will find yourself facing firm management, who will warn you to stop making paralegal management feel like you’re trying to get them fired.

Substantive work dried up a long time ago, with paralegal management taking over any scraps that remained. Also, the firm has been eliminating staff in droves, essentially putting the writing on the wall so to speak.

Advice to Management

Rework the entire system.

7. "Thriving office"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at BakerHostetler full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Atlanta office of BakerHostetler is thriving. We were recently named the fastest growing law firm in Atlanta and there is no indication that our growth is slowing down. We also recently received a Top Workplace recognition from the AJC, something we're very proud of. The office is busy with a lot going on but the energy and growth is exciting. We have multiple office appreciation events and there is a real sense of family among the team. The work is interesting and diverse, it's a great time for our firm.

Cons

I don't have any cons. I've worked at other firms and Baker is a great place.

8. "Great Firm"

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Legal Secretary in New York, NY

I worked at BakerHostetler full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful place to work. Great coworkers.

Cons

Not many. Some coworkers gossiped too much.

9. "Thriving office!"

I have been working at BakerHostetler full-time

Pros

The Atlanta office is experiencing positive growth. Bright, modern office space with sit/stand desks for both attorneys and staff. Generous vacation and paid-time off. Great diversity! Lots of opportunities to become involved and give back to the community.

Cons

Office Services Team seems overwhelmed at times. Management seems to be aware - says they are monitoring and will consider adding additional support as office continues to grow. "Growing pains" are expected at the rate this office is growing.

Advice to Management

Continue to thank employees for hard work through wellness days and admin appreciation week. Consider sending employee feedback surveys once or twice a year.

"Despite initial promise, work environment"

I worked at BakerHostetler full-time

Pros

Good Salary and Generous benefits package
    Nearly all benefits were activated on First Day
    Challenging, complex and interesting work
    Vast majority of employees friendly, down-to-earth

Cons

Exceedingly poor management
    Creativity at work frowned upon; seen as a negative
    No appreciation for extra-hours work, attention to detail or process improvement
    Authoritarian management style; NOT team-based
    End-of-year review used as a retaliatory tool instead of as an honest, year-long assessment in toto
    Employees are ORDERED to contribute to the law firm's annual selected charity, and are also provided with the expected minimum amount based on salary. Charitable contributions should always be the individual's private choice - ALWAYS.

Advice to Management

Hire managers who understand people instead of machines. Never threaten your team members that you are going to lose your patience with them. Hire managers who encourage their team members, who recognize their skills and experience - rather than pouncing upon any mistake made, no matter how small or insignificant. See the people you manage as dedicated professionals (that's why you hired them), with your job being to direct their efforts rather than trying to one-up or minimize their efforts. Communicate! The appalling lack of communication in my department caused multiple negative issues, due mostly to management viewing those they manage as mere underlings - of a lower class.